Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Road to the 2018 Academy Awards

I'm coming in late!

A lot of strength for Saorise so far. We do have to remember that Jessica Chastain is coming! Depending on how Molly's Game hits, she might be strong. It certainly feels like it's about her time. But I dunno....I'm starting to feel some inevitability around Saorise. I mean, she's positively iconic in the role. This might be one of those Brie Larson deals where she starts winning early and it's just a steamroller.

No thoughts on actors yet, except you might as fucking well engrave Gary Oldman's name on all the statues right now. He's as close to an Oscar lock as we have right now.

Nice to see Willem Dafoe doing so well. I'd really like to see him win, because as the only noted actor in The Florida Project, I think he lifted the others. I want to say one thing about Three Billboards, though: as great as Sam Rockwell is, I think Woody Harrelson is even better. And yeah, Laurie Metcalf is really strong, but watch for Allison Janney coming up on the side with another Difficult Mother! That'll be an interesting race.

More later. LA Critics dropping their awards right now!
    Last edited by Steve SFM; 12-03-2017 at 10:13 PM.
    At my core, I think we're gonna be OK.

Barack Hussein Obama

Looks like it's going to be an interesting year. I would love a Timothee Chalamet upset for Best Actor, or an anyone else upset. Gary Oldman is great but that casting is such Oscar bait. I mean, why not just cast an actor who actually looks the part (Jim Broadbent, Brendan Gleeson) instead of making the whole movie about this this "shocking transformation"?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve SFM View Post
    I want to say one thing about Three Billboards, though: as great as Sam Rockwell is, I think Woody Harrelson is even better.
    Totally agree. I had some problems with this film, but I thought that Harrelson was the standout in terms of supporting players.

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    LA FIlM Critics Winners:

Finally The Shape of Water is getting the love it was predicted to get.. months ago, btw.
    Miss Vanjieeee. Miss Vanjiee. ..Miss Van..

It looks like Timothée Chalamet is building momentum in the Best Actor race. I think he's going to be a front runner, not an upset if he wins. Call Me by Your Name is also doing very well in limited release (apparently it has the year's best per screen average earnings so far) which helps.

Yeah, I didn't think this would be a race, but it's a race. At least now. Critics' awards are always a bit edgier than the Big Three (GG, SAG, Oscar) If Oldman wins GG and SAG, he's back to a steamroller. If they split, the race will be close. If Chalamet wins both, I think he gets the Oscar. Right now, there's now a lot of wind at the back of both him and his movie. I think we can call Armie Hammer a lock for supporting nod in all three of the races. And, I think the film gets all the major nominations.

Barack Hussein Obama

Chalamet has already won two Critics Circles (New York and Los Angeles) as well as best newcomer at the Gotham Awards. And CMBYN has much more buzz than Darkest Hour. I know it's super early though.

The exciting thing is just how much of an even race this looks to be for Actor and Supp. Actor.
    Chalamet and Gary Oldman have the early lead but The Post and Phantom Thread aren't going to be in theaters for most people til after Christmas and you certainly can't count out Daniel Day Lewis and Tom Hanks.
    I'm curious to see who gets in the 4th and 5th spots with James Franco and Jake Gyllenhaal starting to get momentum.
    Denzel is a wildcard for me. The movie didn't do well at all but The Academy loves him. We'll see.

I'm not absolutely sure if Armie Hammer gets in supporting over Michael Stuhlbarg. Michael Stuhlbarg is getting a lot of buzz. Of course both could be nominated but then they'd split the vote so who knows. Same problem for Three Billboards. Sam Rockwell or Woody Harrelson?

Critics' Choice Award Nominations!!

The biggest awards nominations since The Spirit Awards.

1.) SO SO FN excited that Patrick Stewart is being thrown in the race for LOGAN. One of my fav movies of the year and his performance is one of my favorites by any actor I've seen so far.
    2.) Sufjan nominated for Best Song.
    3.) Tiffany Haddish nominated for Girls Trip in two categories!!!
    4.) Surprised Blade Runner got so many tech nominations deservedly so.. but it didn't do well at the Box Office and typically that is a factor when there are so many movies with visual effects as the main element.

Shape of Water has the most nominations

Here are the Best Picture nominations:

The Big Sick

Call Me by Your Name

Darkest Hour

Dunkirk

The Florida Project

Get Out

Lady Bird

The Post

The Shape of Water

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

How many of them have you seen already?
    I've only seen Dunkirk and The Big Sick
    Last edited by Volta; 12-07-2017 at 02:24 AM.

duplicate
    Last edited by Volta; 12-11-2017 at 01:23 PM.

GOLDEN GLOBES

Picture Drama

Call Me By Your Name
    Dunkirk
    The Post
    Shape of Water
    Three Billboards

Picture Comedy

The Disaster Artist
    Get Out
    Greatest Showman
    Lady Bird
    I, Tonya

Director
    Guillermo del Toro - Shape of Water
    Martin McDonagh - Three Billboards
    Christopher Nolan - Dunkirk
    Ridley Scott - All The Money..
    Steven Spielberg - The Post

Actress Drama
    Jessica Chastain - Molly's Game
    Sally Hawkins - Shape of Water
    Frances Mcdormand - Three Billboards
    Meryl Streep - The Post
    Michelle Williams - All The Money in the World (WHAT? WTF?- Shocker)

Actress Comedy

Judi Dench - Victoria and Abdul
    Helen Mirren - Leisure (WTF? Where did that come from?)
    Margot Robbie - I, Tonya
    Saorise Ronan - Lady Bird
    Emma Stone - Battle of the Sexes

Actor Drama

Timothee Chalamet - Call Me By Your Name
    Daniel Day-Lewis - Phantom Thread
    Tom Hanks - The Post
    Gary Oldman - Darkest Hour
    Denzel Washington - Israel, esq

Actor Comedy

Steve Carell - Battle of the Sexes
    Ansel Elgort - Baby Driver
    James Franco - Disaster Artist
    Hugh Jackman - Greatest Showman
    Daniel Kalyuua - Get Out

Supporting Actress

Mary J. Blige - Mudbound
    Hong Chau - Downsizing
    Allison Janney - I, Tonya
    Laurie Metcalfe - Lady Bird
    Octavia Spencer - Shape of Water

Supporting Actor

William Dafoe - The Florida Project
    Armie Hammer - Call Me By Your Name
    Richard Jenkins - The Shape of Water
    Christopher Plummer - All the Money in the World
    Sam Rockwell - Three Billboards

Some thoughts as I type all this as it is coming in:
    Big Sick doesn't get in for comedy?
    Very disappointed Greta Gerwig didn't get into directing category.
    Dunkirk didn't get any acting. Surprised Rylance wasn't nominated.
    ALL THE MONEY IN THE WORLD was barely completed since they had to re-shoot Spacey's part with Christopher Plummer and it got a load of nominations.
    Denzel Washington for best actor drama? The film was poorly made and poorly reviewed wow. Same for Helen Mirren..
    Sufjan did not get a nomination for any of his songs in Call Me....

I'm not altogether too worried about the Globes.. although they did confirm a lot of nominations that have been pretty much a lock. We wait for the SAGS as it's a better indicator. Sorry for misspellings of names, etc.

Very disappointed Greta Gerwig didn't get into directing category.
    You aren't alone. Amber Tamblyn, who I follow on Twitter, is on the warpath. We'll see more of that. Gerwig is on the top tier this year, and my guess is the Academy finds a slot for her.

I'm not at all surprised that Michelle Williams got a nod. People are loving her performance, and indeed she is a fucking great actress. All the love for AtMitW is remarkable. That's the Globes people saying that they love the fact that the film was de-Spaceyed, and by extension they support #MeToo. I would be not at all surprised to see Plummer get into the Oscar field for the same reason. And I'm down with that. You know, if the Oscars had any guts, they'd put Rose McGowan in their show.

More later.

Barack Hussein Obama

There were a number of surprises, but the Globes are always a bit unpredictable. Gerwig's absence is a surprise, but I think she's in for an Oscar nod. In fact, I think the snub actually improves her chances, because now her supporters are going to be much more likely to vote for her and rank their vote for her high.

The Denzel nod means nothing--the Globes love him. It's a competitive year in the Best Actor and Best Actress categories--I don't see him getting nominated for an Oscar. And I have not even heard of that film Helen Mirren was nominated for! I would have thought Annette Bening would maybe be nominated in the Comedy category for Film Stars Don't Die in Liverpool, which she is supposed to be excellent in.

A bit surprised by the lack of nods for The Big Sick--it looks like The Greatest Showman is taking it's place. TGS is a VERY Globes kind of movie--it looks horrible, but it's glossy and has big stars. It reminds me that the Globes gave all sorts of nominations to The Tourist with Johnny Depp and Angelina Jolie. I think Holly Hunter was considered somewhat a lock in the Supporting Actress category for The Big Sick, so her omission is surprising (but not necessarily unwarranted--I love her, but I thought she was just kind of OK in the role).

Michael Stuhlbarg not being nominated is disappointing. He was incredible.

And I'm rooting for Alison Brie to win for Glow! She was fantastic and is such a great talent.

Elated that Three Billboards got 6 nods in all the main categories! Now I need to see all the other nominated films. Also really happy about the Mary J. Bilge nomination. [tangent]Not looking forward to Seth Meyers hosting, never been a fan.[/tangent]
    Last edited by dAmION; 12-11-2017 at 09:40 PM.

Oh, I think he'll be great. He can be edgy, so expect some jokes about you-know-what.

Barack Hussein Obama