Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Road to the 2018 Academy Awards

Quote Originally Posted by plastic•husband View Post
    LOL, Hugh Grant for Paddington 2? Over Richard Jenkins, Armie Hammer, Michael Stuhlbarg?
    Richard Jenkins deserves all the nominations for TSOW!

Saw I, Tonya and The Post this weekend. Post & TSOW will probably duke it out for Best Picture. Sebastian Stan probably won't get a nom for his work in I,Tonya, but he deserves one. I had no idea I was watching Bucky from the Captain America films up on screen. Margot Robbie I thought also did an excellent job, and I wouldn't be mad if she got a nom. Streep was dynamite in The Post as well, but I think this year the Best Actress category is Sally Hawkins' to lose for TSOW.

I’d say it’s between Sally and Saoirse right now. Toss-up at this point.
    At my core, I think we're gonna be OK.

Barack Hussein Obama

^Hmm, not to jinx her chances but I think Frances is the hottest choice. She’s been walking away with every award she’s been nominated for lately.

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    If Frances wins the fn SAG... she'll be unbeatable.

My criterion for Best Actress is probably not your criterion.. and it's probably not what it was even last year, but I think Margot Robbie should win. And she probably won't win anything from this point on.

Yet, sometimes a nomination is an award in itself. Margot, I'd say, is a lock. You just never know. They like to be funky sometimes in the actress categories. If they do put a surprise up, I don't see it hurting her.

If Chau and Blige can both make it to supporting that will be a surprise to me. I think Laurie and Allison are fighting for it. Octavia gets in because TSOW was incredible, she was great and Oscar loves her... but other than that.. Holly Hunter getting in wouldn't surprise me at all.
    Last edited by Volta; 01-15-2018 at 08:23 AM.
    Yes, even I can misspell four-letter words. Can you imagine that pewp?

Only knows desire. Perky Compson's Avatar
    I just saw Three Billboards and want it to win endless awards. McDormand and Rockwell were incredible.

I'm sorry to say that I kind of had the opposite reaction to Three Billboards. And I'm tired of Frances McDormand parading her scowl everywhere and calling that a performance.

Seen 'The Darkest Hour' and I think as a performance, it was good, but it was just your classic overly-theatrical English WW2 performance with added prosthetics- and I absolutley hated that every male actor portrayed their character as pronouncing R's as W's.. Would love a more nuanced performance to take the Oscar over Oldman. Come on Chalamet!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve SFM View Post
    I’d say it’s between Sally and Saoirse right now. Toss-up at this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by dAmION View Post
    ^Hmm, not to jinx her chances but I think Frances is the hottest choice. She’s been walking away with every award she’s been nominated for lately.
    Interesting, one plays a character that can't speak at all and the other plays a character that doesn't know when to shut up. My personal pick thus far is Hawkins and I think she's also the safe bet, too. You know the trend goes that for performances a disability=award at the Oscars.

Finally saw Lady Bird, and...it was good. Maybe I let the hype get to me, but I was expecting something a bit more. Given the crop of great films I've already seen in 2017, I'd not be surprised if it got some Oscar noms (actress, supporting actress, screenplay, etc) but I'd really be surprised if it came away with any actual Oscar wins.

^Crispy, I felt the exact same way. I went in thinking.. damn, FINALLY, they're going to nominate Greta for something and it will be directing. At that time the only lock for director was Nolan.
    I thought that Frances Ha was a sensation. It was wonderfully directed and edited. It had something that a lot of movies that year didn't and that was heart. Wonderful backdrops and really top notch stuff going on. Very hip.

Lady Bird wasn't any of that.. it certainly isn't that great an achievement in directing. I mean, there are some films that have direction that isn't just a bit more seamless and smooth.. but images and camera angles and blocking that you know took directors like Luca and Jordan and Del Toro and Villeneuve and Wright, and even Patty Jenkins and a movie like IT! with Andrés Muschietti.. so beautiful that film. I just can't say Greta was better than any of them. She is certainly better than Martin McDonagh, imo, though.

One of my favorite directed films is I, Tonya. A movie that relies almost entirely on a singular kind of aesthetic or it falls apart. If you waver from it you lose what it has going for itself. Which is why I can't believe no one is even considering Craig Gillespie.
    Last edited by Volta; 01-17-2018 at 10:36 AM.

If TSOW wins all the big stuff, I won't complain. Sorry to say this year just wasn't that great in film.. well, actually it was really great but not the films that are getting so much love at Oscar.
    Last year I thought was incredible! Arrival, La La Land, Moonlight, Hidden Figures.. Fences, Jackie, Elle.. and on and on.
    I saw La La Land and Arrival multiple times before the Oscar ceremony.. La La Land so many I won't own up to it.

nostalgia. sniff sniff.

Ratings went down this year from last at The Globes. I think the ratings will probably be down at The Oscars this year from last. A number of reasons why but if you just focus on film and the films alone... you can make some arguments that they didn't have the energetic audiences. Dunkirk.. Darkest Hour.. The Post.. oscar bait of the oldest standard and hardly any audience outside the art houses. Even CMBYN and TSOW aren't easily digested although I love them.
    Last edited by Volta; 01-17-2018 at 10:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Volta View Post
    If TSOW wins all the big stuff, I won't complain. Sorry to say this year just wasn't that great in film.. well, actually it was really great but not the films that are getting so much love at Oscar...
    Well, the Oscar noms are still a week away. I'm sure all the GG films will be recognized, but what films are you predicting will be missing? I think 2017 was pretty damn good year for film.

As a lover of action and superhero films, I think that genre gets shafted too often outside of the technical categories. For example, Thor: Ragnarok & Spider-Man: Homecoming should easily be in contention for screenplay and directing nods. Hamill getting an acting nom for TLJ shouldn't be a crazy idea yet it is. Ditto for Jackman & Stewart in LOGAN.

Blade Runner:2049, Mother!, Get Out, Split, and Baby Driver all also come to mind as great films in 2017 that could be yet aren't getting awards buzz for the writing, directing, and/or acting categories. :/

The Post is a good film. I think it is a movie you can watch more than once to pick up on things you missed before. BUT.. most of the Oscar-Bait scenes are all done when a character is on the telephone. Cuts some of the drama away.

I did like Meryl's performance. I think she had to walk that thin line of being true to a character that wasn't a libber, made her piece with a traditional role for women back then.. but also seem strong and progressive. Some things were laid on way too thickly and felt forced.

I'd actually like to see the NYT's pov in a film like this. I'll have to read up on more of that.

Trust and believe this movie will be played for years to come in high school history/civic's classrooms.
    Last edited by Volta; 01-18-2018 at 02:53 PM.

Anyone else watching the SAG Awards? Only TV awards so far.

Barack Hussein Obama

Allison Janney and Sam Rockwell. Two freight trains.

Barack Hussein Obama

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    And Skarsgard again. He looked genuine surprised and it's been very fun to watch his hair grow back slowly this awards season.

I noticed Aziz didn't show up. But Geoffrey Rush did. I saw David Franco, but not sure if James is there.

And oh boy I forget how much I despise Gabrielle Carteris until I see her. She's so awful. She's never done anything particular wrong, but she raises all the hackles on my neck for some unknown reason. A deep and decades-long aversion for absolutely no reason.