Thread: Top 10 Kate Winslet

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar

Top 10 Kate Winslet

Similar to the Top 10 Nicole Kidman thread.
    What are you top 10 favorite performances from Kate Winslet?

1.) Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - is my absolute favorite performance by Kate. In this spoiler there are two scenes particularly that get me every time I watch the movie

2. Little Children - I think the book club scene is one of the most iconic scenes in my Kate Winslet vocabulary of scenes I have it under the next spoiler

3. Revolutionary Road - I think this film is almost entirely carried by Kate. If you look back to watch the original trailer for the film.. every scene you see in it, she commands. A total tour de force performance.

4. Jude - A film that truly disturbs me but the scene at the river when they've just met and she's running and everything that she thinks her life will be.. she is so happy, so super overly happy/vibrant about what she thinks the future holds for her. And then at the end ... you're crying your eyes out to see what her reality actually is.
    5. Titantic - DUH
    6. The Reader - She did win an Oscar and it is a stunning performance. Funny that Ricky Gervais said she'd win an Oscar when she did a proper WWII film.
    7. Holy Smoke - I think we all know what the most shocking scene is in this film and the fact she could go there with it. I've never seen anything like it.
    8. Sense and Sensibility - It's just a wonderful performance and a happy one, too.
    9. Finding Neverland
    10. Steve Jobs - She got the accent so perfectly right. Three acts to the film and she's vital to each one.

Heavenly Creatures is a movie I never watch anymore. But if It ever came on cable again, I probably would. I know it's what put her on the map and many think it's her best performance.. so honorable mentions here.

Yours?
    Last edited by Volta; Yesterday at 03:48 PM.
    "Washing Machiiiiiine" - Kate Bush

Keep making these, I made a Meryl Streep thread that no-one read a while back. It's a nice idea.

01. The Reader
    02. Little Children
    03. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
    04. Holy Smoke
    05. Titanic
    06. Finding Neverland
    07. Steve Jobs
    08. Mildred Pierce
    09. Heavenly Creatures
    10. Triple 9

AHHHHHH so many good performances! But...

1. Eternal Sunshine
    2. Sense and Sensibility
    3. Jude
    4. Heavenly Creatures
    5. Titanic (she makes the whole film)
    6. Revolutionary Road (underrated!)
    7. Holy Smoke
    8. Little Children
    9. Finding Neverland
    10. The Reader

Quote Originally Posted by BrotherNamedErised View Post
    Keep making these, I made a Meryl Streep thread that no-one read a while back. It's a nice idea.

01. The Reader
    02. Little Children
    03. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
    04. Holy Smoke
    05. Titanic
    06. Finding Neverland
    07. Steve Jobs
    08. Mildred Pierce
    09. Heavenly Creatures
    10. Triple 9
    I'll look for your Meryl thread. I can't believe I didn't comment on it.

Mildred Pierce and Triple 9 - I tried to watch Triple 9 but after the scene where she throws the ziplock bag full of
    in the trunk with them.. and I was eating penne with a red sauce. I turned it off and never came back to it. lol

Mildred Pierce! I am glad it's on your list. I forget just how amazing that series was!

I am not thinking this year she'll get many nominations from her film Wonder Wheel. But she very well might. She's saying it's her best performance.. but I think every actor says that with each new project.

Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    AHHHHHH so many good performances! But...

1. Eternal Sunshine
    2. Sense and Sensibility
    3. Jude
    4. Heavenly Creatures
    5. Titanic (she makes the whole film)
    6. Revolutionary Road (underrated!)
    7. Holy Smoke
    8. Little Children
    9. Finding Neverland
    10. The Reader
    We have our rankings very similar. When Kate won the Golden Globe for The Reader everyone expected it. But when she also won for Revolutionary Road in Best Actress Drama - I thought .. she is going to win a best actress and best supporting in the same year at the Oscars. But then she didn't win anything else for RR that season. In fact, I think Meryl beat her at the SAGs for her performance in DOUBT.

I kind of thought Kate would get her way, though, and be put in both categories. Although The Reader was a lead performance.. it's not unprecedented to put lead performances in the supporting category. I think back at The Constant Gardner and Rachel Weisz. That was a huge part.. nearly the entire movie. Both The Reader and Constant Gardner co-starred Ralph Fiennes oddly enough.