53. Alvvays - Antisocialites
    54. Aimee Mann - Mental Illness
    55. Gorillaz - Humanz
    56. Mew - Visuals
    57. Feist - Pleasure
    58. Seal - Standards
    59. Julien Baker - Turn Out The Lights
    60. Blondie - Pollinator

Low key list for my favorite albums of 2017. So many great releases, but these stood out most and soundtracked my favorite moments of the year.

01. Julien Baker - Turn Out The Lights
    Following up a devastating, stark debut set like 2015’s Sprained Ankle with something more stark and devastating is a feat in itself. Still, Julien Baker’s sophomore effort is not only better than her debut, but also one of the most vivid, relatable records about depression ever recorded. Turn Out The Lights forces wry smiles as the only defense from breaking down completely.
    https://open.spotify.com/album/3uIsEwFYYV4rwRssSEJ8Lb

02. St. Vincent - MASSEDUCTION
    Rather than go right, Annie Clark turned everything upside down for her fifth album as St. Vincent. MASSEDUCTION parades heartache with concentrated absurdity and transparency. The pop gloss is an undeniable, distracting delivery vehicle for some of the darkest lyrics of Clark’s career.
    https://open.spotify.com/album/4RoOGpdrgfiIUyv0kLaC4e

03. Paramore - After Laughter
    The exhausting political climate yields good and bad days. After Laughter, Paramore’s foray into synth pop, is less of a departure than some will call it. Beneath the bubbly melodies and sparkling guitars, Hayley Williams’ lyrics drip with cynicism while inspiring hope that at least the next hour will be bearable.
    https://open.spotify.com/album/1c9Sx7XdXuMptGyfCB6hHs

04. Aimee Mann - Mental Illness
    Aimee Mann’s goal for her eighth studio album was to make the album people think of when they think of Aimee Mann - depressing, sad, morose. While the jokingly titled Mental Illness is firmly all of those, it’s also Aimee’s best album in over a decade. Delicately crafted, expert songwriting from one of the best.
    https://open.spotify.com/album/0rwd3CfF5cJS46VB7kgBpG

05. Charli XCX - Number 1 Angel / Pop 2
    In 2017, Charli XCX broke every rule, blended the pieces, applied 3 coats of glaze, and created the year’s most progressive pop music. Remarkably consistent, Charli is the only artist making the challenging, sometimes grotesque elements of PC Music into something addicting and accessible.
    https://open.spotify.com/album/37rI2gAtakAmSFtbIE9THq // https://open.spotify.com/album/2HIwUmdxEl7SeWa1ndH5wC

06. Tori Amos - Native Invader
    Artists like Tori Amos are wise voices in tumultuous times. Tori’s musical response to 9/11 was a sprawling album featuring poetic assessments of the USA’s socio-political climate. Similarly, Native Invader is an artist surveying the current landscape and offering advice: out-create the havoc, look both inward and to the past for future solutions.
    https://open.spotify.com/album/79ZYYTpqesBlTe4hrWiO8b

07. Lorde - Melodrama
    Has anybody captured the miniature disasters and celebrations of growing up with such vibrant honesty? Melodrama covers the characters and catharsis of a house party we’ve all been to. These songs cover the terrifying and thrilling moments of figuring out who you are both with someone else, and on your own.
    https://open.spotify.com/album/4oCGmYsAQOWt2ACWTpNUU6

08. Nelly Furtado - The Ride
    Throughout her dynamic, genre-shifting career, Nelly Furtado’s melodic sensibilities anchored her multicultural approach to pop. On her first album of original songs since 2012, Nelly has never sounded more at home than on the year’s most underrated album.
    https://open.spotify.com/album/6IApey8JeGjUbd98yjSRPh

09. Kelela - Take Me Apart
    Dark, claustrophobic beats contrast against Kelela’s assured, malleable voice, creating a world completely her own. Repeated listens reveal classic R&B melodies, hidden sounds, and establishes an incredible talent.
    https://open.spotify.com/album/6pw1XPub1bSMq03ASVqRVu

10. MUNA - About U
    Anthemic queer pop is the medicine we need in 2017. MUNA embraces high school diary angst for their dark, handcrafted brand of pop.
    https://open.spotify.com/album/0mfj2MrZptbPw7K5Wo4ikY

My top Albums of 2017!!:

1. Bjork - Utopia - Bjork returns from her harrowing journey of emotional distress to deliver one of the greatest albums of the year and one of the top triumphs of her discography. With the use of flutes and spacey atmospherics she creates her own world, a shelter/sanctuary away from the humdrum elements of modern relationships. Must listen to tracks: “Arisen My Senses”, “Utopia”, “Body Memory”, “Courtship”.

2. Goldfrapp - Silver Eye - Goldfrapp (Alison Goldfrapp and Will Gregory) are a triple threat! They have always excelled at writing, producing, and performing. Master craftsmen, they always produce work that totally immerses you in a world and more importantly, an unforgettable feeling. Their 7th album sees them working with synthesizers in a way they haven’t quite before. They imbue these songs with a sense of space and atmosphere that conjures the feelings of freedom, space, and endlessness. Must listen to tracks: “Systemagic”, “Zodiac Black”, “Everything is Never Enough”, “Moon in Your Mouth”.

3. Alison Moyet - Other - This is Alison Moyet’s second outing with producer, song-writer Guy Sigsworth. They come together to splice modern synth textures along with personal, sometimes cutting, lyrics, courtesy of Moyet. Its a sometimes jarring work but there’s a certain smoothness to Sigsworth’s production work that smooths over the somewhat discordant emotions of Moyet’s words. Must listen to tracks: “I Germinate”, “The English U”, “Reassuring Pinches”, “April 10th”.

4. SZA - Ctrl - This is the debut album of singer-songwriter Solana Imani Rowe, known professionally as “SZA”. She is known for being part of Kendrick Lamar’s hip-hop collective, Top Dawg Entertainment but this year she struck out on her own. Her debut album brings to mind the innovative Hip-Hop and R&B of artists such as Joi, Aaliyah, and Missy Elliot. With the cadence and leaping intervals of a jazz singer, she navigates her way through reckless relationships in an attempt to define herself. Must listen to tracks: “Supermodel”, “Prom”, “Anything”, “Normal Girl”.

5. Zola Jesus - Okovi - Zola Jesus, birthname Nika Roza Danilova, released this, her 5th album, as a way of coping with her realization that, “At one point it occurred to me that your worth is earned from your ability to endure.” She infuses this record with catharsis and an expressive release through vocal and performance. Its a sound that at one point reminds of PJ Harvey if she had wanted to uplift rather than declaim. Must listen to tracks: “Doma”, “Witness”, “Siphon”, “Wiseblood”.

Honorable Mention: Tori Amos - Native Invader
    Last edited by dAmION; 01-02-2018 at 04:28 AM.

Only knows desire. Perky Compson's Avatar
    Aaaa I'm like 70% done with my list. Charli XCX came in like a wrecking ball towards the end of the year when I thought I had it settled, plus I'm grabbing recommendations from everyone else's list. I'm so slow hahah.

I used to love doing these, really laboured over my list and reviews, but I just find it overwhelming now. I used to just order them alphabetically because a ranked list was too difficult, but even that is a huge ask! And I always get weirdly anxious about making a list when there's stuff out that I've not yet heard, but what if it's amazing and better than some of the choices I've already made?

So yeah. 2017 was a really good year for new music. I liked a lot of stuff. DAMN was probably my favourite album; it's survived countless listens since April and still calls me back to it. Masseduction only clicked with me over Xmas, but I'm really loving it now.

Colin Stetson made the saxophone heavy as fuck with his new band Ex Eye, Stormzy and Kojey Radical released wildly different records exploring the realities for young black men in Britain, and Nabihah Iqbal flipped expectations following her EPs as Throwing Shade and released a gorgeous guitar-pop record that sounds not unlike The Cure.

And because I love electronic beeps, boops and clangs, Karen Gwyer's new album Rembo went down a treat, and so did Colón Man by Equiknoxx, a gnarly techno mutation of Jamaican dancehall.

Also a fuckload of wonderful stuff on Bandcamp. I flippin' love Bandcamp.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete! View Post
    I used to love doing these, really laboured over my list and reviews, but I just find it overwhelming now. I used to just order them alphabetically because a ranked list was too difficult, but even that is a huge ask! And I always get weirdly anxious about making a list when there's stuff out that I've not yet heard, but what if it's amazing and better than some of the choices I've already made?
    Right? I mean, we didn't just write a sentence, man, we wrote paragraphs. I'd have to start around my birthday to get it done by the end of the year now.

But I still make a list. Always.

Hey you, had no idea you were even still about. Some nice choices on there - reminds me, I must give the new Forest Swords a proper crack, I listened to a couple of tracks and kinda felt I'd heard it all before on his previous releases.

imagine a future and be in it emanate's Avatar
    I also can't labor over write ups like I used to, so here's an alphabetical list of stuff I listened to a lot and thoroughly enjoyed. Perfume Genius would sit at #1 if I were a ranking type.

alt-J - Relaxer
    Alvvays - Antisocialites
    Tori Amos – Native Invader
    Julien Baker - Turn Out the Lights
    Balmorhea - Clear Language
    Björk – Utopia
    Phoebe Bridgers – Stranger in the Alps
    Echo Ladies – Echo Ladies EP
    Fever Ray – Plunge
    Goldfrapp – Silver Eye
    Rebekka Karijord – Mother Tongue
    Lorde – Melodrama
    Perfume Genius - No Shape
    Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith - The Kid
    Sleigh Bells – Kid Kruschev
    Slowdive - Slowdive
    Trementina – 810
    Waxahatchee – Out in the Storm
    Chelsea Wolfe - Hiss Spun
    Zola Jesus – Okovi

Quote Originally Posted by Pete! View Post
    Hey you, had no idea you were even still about. Some nice choices on there - reminds me, I must give the new Forest Swords a proper crack, I listened to a couple of tracks and kinda felt I'd heard it all before on his previous releases.
    I live. Sorta.

Yeah, the Forest Swords is hardly innovative, but it's quite pleasant to listen to.

Quote Originally Posted by emanate View Post
    Balmorhea - Clear Language
    You know, I need to track this down and give it a shot. I hated Stranger so freaking much that I never even tried it out.

imagine a future and be in it emanate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian
    You know, I need to track this down and give it a shot. I hated Stranger so freaking much that I never even tried it out.
    I barely remember anything about Stranger, other than it was the one with the weird doughnut looking cover. The new one was lovely to listen to while I was writing and doing other tasks that needed concentration, though. I appreciate that in an instrumental album.

My AOTY 2017 is Rennen by SOHN:

I finally finished my Top 40 Albums of the Year list! You can check out some samples at Spotify here.

Jidenna's performance was one of the highlights of the Luke Cage series, and then I kinda forgot about him. Thanks for reminding me, I'm gonna spin that up later.

Perky--Wow! Thanks for all of the work that you put into that. I am going to have to give it a closer read when I have more time, But I always look forward to your lists.

Thank you, SleeptheClock! I find "listmas" my very favorite part of year.