Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tori Concert Experiences - Let's twalk!

A Lotta Pianos Tour 03 in Canandaigua was my first show. (I was 15!!). Being my first, it will always be special, but I also just loved this tour - Matt and Jon were great - the lighting was good - Tori looked and sounded awesome. The venue was a gorgeous amphitheater in upstate NY where I grew up, and it was the perfect summer night. Something about it was just magical. Biggest "stupid me" moment is not liking "Hotel" at the time, but now I would love love love to hear that live. All reminds me of the @ days.

Caught one show on ADP in Syracuse, special as the setlist was great (IMO) and I did make it to a M&G and requested "Northern Lad" which she did play. The photo from that M&G is amazing, she's wearing her bright orange wig, and I was having an awkward phase where I thought dying my hair black looked good. We look like we both have wigs on.

I managed to see the NPR show at LPR in NYC in 2012, thanks to a friend at NPR. Definitely the most special/intimate Tori show I've gotten to see. The setlist was all over the place though - as I think many know from the webcast. I remember being distracted the whole time by this couple next to me who were embracing each other loudly sobbing the WHOLE show - no joke, gasps and grunts and all. Cool experience, but certainly not my stand out. Also - if you were the sobbing couple... fuck you. Other regret was bringing my bf at the time who could give less of 1 fuck about TA.

Still processing the two NYC shows last week - which will always be special for some reasons I'd rather not share - but in all, that's it. I was late to the Tori game (SW was my first in-store purchase) and then I skipped everything after ADP and dove back in on this cycle.
    Last edited by scottslean; 11-13-2017 at 08:47 PM.

gone Andromeda grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeEP View Post
    ^ i might be alone in this but I’ve never been that crazy about Sugar with the band...for me the definitive version will always be the one on the Hey Jupiter EP
    You are NOT alone in your darkness @MikeEP. Me too - everything above! I would just add that generally I am less interested in Sugar than many others.

Quote Originally Posted by scottslean View Post
    I was late to the Tori game (SW was my first in-store purchase) and then I skipped everything after ADP and dove back in on this cycle.
    What brought you back after all this time? That's so cool to me.

Quote Originally Posted by grapefruit_is_winning View Post
    You are NOT alone in your darkness @MikeEP. Me too - everything above! I would just add that generally I am less interested in Sugar than many others.

What brought you back after all this time? That's so cool to me.
    honestly, a mix of things! i did mean that in the context of touring though, I was pretty invested in the album cycle of AATS and dont really mind that album either. After that I think nothing resonated with me, Gold Dust really bothered me and as i’ve said in other threads depise everything about UG. for some reason though once news of NI came out, my ears perked up and once the imagery came out I felt invested. found myself in a rabbit hole diving into the catalog, reading all interviews, etc etc.

that said, i love the album and feel like it’s a return to form of sorts.

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    Have any of you ever ran into the tour buses at a truck stop (that's where many have to stop) or a rest area or where ever?

I'd assume this would be difficult because if you're driving to the venue I'd assume Tori and her tour bus(es) are already there. But maybe it was accidental.

If so.. what happened/who did you see?

I've ran into a few country acts at gas stations/truck stops in Georgia. I think it was Vince Gill's crew that were at the Truckstop we pulled into. His crew were all taking showers, etc.
    "Washing Machiiiiiine" - Kate Bush

can you feel them... patteraren's Avatar
    I've been to 14 shows since 1998, all of them Chicago. the dates are in my signature

it's sad that I saw her 10x in the first 10 years and then now the last 10 years it's only been 4 times. ol girl is slowing down.
    Last edited by patteraren; 11-19-2017 at 11:48 PM.
    | 7.19.98 Chicago | 9.11.99 Chicago | 10.23.01 Chicago | 11.27.02 Chicago | 8.10.03 & 8.11.03 Chicago | 4.15.05 Chicago | 8.31.05 Chicago | 11.5.07 & 11.6.07 Chicago | 8.3.09 Chicago | 12.10.11 Chicago | 8.5.14 Chicago | 10.27.17 Chicago |

these days just seem to crush me
    Quote Originally Posted by patteraren View Post

I met Tori at M&G the 2002 show. I think my friend and I got there at like 10am, it was freezing cold, the day before Thanksgiving. I don't remember much of what fell out of my mouth when I spoke to her, but I do remember requesting Take To The Sky, which we got. and I will never forget the girl in the first row who stood up and started beating the stage to the beat of Cornflake Girl.
    YES, i remember her! i was off to the side in front, even tori had to hold back laughter. and i was thinking about her back at the chcago theater this year, like "i wonder if she is here!" ha

At my first show she still did after show signings, so when i met her in the afternoon in 94 there were only 4 other people! And then after the gig when leaving we wonderered why there was this huge queue by the stage door, and joined it! It was past midnight we got let in, and she'd seen over 100 already, but remembered my name from the afternoon which i thought was so so great and added to the addiction of gigs!
    There's too many things to mention as highlights/lowlights, things that stick in my mind were having eggs thrown at the m+g crowd by people in the flats opposite (hammersmith 2003), i remember people around me in 96 thinking the harpsi was weird (embrace it people!), the Manc 98 show being so special, the standing gigs in 98 being so tightly squeezed on that front row we all thought we were going to pass out, Front row middle for the festival hall gig in 99 is probably still the biggest highlight, it was amazing. Union chapel - queueing all day yet the meet barriers got put out when i went to the loo for 2 minutes!
    Got to go my 1 year old wants some mummy cuddles so i'll be back later to write more - i missed my first british show since 98 last month when i couldn't get to glasgow, i guess having a son means i have to miss Tori (i'll make him realise the sacrifices i made when he's grown up!!!!)

can you feel them... patteraren's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by just me View Post
    Front row middle for the festival hall gig in 99 is probably still the biggest highlight, it was amazing.
    I wish I could have been there for that show. I love the bootleg. it's one that I wish she'd do a soundboard release of.
    | 7.19.98 Chicago | 9.11.99 Chicago | 10.23.01 Chicago | 11.27.02 Chicago | 8.10.03 & 8.11.03 Chicago | 4.15.05 Chicago | 8.31.05 Chicago | 11.5.07 & 11.6.07 Chicago | 8.3.09 Chicago | 12.10.11 Chicago | 8.5.14 Chicago | 10.27.17 Chicago |