Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Road to the 2018 Academy Awards

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    Just found out that screenings for All the Money and Leisure Seeker were specially screened for the HFP so much so that AtMitW gave the HFP a date they'd see the movie first while they only had two weeks over Thanksgiving weekend to complete it for the screening.
    The HFP reward that kind of thing. If you cater to them and only them I think youre pretty much going to get rewarded.

BTW, I didn't post any of the TV nominations for Critics or GG's.. but feel free anyone to post those! I would love to have conversations about those. I'm a little more strapped for time this year than last. I haven't seen a single film nominated in the best categories.. whereas this time last year I think I'd already seen 8 of the 10.
    And Steve SFM, your email box is full on here. I tried to send you a message and you have no room in your inbox!!
    "Washing Machiiiiiine" - Kate Bush

That's probably because I'm not premium at the moment. I'm temporarily homebound and cannot get to the bank. I'll let you know when I can!
    At my core, I think we're gonna be OK.

Barack Hussein Obama

^haha. No biggie.

Can someone please post tomorrow morning's SAG Nominations???

Link to SAG NOMS
    Pretty much everything is as it has been except Streep is out and Judi Dench looks like she took her place.
    Woody Harrelson got a nom in supporting likely taking Armie Hammer's spot.
    and the Big Sick put itself back into the Best Picture race, I think, with these nominations.

They didn't nominate the woman who liked my tweet last night, so FUCK THEM.

I hope that doesn't mean her chances of an Oscar nod are tanking. But her movie isn't even opening until Christmas Day, so maybe their strategy is to hit right when the Oscar nods are percolating. We'll see.

The one I love here is Woody Harrellson. I mean, Rockwell is great in Three Billboards, but I think Woody was even better -- better than I've ever seen him, and that covers some ground. As great as the Lady Bird ensemble is, I think that one has to go to Three Billboards.

Barack Hussein Obama

So I have seen all the movies nominated by SAG for Best Cast and I'll rank them on how I liked them (if you've seen them all please do the same)
    1.) Get Out - with the competition, it's easy to rank this in the #1 slot. Now, every movie from here on out I don't agree with their nomination. But I am ranking, so..
    2.) Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri - I really didn't even like this movie much.
    3.) The Big Sick - I only slightly like this more than the rest to come.
    4.) Lady Bird
    5.) Mudbound - Does someone have an agenda to get Netflix in the running for a Best Picture nomination? Awful movie.

I would have to think Darkest Hour, The Shape of Water, The Post, and Call Me By Your Name are much more worthy. owell. I haven't seen any of those, so. Maybe not.

*coughTheFloridaProjectcough*

Barack Hussein Obama

^Oh, you know that hurt my soul. But I is so happy for William Dafoe.
    But it did feel like they done knifed a bitch when they left that movie out. They didn't treat Little Miss Sunshine that way.. and they oughten-a-not treated Florida Project that way. I am coming for them. I see the SAGS one night in a dark alley.. "There Will Be Blood." - Paul Dano starred in that one, too.

But seriously. I can't believe these SAG nominations.

Now, technically, I haven't seen The Florida Project. But every week they're posting new clips all over the internet and I have pieced enough of those together to feel nothing but love for them. Plus having experienced Tangerine in the presence of director and crew.. memories I wish to never give up. I cannot wait to finally watch this movie even if I have to wait til May to get it on DVD or On-Demand, baby, you know I cannot wait to watch this movie!~

I have a lot of love for the Critics Choice, right now. And I do pray that BAFTA gets it right. Besides the BIG O.. we're just waiting on those BAFTAs! Oh, I hope they get it right.
    Last edited by Volta; 12-21-2017 at 02:08 AM.

I still need to see The Post, The Shape of Water, and Darkest Hour. These are probably, along with Three Billboards, the top 4 likely Best Picture films to give a winner. I also need to see The Florida Project although it is losing momentum with critics and may not even get into the Best Picture race. Greatest Showman seems to be really pushing hard for one of those final spots. And I, Tonya I think should be in that group although I have enough information about the film and how it's been received to highly doubt it does.

I'm not sure I want to see The Post or Darkest Hour in a theater. Hopefully they'll be up for digital purchase before March. I may see them before, it's just that they're really serious films and I don't really have any kind of inclination to pay $16 to sit through those considering how much Lady Bird and Three Billboards disappointed me at first. I do want to see The Shape of Water soon!
    My goal, as always, is to see all the Best Picture nominated films before the show. May not be able to do that this year.

I've warmed up to Lady Bird (In Fact, with my SAG rankings I'm ready to flip flop LB and TBOEM) but I certainly am not going back on Three Billboards. I don't understand what other's seem to as far as why this movie is cleaning up and nominated everywhere. Oh well.

My SAG rankings are now:
    1.) Get Out
    2.) Lady Bird
    3.) The Big Sick
    4.) Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
    5.) Mudbound

Overall, this year isn't as strong in film as the last two. And I am still not over Amy Adams getting snubbed for Arrival. lol
    Last edited by Volta; 12-31-2017 at 10:57 AM.

I wanted to kind of have a conversation about Lady Bird. My disconnect is lessening. I think it will be a pleasant film to watch with family once it is out on DVD and cable.

There were a few things that threw me like.. I have no connection to Sacramento, Laurie Metcalf's character came off wrong, and I thought it wasn't that great a coming of age film. But now, I see it kind of like Juno. Juno wasn't my favorite coming of age movie, either, at the time. But it had an audience and it was a special movie that had that "re-watchability," factor over time.

I no longer see Laurie Metcalf's character as this mean figure that wasn't really fleshed out. She is actually really loving in her own sort of way.
    I also can appreciate Lady Birds predicaments and really found her college application process endearing as well as being able to relate to being in high school during and after 9/11. In the end, I think that more than anything helped me to a path of connection with the film.

I know nothing about Sacramento. But when I saw this for a second time I let the movie inform me about why it's so special to people who have been there.. rather than just not trying to understand.

I think Ronan will win the Globe.
    Laurie might win it, too.
    I don't see Greta getting in for directing at the Oscars but she will get a writing nomination in Original Screenplay and probably will win.
    Other than that..
    Last edited by Volta; 12-31-2017 at 11:09 AM.

It took all of 2017, but I finally saw a performance that I'd actually be okay with winning the Best Supporting Actor Oscar that is not Sir Patrick Stewart for his portrayal of Charles Xavier in Logan. And that performance is Richard Jenkins in The Shape of Water. Sallie Hawkins should also be a lock for a nom as Best Actress. There, that's my two cents.

Jenkins is superb.

Barack Hussein Obama

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    One of my favorite things about the Golden Globes is that at least I've seen the tv shows enough to make judgments on who should win. I'm not prepared for the movies tonight. I've seen like... kids movies and Star Wars this year. But this is your reminder the GG start in about 90 minutes, and I'm all in even if I'm clueless.

Al Roker: This is a very exciting movie and a very exciting night.
    Sam Rockwell: I'm very, very excited.
    Al Roker: When you do a movie like this it has to be really satisfying.
    Sam Rockwell: It's really satisfying.

AHHHH. I love red carpet interviews!

Tonight's theme: Time's Up. "Don't just ask me about the dress."
    I didn't know Hollywood was getting together to wear black in solidarity. I also just found out that 8-9 A-list actresses have as their dates very well-respected activists.. Emma Stone and Billie Jean King for example.
    I'm already excited about tonights broadcast!!!

EDIT: The third interview was with Willam Dafoe about Florida Project. I want to see this movie like yesterday!!! ahhhhhhh