Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: OMA's Best Albums of 2017

imagine a future and be in it emanate's Avatar
    ^ I'll have to check that out, stoneforest! What an interesting review. I love AOTY time. There are always so many albums that didn't make it onto my radar.

I'll post later in December. On the whole, I think I've listened to fewer releases than in previous years, but I've found a lot of stuff I've really enjoyed and will be listening to for years to come.

# 2017 albums top 10 - ranked

01. Perfume Genius : No Shape
    listen to: Slip Away • Wreath • Just Like Love ...

02. Lorde : Melodrama
    listen to: Supercut • The Louvre • Perfect Places ...

03. Kelela : Take Me Apart
    listen to: Better • Waitin‘ • Altadena

04. Nolwenn Leroy : Gemme
    listen to: Gemme • L‘Ankou • Trace Ton Chemin

05. Falsettos (2016 Broadway Cast Recording)
    listen to: I Never Wanted To Love You • I‘m Breaking Down • Unlikely Lovers

06. Kelly Clarkson : Meaning Of Life
    listen to: Would You Call That Love • Go High • Move You

07. Pierre Lapointe : La Science Du Coeur
    listen to: Un Coeur • Sais-Tu Vraiment Qui Tu Es • Mon Prince Charmant

08. Charlotte Gainsbourg : Rest
    listen to: Kate • Sylvia Says • Dans Vos Airs

09. SZA : Ctrl
    listen to: Drew Barrymore • Pretty Little Birds • Prom

10. Baths : Romaplasm
    listen to: Extrasolar • Wilt • Abscond

# 2017 albums top 50 - alphabetical

1. Bjork, Utopia
    2. Tori Amos, Native Invaders
    3. Beth Ditto, Fake Sugar
    4. Wolf Alice, Visions of a Life
    5. Jessica Lea Mayfield, Sorry is Gone
    6. Julien Baker, Turn Out the Lights
    7. EMA, Exile in the Outer Ring
    8. Zola Jesus, Okovi
    9. Bully, Losing
    10. Alex Lahey, I Love You like a Brother

Honorable mention: Aldous Harding, Party; Torres, Three Futures; Kelly Clarkson, Meaning of Life

Tori Amos, Native Invader

Must listen: Wildwood, Reindeer King, Bats, Benjamin

Goldfrapp, Silver Eye

Must listen: Anymore, Faux Suede Drifter, Ocean, Tigerman

Kesha, Rainbow

Must listen: Woman, Bastards, SPACESHIP

Lana Del Rey, Lust for Life

Must listen: In My Feelings, Cherry, 13 Beaches

Lorde, Melodrama

Must listen: Homemade Dynamite, Hard Feelings/Loveless
    Last edited by Nora; 11-30-2017 at 12:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by stoneforest View Post

album of the year: xenoula - xenoula

take a trippy journey through space on a sonic rocket with your interstellar guide, a silver-skinned humanoid named xenoula. her self-titled debut is an inspired voyage through the wonders and dangers of earth's many beautiful contradictions as told from the pov of a neutral creature.

this album is a paradox of experimental pop splendor. painstaking attention to detail has been taken to every note and at the same time it all sounds effortless. a seriously sick bassline shines in the chill sun-drenched neo disco of "caramello" and the twisted melody of "luna man" sees the best use of hand clap percussion this jaded listener has heard in a while.

wonderfully restrained in its weirdness, xenoula's otherworldly vision is her concept. the dark electronica swells of album opener "chief of tin" sounds very much like an alien awakening in the murky depths of muddy earth and the last minute of transcendent closing track "tororoi" consists of sci-fi electro flourishes akin to a spacecraft blasting off into the starry abyss. love it or leave it, this could hardly be mistaken for just another pop record by just another pop artist. xenoula has landed.

best tracks: caramello, luna man, leyline ogres
    [/I]
    Just listened to this and it's REALLY good !

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Just listened to this and it's REALLY good !
    *thumbs up*

Feist, Pleasure

need to have a think on the rest but that’s def. my top dog. sad to see it not mentioned more, to me it’s a perfect collection of songs. when listened in order and in full it’s such a vivid and gorgeous journey.

edit:
    i completely overlooked spacedoggys post! COMPLETLY agree, and yes, seeing this last tour i think may also be pivotal. hearing the album live with the full band was powerful. also top show of the year - so good i went twice!
    Last edited by scottslean; 11-30-2017 at 08:33 AM. Reason: oops!

^

^

Feist's Pleasure is going to be very high on my end-of-the-year list. To me, she's made four gorgeous and distinct solo albums in a row, which I think is quite a feat. My sense was that despite the good reviews people didn't seem to like this one that much? I'm glad there are some fans on here.

I saw her at Town Hall in NYC this year and thought it was a very good show. Not as magical as the show I saw her do at BAM to promote Metals, but very good nonetheless. I think I would have liked it more if the new album had settled in with me more substantially by the time I saw her. What stood out for me was the closing number--a melancholy and reflective version of "1234" sung ten years after its initial success, with ten years of wisdom and experience behind her. It might be my favorite moment from a concert all year.

Quote Originally Posted by sleeptheclock View Post
    ^

Feist's Pleasure is going to be very high on my end-of-the-year list. To me, she's made four gorgeous and distinct solo albums in a row, which I think is quite a feat. My sense was that despite the good reviews people didn't seem to like this one that much? I'm glad there are some fans on here.

I saw her at Town Hall in NYC this year and thought it was a very good show. Not as magical as the show I saw her do at BAM to promote Metals, but very good nonetheless. I think I would have liked it more if the new album had settled in with me more substantially by the time I saw her. What stood out for me was the closing number--a melancholy and reflective version of "1234" sung ten years after its initial success, with ten years of wisdom and experience behind her. It might be my favorite moment from a concert all year.
    funny you say that - as i wrote my post above i was thinking about that version of 1234 and how badly id love a decent recording of it - it’s gotta be out there. will keep you posted if i find it!

1- Ásgeir, "Afterglow"
    2- Gang Of Youths, "Go Farther in Lightness"

3- Taylor Swift, "Reputation"
    4- Sondre Lerche, "Pleasure"
    5- Emily Haines And The Soft Skeleton, "Choir Of The Mind"
    6- Superfood, "Bambino"
    7- Nelly Furtado, "The ride"
    8- Tori Amos, "Native Invader"
    9- Moses Hightower, "Fjallaloft"
    10- Aimee Mann, "Mental Illness"

"Afterglow" is a glorious album; it's curious how it became one of my favorite albums ever. It's fragile and delicate and happy and melancholic and optimistic, everything at the same time. Gang Of Youths is an Australian band I knew thanks to Vinyl Me Please (who released Fiona Apple's "Tidal" on vinyl). This album can make me cry so hard. These two were the best of 2017 IMO.
    When he woke up, the dinosaur was still there.

Only knows desire. Perky Compson's Avatar
    My favorite thing about Listmas is discovering all the awesome new albums other people rank.

I'll have some new ones for you! This has been a weird year for for me, because I've only had my iPhone for most of the way and the only way to add music to it is iTunes. So my collecting has been sporadic, and I missed some I would normally get. But I've checked and I'll have a solid Top Ten!
    At my core, I think we're gonna be OK.

Barack Hussein Obama

Only knows desire. Perky Compson's Avatar
    Literally any of my top 10 would be a worthy AOTY. This year has been lush. Excited to see what you put up, Steve!

Also this Xenoula is good af.

Quote Originally Posted by Perky Compson View Post
    Also this Xenoula is good af.
    *thumbs up*