Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OMA's Best Albums of 2017

OMA's Best Albums of 2017

IT. IS. TIME!

We're nearing the end of the year, which means it's time to start compiling and finalizing your favorite albums of 2017. It's been a rough year for many reasons, but music makes it better.

Can't wait to read everybody's lists!

Only knows desire. Perky Compson's Avatar
    I'M NOT READY FOR LISTMAS YET

I still have to write up like forty summaries!

Susanne Sundfor - Music for People in Trouble is my definite #1
    Не може со обични зборови да ја домами необичноста, зашто и необичните си имаат секој свој пат и тешко се среќаваат.

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    There are just a few more albums I'm waiting to come out and then I'll have a go at it
    Miss Vanjieeee. Miss Vanjiee. ..Miss Van..

Ooh, I love these threads!! Yes, it was an amazing year for music with some releases that lived up to the hype or even surpassed them. Not sure what the list will be, but it will certainly feature Lana, St Vincent, Muna, Tori, Lorde and Beth Ditto. Lotsa women!
    post28!

Only knows desire. Perky Compson's Avatar
    This year was fucking incredible. Such an improvement over a kind of middling 2016, imo.

I didn't actually listen to many new albums this year. Laura Marling, Lorde, and Tori kept me pretty busy. I probably missed a bunch of good stuff....
    All I want to be is the very best machine I can be.

I never did 2016 I definitely want to remember to make a list this year.

I think it'll be Kendrick Lamar for me again this year, because I just can't stop returning to DAMN. Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith's in with a shot, though, The Kid is sitting on my brain a lot.

Top for me would be Tori's Native Invader and Lana's Lust for Life (god I love that album!). Close contenders would be John Mayer's The Search For Everything (liked it a lot, but didn't LOVE it), HAIM's Something To Tell You, Pink's Beautiful Trauma and Kesha's Rainbow.

I'm pretty sure he said "Killdren". Stone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yo Jupiter View Post
    Susanne Sundfor - Music for People in Trouble is my definite #1
    Same for me. It's such a gorgeous, lush album. I hadn't connected with an album like this since the late 90s.

No contest for me:

it wouldn't even matter other pete's Avatar
    Music For People In Trouble by Susanne Sundfør is simply incredible. The tracks are a mixture of standalone songs and longer, interconnected pieces with their own mini-movements and stories. It swoops about in the darkness, with occasional glimpses of light overhead, then erupts in its final 2 minutes of utter euphoria.

I am so happy for all the love Susanne Sundfør gets on here. This comes from someone who’s been a fan since the Brothel :-)

I guess my AOTY is going to be Feist‘s Pleasure. This album and me have gone through a journey from total deception after the first few listens to absolute adoration after a moment of revelation. There was a moment where it just clicked and the album revealed its beauty and gorgeousness to me. This paired with an absolute flawless concert in Berlin made it my #1 I guess.

album of the year: xenoula - xenoula

take a trippy journey through space on a sonic rocket with your interstellar guide, a silver-skinned humanoid named xenoula. her self-titled debut is an inspired voyage through the wonders and dangers of earth's many beautiful contradictions as told from the pov of a neutral creature.

this album is a paradox of experimental pop splendor. painstaking attention to detail has been taken to every note and at the same time it all sounds effortless. a seriously sick bassline shines in the chill sun-drenched neo-disco of "caramello" and the twisted melody of "luna man" sees the best use of hand clap percussion this jaded listener has heard in a while.

wonderfully restrained in its weirdness, xenoula's otherworldly vision is her concept. the dark electronica swells of album opener "chief of tin" sounds very much like an alien awakening in the murky depths of muddy earth and the last minute of transcendent closing track "tororoi" consists of sci-fi electro flourishes akin to a spacecraft blasting off into the starry abyss. love it or leave it, this could hardly be mistaken for just another pop record by just another pop artist. xenoula has landed.

best tracks: caramello, luna man, leyline ogres

...and the rest of the best:

tori amos - native invader
    pleasure plateau - memory foam
    drab majesty - the demonstration
    you'll never get to heaven - images
    sports coach - wallace & flora
    white poppy - the pink haze of love
    timber timbre - sincerely, future pollution
    coals - tamagotchi
    tops - sugar at the gate
    Last edited by stoneforest; 02-04-2018 at 04:27 AM.