Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Introducing someone to Tori... ?

Introducing someone to Tori... ?

Hey, first of all I'm sorry - I'm sure there are threads about this, but I've looked through the last few years and can't find what I'm looking for...

Just curious what you guys think are great songs (or playlists) for someone who is curious about Tori, but doesn't know any of her stuff.

Some of the more accessible (obvious / singles):
    Spark
    SATY (the first Tori song I ever heard, and the song that made me fall in love with her...)
    Bliss
    Fairytale
    Big Wheel
    Bouncing off clouds
    Trouble's lament
    CALS
    Hey Jupiter

what else do you suggest?
    and feel free to link me to other threads in this vein, and I'll close this one...

Thanks so much!

I hate that phrase but it really depends - in that case on this person's music taste (piano ballads? classical music? electronic stuff, rock, dance remixes?). Given how stylistically rich Tori's music is, I find it quite harmful to choose only "safe" or "accessible" songs as a way to get into Tori. If I was hoping to make somebody love her, I'd get this person a bottle of good wine, decent armchair and set him/her in a journey with Boys for Pele. Or with Scarlet's Walk, but rather on a sunbed with a pitcher of sangria.

Though with accessible songs I'd go with sth from TBK (like SWB or StS) and Fire to Your Plain (can't stoploving her since 2009)

Quote Originally Posted by mich. View Post
    I'd go with sth from TBK (like SWB or StS) and Fire to Your Plain (can't stoploving her since 2009)
    I totally agree. I'm not looking for "accessible" per se, I just was looking to make a 1hr-ish playlist to give an overview for someone who has never heard of her. I love BFP songs, and although Pele would be amazing, maybe ONE of Blood Roses / CALS / Pro Widow would be enough, eh? Idk lol. Looking for your opinions!

I know ppl have gotten into her just because of Pele, but I also know first-timers who would be totally thrown off bc of that record. So...

Edit - fire to your plain is one that i love, and i completely forgot about. thanks!

It's always a mystery to me why certain people react to Tori songs in the way they do. I have tried playing specific Tori songs for friends and family based on their musical tastes, and it goes wrong every time.

I have an uber-straight, macho cousin in the Marine Corps who, for whatever reason, still to this day loves Mr. Zebra and brings it up any time we're together. He heard it one day as a teenager when I was playing Tori in the background, and he went home and downloaded it. My sister who listens mostly to top 40 and rap puts Raspberry Swirl on almost every playlist she makes. A good friend of mine listens mostly to dudes with guitars (John Mayer, Jason Mraz, that kind of stuff) but absolutely loves Tori's cover of Famous Blue Raincoat and the live version of her Dream On cover (despite how awful her voice is on that boot, but that's another topic).

So my suggestion is to throw a wide mix of styles on there, because you never know why or how someone will respond to certain songs.

I'd argue that Sweet the Sting, Sleeps With Butterflies, and Fire to Your Plain are not accessible, just boring. Accessible would be something like Spark which is very 90s alternative, or A Sorta Fairytale which did really well on AC radio. There's also a reason why Cornflake Girl did so well, so I'd probably include that. I still love the studio version of that song even if I never want to hear it live again.

My dude really likes Northern Lad, and not much else. Not even Tori Amos fans can agree on what her best is, just go for a mix.

Quote Originally Posted by mich. View Post
    I hate that phrase but it really depends - in that case on this person's music taste (piano ballads? classical music? electronic stuff, rock, dance remixes?). Given how stylistically rich Tori's music is, I find it quite harmful to choose only "safe" or "accessible" songs as a way to get into Tori. If I was hoping to make somebody love her, I'd get this person a bottle of good wine, decent armchair and set him/her in a journey with Boys for Pele. Or with Scarlet's Walk, but rather on a sunbed with a pitcher of sangria.

Though with accessible songs I'd go with sth from TBK (like SWB or StS) and Fire to Your Plain (can't stoploving her since 2009)
    It's all about different tastes of course but I totally agree with Ryan. Why would you want to recommend relatively bland songs that do not represent the legacy of Tori's vast catalogue when introducing her to someone new. Songs like Precious Things, Winter, Cornflake Girl, Spark, A Sorta Fairytale are all very different to start with and were relative crowd pleasers as well.
    And there are the songs that were not necessarily hits but resonate well like Cooling, Leather, Honey, Carbon, Icicle...

Quote Originally Posted by Rabih View Post
    It's all about different tastes of course but I totally agree with Ryan. Why would you want to recommend relatively bland songs that do not represent the legacy of Tori's vast catalogue when introducing her to someone new. Songs like Precious Things, Winter, Cornflake Girl, Spark, A Sorta Fairytale are all very different to start with and were relative crowd pleasers as well.
    And there are the songs that were not necessarily hits but resonate well like Cooling, Leather, Honey, Carbon, Icicle...
    That is what I wanted to say - accessible (inoffensive, radio-friendly) songs might not represent well Tori's output (btw is there a song/record that would ? an era maybe, but not a whole career), but I suggested them upon @farfel's request.

I remember these two TBK songs being in the top of Polish radio charts back in 2005 for a longer time, introducing Tori to a vast audience - including me as if it wasnt for The Beekeeper I might have never fallen in love with T's music. So I stand behind them, even knowing after all these years that they're not masterpieces comparing to her earlier records (plus Native Invader). FTYP is a different story, just a guilty pleasure song that I find very catchy.

Nevertheless I applaud poeple who make an effort trying to introduce others to Tori, I wouldn't be able to do this with my obsessive approach towards her live performances ('You like this Fairytale song, don't you? Ok let's take a look how she has changed it live since Scarlet's Walk tour, with a band and solo! Can you imagine it lasts up to 11 minutes on Native Invader tour?')

My sister and I have a pretty similar taste in music, but for some reason she doesn't like Tori much. She does love Native Invader, Strange and Jamaica Inn, though. The last two songs are not the ones I'd put in a "begginers' playlist" but are really great, so, who knows.
    I will be safe in my frame.

Twenty Essentials

01. i i e e e
    02. Spring Haze
    03. Precious Things
    04. Hey Jupiter
    05. Spark
    06. Upside Down
    07. Siren
    08. Sugar (Still Orbiting)
    09. Flavor
    10. Cornflake Girl
    11. a sorta fairytale
    12. Bouncing off Clouds
    13. Smells Like Teen Spirit
    14. Climb
    15. Juarez
    16. Garlands
    17. Beauty Queen/Horses
    18. Zero Point
    19. Reindeer King
    20. Gold Dust

A Matter Of How You See It Kala's Avatar
    This is a mixture of upbeat and slow songs. Since it's an introduction, I would steer them away from anything off TBK-AAtS.

Earthquakes:

Mother
    Winter
    Precious Things

Pink:

Pretty Good Year
    Cornflake Girl
    God

Pele:

Father Lucifer
    Caught a Lite Sneeze
    Doughnut Song

Choirgirl:

Spark
    Jackie's Strength
    Playboy Mommy

Venus:

Bliss
    Suede
    Concertina

Scarlet:

A Sorta Fairytale
    Pancake
    Gold Dust

Geraldines:

Weatherman
    Selkie
    Forest of Glass

Invader:

Reindeer King
    Breakaway
    Climb

B-Sides:

Sugar (Plugged)
    Cooling
    Here. In My Head

Well guess what Mimi, WE DID. Octopussy's Avatar
    Tori has way too much music, there was a time my "greatest hits" mix might have worked but now I would probably do something quite different depending on who was hearing it.
    ETA: I don't think I would use anything lame like FTYP or SWB unless it was for my mom or something. That doesn't represent Tori at her best IMO -- if I want "lighter fare" I would go with Fairytale, Baker, TIYH... stuff that's actually good.

I would also not be too concerned about representing every single album. There's enough good stuff on Scarlet, Geraldines, and Native Invader to represent 2002-present. Plus someone who likes Choirgirl & Pele isn't guaranteed to like NOH or SW.
    Last edited by Octopussy; 11-06-2017 at 09:14 PM.

Last edited by BrotherNamedErised; 08-01-2018 at 09:34 PM.

Well guess what Mimi, WE DID. Octopussy's Avatar
    ^ I'd certainly be hooked.

Although
    Highness in the Sky >>>>>> Darkest Hour

my friend hated tori for years. in 2013 i had a spare ticket for the light princess and she came, and got intrigued, and asked me to make a mix cd... this is the first one, and i guess it hooked her enough to want 7 more! she totally loves and respects tori amos now. a tori mix cd can be completely tailored to any individual dependent on their interests and musical tastes - this playlist is a mix of songs that were personal to my friend (a winters carol, because the light princess closed with the song based on this one....and datura, because she loves gardening and flowers..) to ease them in, and a handful of songs that are kind of baseline tori amos - like, if you dont like these, maybe dont bother? (for me: horses, gold dust, here in my head, upside down, sneeze, mother)

1. winters carol
    2. datura
    3. gold dust
    4. pretty good year (soundcheck WTSF)
    5. 1000 oceans
    6. upside down
    7. caught a lite sneeze
    8. hey jupiter (dakota)
    9. mother
    10. here in myhead
    11. bells for her (harpsi, live 96)
    12. tear in your hand
    13. bq/horses
    14. little earthquakes

Last edited by BrotherNamedErised; 08-01-2018 at 09:35 PM.