Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: OMA's Worst Albums of 2017: The Beekeeper Award

Only knows desire. Perky Compson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    I agree, though it has grown on me a lot. Helen in the Woods is demented in the best way, though it DOES sound like a PJ Harvey song. There are no big standouts for me the way the last one had, though.
    Even the way it quickly cuts out at the end made me say "oh, she's pulling a 'My Beautiful Leah'" when I first heard it!

I enjoy "Skim", "Bad Baby Pie" and "Helen in the Woods"...that's about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Perky Compson View Post
    Even the way it quickly cuts out at the end made me say "oh, she's pulling a 'My Beautiful Leah'" when I first heard it!

I enjoy "Skim", "Bad Baby Pie" and "Helen in the Woods"...that's about it.
    Word. I adore the album art, but the whole album left me with a “meh.” I like “Skim” but the guitar in the pre-chorus drives me nuts. Like “here’s an angry bee farting for you” for a measure or two.

thirst world problems Octopussy's Avatar
    I want to forget the new Björk album exists. Although if I need a headache for whatever reason, I might dig it out.

Royal Blood's album of this year was very boring, so by-the-numbers.
    When he woke up, the dinosaur was still there.

I didn't even notice 3 people mention Torres???! That is my favorite album of hers yet. I only skip the first track. If I had to rank sequencing on all my favorite albums, this part would be among the best of the year:

- Greener Stretch - minimal synth on point.
    - Helen in the Woods - Corin Tucker singing a PJ Harvey song is hardly a bad thing, ever.
    - Bad Baby Pie - I hear a dance remix in there, no joke
    - Marble Focus - a dreamy interlude
    - Concrete Ganesha - bringing back Sonic Youth for the children!

Yeah, this one's easy:

Tedious, self-absorbed and, worst of all, not that catchy anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by BrotherNamedErised View Post
    Tedious, self-absorbed and, worst of all, not that catchy anymore.
    I haven't listened to the whole thing, but if someone told me that Gorgeous song was written by the same person as Rebecca Black's Friday I would not think they were lying.

I'm sure there's been many much worse albums released this year but this one is the only one that I'm truly disappointed in. I was really looking forward to it after the incredible tryptych of Actor>Strange Mercy>s/t (I consider Marry Me to be her juvenilia), and it turned out to be such a dud. Her originality and uncanny musicanship were sanded off and dumbed down in favor of an ironic pseudo-intellectual commentary about consumerism over cheap pop backing tracks. I know that playing alt Taylor Swift probably pays the bills, so good for her, but I'll forever miss the old Annie.

Ugh, equating “pop” with “cheap” and “dumbed down” is so lazy and dull.

^ Oh, but there's plenty of pop songs and albums I adore. But Masseduction isn't one of them. Sound- and arrangement-wise it sounds like a bunch of Lorde B-sides produced by whoever was making the Flaming Lips' records in the mid-00s (Dave Fridmann IIRC). So yeah, I stand by my "cheap" and "dumbed down" comments, especially compared to her previous albums.

MASSEDUCTION really cooks, production-wise. It's definitely not "cheap" -- sure you're not thinking of Björk & Arca's GarageBand experiment? The lyrics seem more repetitive than usual, but hardly "dumbed down" and there are earworm hooks everywhere.

Haha, okay, obviously we have totally different tastes and approaches, but if we're talking about a GarageBand experiment it must be the gag-worthy glory of PILLS PILLS PILS! PILLS TO SLEEP! *enter default/preset synths* -- I mean, it sounds so bloody dated to me that I can't help laughing even thinking about it.

But different strokes and all. I was only trying to express my disappointment with Masseduction because, well, I was really anticipating it. I guess that's what the Beekeeper award is about, right? Not truly awful albums but the ones who turned out to be extremely underwhelming? If we're talking really dreadful pieces of music - well, I heard a quarter of Ed Sheeran's record during an Uber ride.
    Last edited by rubidoux; 11-23-2017 at 09:59 PM.

Only knows desire. Perky Compson's Avatar
    Wow, St Vincent fans be sensitive.

Masseduction is really bland, heavy handed and uninspired production-wise. Everything on it sounds like it could have been made ten years ago. Whoomp there it is.

Except Los Ageless which still doesn’t sound fresh but is earwormy as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Domandapiano View Post
    (Waits for someone to mention bjork)
    That's my Beekeeper for 2017

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Perky Compson again."