Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 49

Thread: OMA's Worst Albums of 2017: The Beekeeper Award

  1. #31
    megaphone to my chest MikeEP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,815
    Quote Originally Posted by Perky Compson View Post
    Wow, St Vincent fans be sensitive.

    Masseduction is really bland, heavy handed and uninspired production-wise. Everything on it sounds like it could have been made ten years ago. Whoomp there it is.
    Since I assume this was at least partially directed at me, I still don’t follow this line of criticism at all. I don’t think it’s her best album by any means but a song like New York or Young Lover or the title track could have been made in 2007? Like what does that even mean? It’s just odd particularly for an artist like St. Vincent who clearly draws inspiration from influences from so many different eras. That’s why I still think it’s lazy to dismiss it with such a surface-level dig, which feels like being snarky for the sake of being snarky. But I get that you enjoy that. I’ll drop it now.

  2. #32
    Only knows desire. Perky Compson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,839
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeEP View Post
    Since I assume this was at least partially directed at me, I still don’t follow this line of criticism at all. I don’t think it’s her best album by any means but a song like New York or Young Lover or the title track could have been made in 2007? Like what does that even mean? It’s just odd particularly for an artist like St. Vincent who clearly draws inspiration from influences from so many different eras. That’s why I still think it’s lazy to dismiss it with such a surface-level dig, which feels like being snarky for the sake of being snarky. But I get that you enjoy that. I’ll drop it now.
    I'm being snarky because it's a particularly annoying attitude to treat someone else's disappointment in an album (in the Beekeeper Awards thread, no less) as something where they're just lazy and dull and don't get it. People can have differently opinions about things without just being too stupid to understand it or not having given it enough of a chance. Sometimes something is just not their taste. Sometimes something is great in ways that appeal to one person and falls short in ways that matter to another.

    As for St. Vincent, she is not an artist I enjoy, which drives me crazy because she seems like one I should enjoy and influences (and is influenced by) other musicians I adore. But every time I listen to her I feel as if I'm listening to an intellectually-persnickety, emotionally-sterile buzz that has little movement or climax to it. As someone who mostly listens to music for catharsis, St. Vincent's mannered approach to composition and vocals leaves me cold. And that's fine, that's just not the artist she is, but my opinion is that she's the budget rock version of My Brightest Diamond, who is similarly mannered but doesn't lose her humanity in her songs.

    And Masseduction does sound like it could have been put out ten years ago. Aside from some more reliance on electronics, I can't hear much of a difference between the general sonic palette or compositional styles of Masseduction and Actor, despite the album being marketed as a huge departure. There's some influence from 2000's-era Nine Inch Nails on the title track and Sugarboy, I guess? It's disappointing to me because I picked up the album on the hope that even if I didn't connect emotionally with the music, that it would blow my mind in terms of arrangement and production, that I would hear something that sounded fresh and opened up my sense of space in the music or felt as if no one else could do it, and that's not what I got.

    So I'm glad that you enjoy Masseduction! For the most part I don't, and it's not that I've been lazy or that Rubidoux is some kind or rockist who doesn't understand the glories of pop. And like I said, I really like Los Ageless. I have similar criticisms to it that I do to the rest of the record, but that chorus is undeniably good.

  3. #33
    megaphone to my chest MikeEP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,815
    Quote Originally Posted by Perky Compson View Post
    I'm being snarky because it's a particularly annoying attitude to treat someone else's disappointment in an album (in the Beekeeper Awards thread, no less) as something where they're just lazy and dull and don't get it. People can have differently opinions about things without just being too stupid to understand it or not having given it enough of a chance.
    Perky, come on. I never called anyone stupid. I said that the common criticism of equating pop with being “cheap” and “dumbed down” is lazy and dull.

    And I think it’s also, as you said, particularly annoying to completely dismiss someone else’s enjoyment/opinion or someone else’s work for that matter with a “whoomp there it is.”

  4. #34
    Only knows desire. Perky Compson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,839
    That was just me escalating.

  5. #35
    megaphone to my chest MikeEP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,815
    Fair enough! Lol. Let’s just disagree to disagree here. Seriously not trying to be a dick and I totally cop to being sensitive/defensive..she’s one of my favorite artists.

  6. #36
    Only knows desire. Perky Compson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,839
    No worries! I know I do jump on the snark bandwagon when I sense a whiff of "you just don't get it", so my apologies that I jumped the gun a bit.

  7. #37
    imagine a future and be in it emanate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    2,036
    Quote Originally Posted by Octopussy
    I didn't even notice 3 people mention Torres???! That is my favorite album of hers yet. I only skip the first track.
    We're opposites on this. That's the one track I like on it.

  8. #38
    imagine a future and be in it emanate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    2,036
    Quote Originally Posted by rubidoux View Post
    Haha, okay, obviously we have totally different tastes and approaches, but if we're talking about a GarageBand experiment it must be the gag-worthy glory of PILLS PILLS PILS! PILLS TO SLEEP! *enter default/preset synths* -- I mean, it sounds so bloody dated to me that I can't help laughing even thinking about it.
    "Pills" is without a doubt the most annoying song I have heard all year. I actually enjoy some of the other tracks on Masseduction, but I listened to that damn song once and it still finds its way into my brain when I'm doing laundry or whatever. Gag is right.

  9. #39
    fights battles for no one Nora's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    586
    Quote Originally Posted by rubidoux View Post
    I know that playing alt Taylor Swift probably pays the bills, so good for her, but I'll forever miss the old Annie.
    So funny you say this, because Taylor Swift's Reputation and St Vincent's Masseducation are my two beekeepers of the year.
    Last edited by Nora; 11-27-2017 at 09:18 PM. Reason: I dislike St V's so much I forgot the album title!

  10. #40
    generally largely right Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    2,065
    There have been many musical disappointments this year as far as I'm concerned. However, the standout winner of the Beekeeper award is by far Everything Now. Arcade Fire seemed to have the Midas touch; everything they put out was ranging from very good to insanely great. This time? Bad music, bad (and at times callous) lyrics, wholly inappropriate attitude, histrionic narcissism. Granted, there are three songs on the record that have joined the pantheon of AF classics (the title track, Electric Blue and the underrated Put Your Money on Me), but its lows are so many and so trite that you get the feeling they're just taking the piss and they're going to reveal the real album later.

    There are some honorable mentions, but they don't get anywhere near as bad. The National, for instance, after four truly unimpeachable records (all among my favorites of all time), have tried to switch it up a bit. In the process, they seem to have lost that anthemic quality that all their best material seems to possess. What's left doesn't sound bad, but it's simply not on par with what came before. Amanda Palmer has the dubious honor of putting out two disastrous records in one year (I Can Spin a Rainbow and Piano Is Evil), but expectations were kind of low at that point. Björk has sort of gone off the deep end musically with Utopia, but kind of works as atmospheric background music. Taylor Swift? Who cares.

  11. #41
    entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Kentuckiana
    Posts
    5,695
    I really hate this but Tamar Braxton' ‑ Bluebird Of Happiness was one of the most anticipated albums of the year and there isn't one song I enjoy or would listen to right now. Not even "Blind" which got heavy airplay.
    Miss Vanjieeee. Miss Vanjiee. ..Miss Van..

  12. #42
    Senior Member lettyt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    290
    maybe it will grow on me, but so far, the new Fever Ray album is super disappointing. I loved the first one so much but this is all just so..abrasive and boring and clunky imo.

    oh gosh, almost forgot, but the new Austra album feels so uninspired. Feel it Break is one of my favorite albums ever & I keep expecting something that good again.
    Last edited by lettyt; 12-01-2017 at 08:35 PM.
    I miss, I miss,/how you'd sigh yourself to sleep
    When I raked the springtime /across your sheets

  13. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by lettyt View Post
    oh gosh, almost forgot, but the new Austra album feels so uninspired. Feel it Break is one of my favorite albums ever & I keep expecting something that good again.
    Austra's latest is my album of the year, but I distinctly remember thinking it was bland the first time I heard it. Thankfully, it turned out to be a grower.

    My beekeeper award for 2017 was an easy pick: Bjork's Utopia. Even though I didn't have high expectations, it turned out to be much more terrible than I anticipated. It seemed inconceivable that she'd release an album without a single good song on it, but it happened.

    On the other hand, I wasn't surprised that Bush, Marilyn Manson and Billy Corgan released albums without a single keeper, but I was still saddened by them.

    A close second place goes to Goldfrapp's Silver Eye. I mean, wtf happened here!?!?!? This was supposed to be filled with filthy, "metal machine" bangers! Systemagic is great and Anymore is good enough, but the rest is so thoroughly boring. I actually love most of the slow Goldfrapp songs, but those typically have good melodies and the ones on Silver Eye don't. Unlike Tales of Us, Silver Eye tries to rely solely on ambiance. This was almost my top pick because I had much higher expectations for Goldfrapp than for Bjork. I'm praying that Goldfrapp can bounce back from this.

    Beck's Colors is kind of the opposite of Utopia: an album meant to be as accessible to the masses as possible. Unfortunately, many of the songs are extremely generic and lack a good hook. I'm still keeping 3-5 songs off of this, so it's not a disaster, but it does qualify for a dishonorable mention.

    Rounding out my disappointing albums list is Strange Words and Weird Wars. That's the awful album title of Marnie's second solo album. You might remember her from Ladytron. It just sucks that new material from Ladytron was put on the back-burner so that Marnie could release this bright and shiny turd. Alphabet Block might be the only keeper off of this one.

  14. #44
    Well guess what Mimi, WE DID. Octopussy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    7,328
    Quote Originally Posted by VampireTampon View Post
    Austra's latest is my album of the year, but I distinctly remember thinking it was bland the first time I heard it. Thankfully, it turned out to be a grower.
    Utopia might be their best song yet.


    Quote Originally Posted by VampireTampon View Post
    A close second place goes to Goldfrapp's Silver Eye. I mean, wtf happened here!?!?!? This was supposed to be filled with filthy, "metal machine" bangers! Systemagic is great and Anymore is good enough, but the rest is so thoroughly boring. I actually love most of the slow Goldfrapp songs, but those typically have good melodies and the ones on Silver Eye don't. Unlike Tales of Us, Silver Eye tries to rely solely on ambiance. This was almost my top pick because I had much higher expectations for Goldfrapp than for Bjork. I'm praying that Goldfrapp can bounce back from this.
    Faux Suede Drifter, Ocean, and Beast That Never Was are AMAZING. This is one of their best albums IMO.

  15. #45
    Senior Member Nick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    3,964
    Sheryl Crow already has a couple of Beekeeper albums, so I'm going to give Be Myself the Unrepentant Geraldines Award. The album seems to come from a better place, it shows more awareness of what made her great in the first place, her voice sounds great, but the songs themselves just aren't quite there yet. Hopefully she puts out her own Native Invader in the future!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •