Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OMA's Worst Albums of 2017: The Beekeeper Award

OMA's Worst Albums of 2017: The Beekeeper Award

(The Beekeeper has aged better than I thought but this is tradition, so).

Vent about the albums that let you down this year.

(Waits for someone to mention bjork)

I’d probably say Jesca Hoop. Her album wasn’t bad by any means but it didn’t really grab save like 2 songs and her previous albums i love. I haven’t been too disappointed, though. I’ve been pretty pleased. I’m looking forward to Utopia and maybe it really will be as bad as some people are preemptively claiming.

I was pretty bummed with Arcade Fire’s Everything Now. I liked a couple tracks when it first came out but none of them have had staying power with me. It’s definitely the least inspired album they’ve put out, in my opinion.

Only knows desire. Perky Compson's Avatar
    I feel like anyone who puts down an answer besides "that fucking Amanda Palmer album" is either lying or blessed enough not to have heard that creative abortion.

I am so angry I spent money on that piece of fetid garbage. Palmer promoted it as if it were the proper follow-up to Theater is Evil, which was an excellent, heartbreaking, anthemic record. And instead, I Can Spin a Rainbow is a faux-intellectual monotone slog that sounds like it crowdsourced the lyrics and aesthetic from those shitty garage goth bands peddling their demos to Hot Topic teens on Myspace in 2006. It's offensively bad, managing to somehow merge "creatively sterile" and "tryhard edgelord" into the blandest, most agonizingly tedious piece of garbage I've ever put into my ears. I'd think it was trolling if she weren't so sincerely deluded about its quality.

It is literally the only album I've deleted off my computer. It's that bad.

subjectively speaking, Tori's Native Invader and Lorde's Melodrama were my Beekeepers this year. can't say that they're bad albums or anything, I just found myself underwhelmed

same with Utopia, but I didn't really have many expectations to begin with
    Не може со обични зборови да ја домами необичноста, зашто и необичните си имаат секој свој пат и тешко се среќаваат.

I don't think I have a full-fledged Beekeeper?! There were some minor disappointments. After such a long wait I wish Alison Krauss had done more for her new solo album. Tift Merritt also didn't live up to her last few. Neither is remotely unlistenable, though; just surprising that they aren't going to be in my Top 25 considering past reputation/catalogues. Maybe my most controversial, but I'm not as crazy as I want to be about Haim. I think they erred by releasing that fucking amazing live version of Right Now before the studio cut - it put expectations at a level that the album proper couldn't meet.

Oh Eisley was pretty disappointing actually.

imagine a future and be in it emanate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Perky Compson
    I feel like anyone who puts down an answer besides "that fucking Amanda Palmer album" is either lying or blessed enough not to have heard that creative abortion.
    I wasn't aware that she was promoting this as a follow up to Theatre is Evil or else I would've been more irritated by it. That had to be terribly disappointing for anybody who had that anticipatory carrot dangled in front of them. I don't follow her on any of her various platforms anymore, so when the album popped up on Spotify one day and sounded like yet another recording in a long string of tedious AP releases, I was like "Nope. Moving on."

Stuff I thought was meh in comparison to their previous music: Cold Specks, Torres

Stuff I didn't even listen to in full because the singles were garbage and I kinda can't even with Win Butler anymore: Arcade Fire

Quote Originally Posted by Perky Compson View Post
    Palmer promoted it as if it were the proper follow-up to Theater is Evil, which was an excellent, heartbreaking, anthemic record.
    did she? it always seemed like another one of her side projects, which tend to be...not great. i avoid them at all costs.

imagine a future and be in it emanate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kari
    I also am not impressed with The National album, but I need more time with it.
    I was so unimpressed that I forgot the fucking thing came out this year. I listened several times but didn't connect with it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEP View Post
    did she? it always seemed like another one of her side projects, which tend to be...not great. i avoid them at all costs.
    Here's the original press release, which I am providing receipts on just so I can continue to rage about how bullshit this album was:

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda Palmer
    right now? i am overjoyed. i’ve finally an ENTIRE new album for you, and this one is a life-long dream of mine. i’ll write more about the Making Of when it comes out…but meanwhile.

it’s been a dry season in the new-album department for me since making "Theatre is Evil" in 2012, i've put out a LOT of singles (here’s a list of all the flotsam and jetsam i’ve released on patreon) and worked on a ton of cover projects....covering david bowie, covering prince, covering leonard cohen, covering folk songs with my dad, and covering MYSELF (see: "piano is evil", my "theatre is evil" all-piano covers record that is currently a tour-only CD down here in australia but will be available to The Internetz).

yes: it is TIME FOR NEW MUSIC.
    And then it came out and it was like a Yamaha keyboard farting off generic sounds while Amanda and Edward Ka-Spel spooky-whispered about birds in cages and rainbows and little abused schoolchildren like juvenile dipshits who never read a book beyond Alice in Wonderland. It somehow dethroned 3OH!3's debut for my least favorite album ever, and Want held that title for nearly a decade. But holy god this album sucked.

Quote Originally Posted by emanate View Post
    Stuff I thought was meh in comparison to their previous music: Cold Specks, Torres
    This is definitely true: the new Torres is just so emotionally detached? Which is bizarre because she's very good at evoking emotion - Honey, Come to Terms, Ferris Wheel, Strange Hellos, A Proper Polish Welcome, Waterfall, etc are all very powerful and felt from the heart. But I have no idea what emotions someone's supposed to feel while listening to Marble Focus or Concrete Ganesha, and while it's all very polished musically it also feels very self-consciously arty, as if she labored over every single word and tried to find an idiosyncratic way of phrasing things, and fine-tuned each note to be less mainstream. Even the tracklist looks like someone trying to come up with song titles no one else has put out there yet. There's so much effort put into trying to craft an identity that it's tedious.

Cold Specks, on the other hand, just was so aggressively bland, which sucks because I loved both I Predict a Graceful Expulsion and Neuroplasticity. Fool's Paradise is just all the same tempo, anodyne and melodically samey and surrounded by very pedestrian beats. It doesn't sound like the work of a fully-fledged artist so much as a bunch of demos.

Alt Universe CliqueMember Spikey's Avatar
    "Atomized 2016" by the Raveonettes. It wasnt an album to begin with, and it should have stayed so.
    "Replies are a combination of nonsense, unrelated comments and inside jokes"‎

Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    I agree, though it has grown on me a lot. Helen in the Woods is demented in the best way, though it DOES sound like a PJ Harvey song. There are no big standouts for me the way the last one had, though.
    Even the way it quickly cuts out at the end made me say "oh, she's pulling a 'My Beautiful Leah'" when I first heard it!

I enjoy "Skim", "Bad Baby Pie" and "Helen in the Woods"...that's about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Perky Compson View Post
    Even the way it quickly cuts out at the end made me say "oh, she's pulling a 'My Beautiful Leah'" when I first heard it!

I enjoy "Skim", "Bad Baby Pie" and "Helen in the Woods"...that's about it.
    Word. I adore the album art, but the whole album left me with a “meh.” I like “Skim” but the guitar in the pre-chorus drives me nuts. Like “here’s an angry bee farting for you” for a measure or two.