Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Road to the 2018 Academy Awards

Quote Originally Posted by grapefruit_is_winning View Post
    Who do y'all want to see win Best Actress?

I think I have to go with Margot Robbie. She is just so utterly entertaining and charismatic and captivating in that role. Love love love
    I'd love to see Robbie win; I have very mixed feelings about the actual movie, but she does brilliant work in it. Ronan would also be well-deserved and may well turn out to be the big upset of the night. Streep's nomination was predictable but more of a symbolic gesture than anything else. I still haven't seen Shape of Water, but Sally Hawkins is never less-than-spectacular.

Truthfully, I would be happy to see anyone else get up on that stage other than Frances McDormand, but I realise that she's the top contender.

Quote Originally Posted by grapefruit_is_winning View Post
    Who do y'all want to see win Best Actress?

I think I have to go with Margot Robbie. She is just so utterly entertaining and charismatic and captivating in that role. Love love love
    I still LOVE Frances' performance but I also like Saoirse.

Only knows desire. Perky Compson's Avatar
    I adore Allison Janney, but I wasn't really in love with her performance in I, Tonya. I felt as if I'd seen it from her before.

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    We still have the BAFTAs to shake things up but if I was a betting man with a lot of money, I wouldn't go against McDormand.
    The only acting category that even has a chance to go against GG, SAG, Critics Choice trifecta would be Laurie Metcalf upsetting Janney.

Best Picture is going to be really interesting because all the films that needed something to happen like getting a directing nomination (Get Out, Ladybird) got it. Films that needed to miss a category to bring them down a peg (Three Billboards).. that happened too. And Shape of Water moves in as a favorite after it won the PGA.

Editing is a big deal for best picture and both SoW and Three Billboards got in.

Paul Thomas Anderson getting in for directing is a shock. Oscar hasn't really given him a lot of love since There Will Be Blood. And he more than likely knocked Spielberg/Luca/McDonagh out.
    PTA is the only director that's been nominated before.

Dunkirk, btw, did really well, too.
    Last edited by Volta; Today at 01:12 AM.
    "Washing Machiiiiiine" - Kate Bush

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    Jordan Peele is the first African American man to get a Producer/Director/Writer - all three nomination. Historic.
    "Washing Machiiiiiine" - Kate Bush

I’ve seen four of the five Actress performances. (Not Streep yet: I’m sure she’s great.). Honestly, I’d be fine with any of ‘em, because they’re all great. If I were choosing now, I’d go with Saoirse. And Laurie Metcalf. And I’m saying that after thinking of their scenes together.
    At my core, I think we're gonna be OK.

Barack Hussein Obama

gone Andromeda grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BrotherNamedErised View Post
    Truthfully, I would be happy to see anyone else get up on that stage other than Frances McDormand, but I realise that she's the top contender.
    Totally agree. Three Billboards is a good movie, but not a super great movie to me. And I feel like I've seen that FM before.