Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Road to the 2018 Academy Awards

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar

Road to the 2018 Academy Awards

It's that time of year, folks. Weather gets colder, award buzz boils over.

CALENDAR OF EVENTS

Seems as though early predictions have
    Dunkirk
    Mudbound
    Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
    Ladybird
    The Florida Project
    The Darkest Hour
    I, Tonya
    The Shape of Water
    Call Me By Your Name
    Get Out
    The Big Sick --- as the lead contenders for picture and acting awards this year.

Get Out has a lot of momentum since it leads with the most nominations at the Gotham's this year. The ceremony will be on on Nov 27th. Of course momentum will shake and shift almost weekly as more and more guilds and critics awards are announced. But Get Out has the first push.
    The Gotham Awards get more and more popular and more credible each year for predicting nominees and winners.

Gotham Award Nominations:
    Last edited by Volta; 11-28-2017 at 12:50 AM.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

Image Award Nominations:
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

Independent Spirit Awards Nominations:
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

Gotham Highlights:
    Best Feature Film - Call Me By Your Name WOW
    Breakthrough Actor - Timothee Chalamet for CMBYN
    Best Ensemble - Mudbound
    Best Actor - James Franco for the Disaster Artist
    Best Actress - Saoirse Ronan for Lady Bird
    Audience Award - Get Out
    Breakthrough Director - Jordan Peele for Get Out
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

All you Oscarologists please check out the National Board of Review Winners:

Things are starting to shape up. Seeing where the trends are going. It's still early on in the race to Gold but you're seeing which movies the critics are in general agreement with and some surprising films getting momentum like THE DISASTER ARTIST and THE POST.

GET OUT is also really starting to show itself as a solid contender for Best Picture nomination.
    Also, if Greta Gerwig isnt a lock for a nomination in directing then it's gonna really piss me off. She's the one everyone has been excited about in these early awards and the movie is the highest ranked film at Rotten Tomatoes with a 100% score from 165 sources. The record was 100% with 163 and I just forgot what that film was. I think it was an animated picture.
    Last edited by Volta; 11-28-2017 at 09:37 PM.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

I really want Three Billboards Outside of Ebbing Missouri to get all the noms and wins it can! One of my favorite films of the year so far and Frances McDormand should be a Best Actress lock!

^I'm routing for Fran. She's incredible. And the Meryl worship has gotten way out of hand. (Yes, I'm sure she's very good in The Post. What else is new.)

Quote Originally Posted by plastic•husband View Post
    ^I'm routing for Fran. She's incredible. And the Meryl worship has gotten way out of hand. (Yes, I'm sure she's very good in The Post. What else is new.)
    Hah, couldn't agree more. I was thinking about this earlier today, about how Frances is such an actor's actor, always turns in solid work while Meryl is more polished, but less convincing imo.

It's between Meryl, Fran, and Sally Hawkins right now. And I'd think Meryl would win if the votes were taken now.
    These things shift and flip. And of course there is a backlash if someone is winning too much. Still a long time til the awards but this is a really exciting year. Especially for best picture. You definitely have an even split of hardcores for Lady Bird, Three Billboards, The Post, Dunkirk, The Darkest Hour, and The Florida Project.

I can't weigh in on any of them as I haven't seen them yet. CRIES. So jealous of you all!
    Going off trailers, hype, and reviews I'm leaning towards Lady Bird for Best Pic.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

Quote Originally Posted by Volta View Post
    Also, if Greta Gerwig isnt a lock for a nomination in directing then it's gonna really piss me off. She's the one everyone has been excited about in these early awards and the movie is the highest ranked film at Rotten Tomatoes with a 100% score from 165 sources. The record was 100% with 163 and I just forgot what that film was. I think it was an animated picture.
    Rotten Tomatoes is a pretty rough measurement of quality though. It ranks movies according to a binary rotten/fresh system, it doesn't differentiate between say a lukewarm endorsement and a rave review. Yeah, a fresh rating means that a movie was favorably reviewed. But realistically, the best art is often at least a little divisive. Looking at the top rated movies of all time at Rotten Tomatoes, Get Out and Mad Max: Fury Road is at number 4 and 5. I liked those movies, but there's no way they are among the 5 best movies ever made. Hell, Wonder Woman is at no. 22!

Last edited by BrotherNamedErised; 08-01-2018 at 09:58 PM.

I am also rooting for Margot Robbie!!!
    I love Figure Skating. I love everything about this script. I'm an insufferable know-it-all when it comes to Tonya Harding. So.. I'm very excited about this. Can't wait for it to hit the theaters and see if Tonya publicly comments on the film.. or even sees it.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Sam Rockwell is AMAZING in Three Billboards.

I saw someone mention that if Laurie Metcalf wins, 3 generations of Roseanne's "family" will have won an Oscar

Nana Mary (Shelley Winters), Best Supporting Actress, 1959 and 1965
    Beverly Harris (Estelle Parsons), Best Supporting Actress, 1972
    Jackie Harris (Laurie Metcalf), Best Supporting Actress, 2017

With the Roseanne reboot coming in 2018, this could be perfect timing.

I think Laurie has this. She also won 3 Emmys and a Tony.

New York Film Critics Circle Awards 2017 winners

Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.