Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Introducing someone to Tori... ?

my friend hated tori for years. in 2013 i had a spare ticket for the light princess and she came, and got intrigued, and asked me to make a mix cd... this is the first one, and i guess it hooked her enough to want 7 more! she totally loves and respects tori amos now. a tori mix cd can be completely tailored to any individual dependent on their interests and musical tastes - this playlist is a mix of songs that were personal to my friend (a winters carol, because the light princess closed with the song based on this one....and datura, because she loves gardening and flowers..) to ease them in, and a handful of songs that are kind of baseline tori amos - like, if you dont like these, maybe dont bother? (for me: horses, gold dust, here in my head, upside down, sneeze, mother)

1. winters carol
    2. datura
    3. gold dust
    4. pretty good year (soundcheck WTSF)
    5. 1000 oceans
    6. upside down
    7. caught a lite sneeze
    8. hey jupiter (dakota)
    9. mother
    10. here in myhead
    11. bells for her (harpsi, live 96)
    12. tear in your hand
    13. bq/horses
    14. little earthquakes

Quote Originally Posted by Octopussy View Post
    ^ I'd certainly be hooked.

Although
    Highness in the Sky >>>>>> Darkest Hour
    I was really, really torn between the two, but I kind of wanted a classic sweeping Tori ballad in there somewhere, so "Darkest Hour" won me over. But you're absolutely right, "Highness in the Sky" is spellbinding.

i think Caught a Lite Sneeze is a good one because it’s really just quintessential Tori. If someone doesn’t like that one enough to want to hear more I doubt they’ll end up liking more than a song or two.

Some songs definitely have to be on a Introducing Tori playlist, imo. Caught A Lite Sneeze, Blood Roses, Precious Things, Silent All These Years, Cornflake Girl, Winter, Crucify, ASF (songs that most of us would call safe on a setlist ).

My playlist would go like this:

Bliss
    Crucify
    A Sorta Fairytale
    Caught A Lite Sneeze
    Silent All These Years
    Blood Roses
    Spark
    Climb
    America
    Pancake
    Cornflake Girl
    Flying Dutchman
    Winter
    Pretty Good Year
    Precious Things
    Mr Zebra
    Purple People
    Forest Of Glass
    Up The Creek
    I will be safe in my frame.

I don't know why but it bugs me when I see Mr. Zebra on these types of lists. (Looking at you TOAL!)

trapped in the worst timeline just owls's Avatar
    I have no advice, but good luck. I turned two friends onto Tori. One is very open to outside-the-box music, so I first made her a playlist full of things like Blood Roses, CALS, Suede, i i e e e. I gave her everything I had along with it as well. She came back to me days later telling me how amazing Tori is. I asked what her favorites were. "I can't remember all of the songs offhand, but I LOVE THE BEEKEEPER and American Doll Posse! Those are definitely my favorite albums."

The other friend, who doesn't know anything if it's not on the radio, I made her a playlist of things like Winter, SATY, Toast. She responded most to Pele. I will never make anyone a Tori playlist again because apparently I know nothing.

It was always the piano-heavy side of Tori that attached me first, so Mother has always been my go to song to introduce her to people. I also think, for me, that the rookery ending of Springtime encapsulates a lot of what I love about her in a brief 40 seconds so I like the idea of having people listen to that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by toriMODE View Post
    I don't know why but it bugs me when I see Mr. Zebra on these types of lists. (Looking at you TOAL!)
    Same here. It's a little weird that she chose to include it on Venus, Tales of a Librarian and A Piano over several more significant songs from her canon.

thirst world problems Octopussy's Avatar
    Wing covered Mr. Zebra, which clearly puts it among her greatest hits.

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...lbookliste2-20

^(A) Wing can cover all sorts of things....
    Last edited by her every cry; 11-28-2017 at 01:44 AM.
    you have touched my life
    so that now cathedrals of sound are singing

gone Andromeda grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    At the end of the day, I think Precious Things and Cornflake Girl have to be there. Precious for its themes, and Cornflake for its wackiness. You could simply start with those two to see if they generate further interest.

Secondarily, I would be inclined to add:

Crucify, Silent All These Years, Caught a Lite Sneeze, Spark (for the band), A Sorta Fairytale, Space Dog, and maybe Honey.

If your friend is still interested, then I'd go batshit: Yes Anastasia, Blood Roses, Hotel, Siren, Juarez.

If they are STILL interested, they were born to be a fan and you should expose them to all of it

thirst world problems Octopussy's Avatar
    Ok I made something!! A three tier retrospective covering every major release 1988-2017.
    Fits onto 3 discs at 1 hour, 20 minutes each RHINO, if you're reading this, UR WELCOME.

Disc 1 - "Tales" inspired set

Disc 2 - less ballads, more dance party

Disc 3 - many personal faves!

Statistically speaking, I think I'm on point:
    Last edited by Octopussy; 12-07-2017 at 08:44 AM. Reason: antfucking as I listen