Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Upcoming Thread: What Are You Looking Forward To?

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    The new HALLOWEEN film looks incredible. Can't wait to see what new storyline they have since everything has been thrown out the window that happened after the first film.
    Lori Strode 40 years later with a panic room and more rifles than a small Siberian town.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar

oh boy did this make me forget how much I hate trump and remember how much I hated Bush and Cheney.

I don't know if I would say I'm looking forward to having my blood boil for 90-120 minutes and I didn't like The Big Short all that much, but it seems very interesting.

And holy hell. I'm calling 2nd consecutive Oscar* for Sam Rockwell right now.

*May not be same category, but two in a row is still quite a feat.
    Last edited by Regina Phalange; 10-03-2018 at 03:08 PM.

Ahhhh cannot wait for this. Please, please be good! Michelle Gomez

Quote Originally Posted by Regina Phalange View Post

oh boy did this make me forget how much I hate trump and remember how much I hated Bush and Cheney.

I don't know if I would say I'm looking forward to having my blood boil for 90-120 minutes and I didn't like The Big Short all that much, but it seems very interesting.

And holy hell. I'm calling 2nd consecutive Oscar* for Sam Rockwell right now.

*May not be same category, but two in a row is still quite a feat.
    I liked The Big Short but didn't care for the Wolf of Wall Street. I learned a lot more from The Big Short which maybe is why some might not have found it very entertaining.

For me.. Bush/Cheney had a much more evil undertone than Trump so far. Just thinking about Halliburton alone.. and how many lives were lost and we're still losing because of the destabilization, no WMDs, daily suicide bombings that would average 90 deaths a day not to mention the 4000 men and women in the US Armed forces.

Actually I don't really have to draw a distinction between Cheney and Trump. They're both awful, awful people. One more covert than the other.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

Mark Ruffalo Limited Series ‘I Know This Much Is True’ Gets HBO Green Light

HBO has greenlighted for production I Know This Much Is True, a six-episode limited drama series based on Wally Lamb’s bestselling book. The project hails from Mark Ruffalo, who stars in a dual role and executive produces; Derek Cianfrance (The Place Beyond the Pines); and FilmNation Entertainment.

I Know This Much Is True has been a priority for HBO, which fast-tracked development on the limited series last fall.

Written, directed and executive produced by Cianfrance, the family saga follows the parallel lives of identical twin brothers Dominick and Thomas Birdsey, both played by Ruffalo, in an epic story of betrayal, sacrifice and forgiveness set against the backdrop of 20th century America.
    I cannot express how much I love this book. I love almost all of Wally Lamb's novels (didn't like the most recent one) so much. They just kill me. I read this book... oh... probably almost 20 years ago now... and have re-read it several times and it really just haunts me. I think about it a lot. I was thinking about it last week. I don't know if I "see" Mark as the main character but he's good enough of an actor that it's not like tiny Tom Cruise as ginormous Jack Reacher. I pictured someone more mundane... like someone who looks like Scott Adams. Oh this is going to be so good.

I'm so excited for this. I love the original, but I know this will be its own beast entirely.

A spooky, disturbing, arthouse movie about dancing witches filled with feminist themes, gore, and Tilda Swinton playing not one, not two, but THREE different parts? YES, PLEASE.

Quote Originally Posted by Joey View Post
    I'm so excited for this. I love the original, but I know this will be its own beast entirely.

A spooky, disturbing, arthouse movie about dancing witches filled with feminist themes, gore, and Tilda Swinton playing not one, not two, but THREE different parts? YES, PLEASE.

Suspiria seconded. Can't wait for this weekend. They turned a 100 page script into a 150 min. movie so I expect lots of atmosphere. Here's a fun little thing as well: patriciasdiary.com (only works on mobile)

Also:

Destroyer
    Widows
    Climax
    Vox Lux
    Last edited by Adirondak; 10-25-2018 at 05:39 PM.

HOLY SHIT. Bale looks just like Cheney and not at all like himself. I remember when I told my friend of that particular bit of casting, and she just burst out laughing. But it looks like it works. And I LOVED The Big Short. So yeah, this is officially Number Two on my “looking forward to” list.

Number One was just mentioned.

Natalie Portman as a batshit rock star? YES PLEASE. But I’m also looking forward to seeing Raffey Cassidy as her daughter. This girl, who just recently turned 16, blew me away in The Killing of a Sacred Deer. I understand that she’s absolutely central to the movie, and my guess is that we’ll see the second great performance of the year by someone born in this century, after Thomasin McKenzie in Leave No Trace, which is a fucking amazing movie that everyone needs to see right now.

And other promising stuff is coming. It’s gonna be even harder for me to see art films now that I’ve moved to a sleepy- ass small city, but I’ll try!
    At my core, I think we're gonna be OK.

Barack Hussein Obama

Quote Originally Posted by Steve SFM View Post

Natalie Portman as a batshit rock star? YES PLEASE. But I’m also looking forward to seeing Raffey Cassidy as her daughter. This girl, who just recently turned 16, blew me away in The Killing of a Sacred Deer. I understand that she’s absolutely central to the movie, and my guess is that we’ll see the second great performance of the year by someone born in this century, after Thomasin McKenzie in Leave No Trace, which is a fucking amazing movie that everyone needs to see right now.

And other promising stuff is coming. It’s gonna be even harder for me to see art films now that I’ve moved to a sleepy- ass small city, but I’ll try!
    Raffey Cassidy is an exciting new talent, she's incredibly gifted. But, I just can't with Natalie Portman. Vox Lux looks so interesting, but you can see her ACTING from miles away. I really want to like her, because she's clearly a very intelligent, hugely interesting woman in real life, but her performances are like nails on a chalkboard to me. I call it the Emma Watson Conundrum™.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BBC AMERICA GREENLIGHTS ORIGINAL SCRIPTED SERIES THE WATCH

BBC AMERICA announced today the greenlight of the new original scripted series, The Watch, based on Sir Terry Pratchett’s wildly popular “Discworld” novels, which have sold more than 90 million books worldwide. The (8 x 60) series is produced by BBC Studios for BBC AMERICA. The Watch is distributed by BBC Studios.

The Watch is a punk rock thriller inspired by the legendary ‘City Watch’ subset of “Discworld” novels. This disruptive, character-driven thriller centers on Terry Pratchett’s misfit cops as they fight to save a ramshackle city of normalized wrongness, from both the past and future in a perilous quest. Modern and inclusive, The Watch features many famous “Discworld” creations including City Watch Captain Sam Vimes, the last scion of nobility Lady Sybil Ramkin, the naïve but heroic Carrot, the mysterious Angua and the ingenious non-binary forensics expert Cheery together with Terry Pratchett’s iconic characterization of Death.

“The Watch has been startlingly reimagined for television by writer Simon Allen, while still cleaving to the humor, heart and ingenuity of Terry Pratchett’s incomparably original work,” commented BBC AMERICA President, Sarah Barnett. “BBC AMERICA embraces what’s fresh and exhilarating in TV; we believe The Watch will astonish audiences.”

Writer Simon Allen said: “With events in our own world making the insanity of ‘Discworld’ seem outrageously familiar, there couldn’t be a better time to bring Terry’s fun, fire and fury back to the small screen or a better place than BBC AMERICA. I’m grateful to them, BBC Studios and especially Rob Wilkins at Narrativia who has been a constant source of inspiration on this epic and emotional journey.”

Hilary Salmon, Executive Producer and Head of BBC Studios Drama Production London, said: “The Watch is a distinctly British but defiantly global exhilarating, thriller that is disruptive in its approach to the fantasy genre and also big on the themes of mortality, inclusion, alternative facts and justice. It’s a dizzying riot of hope, joy, suspense and audaciously dark humor. We can’t wait to work with BBC AMERICA to bring it all to life for existing fans and brand new audiences.”

Rob Wilkins, Executive Producer and Managing Director of Narrativia, said: “Many years ago Terry made the brave decision to allow brand new Watch stories to be told with his existing characters. It’s taken a long time for anything to happen because we guard these characters with our very lives! So many of Terry’s biggest ideas seem more vital and urgent now than ever before and I am thrilled to be working with Simon and such a talented team, who understand the unique genius of their creator. They have really keyed into the subversive qualities of Terry’s voice and they clearly adore ‘Discworld’ as much as I and millions of fans around the world do.”
    Guys. Guys. GUYS. I know not everyone is familiar with Pratchett but for those of us who are? Omg I can't stand it! We get Good Omens in a few weeks and now this?! And while some authors have trunks of shit they've never published, Terry literally had a steamroller go over his computer after his death. We're not going to get new stuff unless it gets adapted for screen. And by BBC America? It won't be a cheese fest (not that I didn't enjoy The Colour of Magic and Hogfather adaptations).

Insert something clever here iamstilljamiepoo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Regina Phalange View Post
    Mark Ruffalo Limited Series ‘I Know This Much Is True’ Gets HBO Green Light

I cannot express how much I love this book. I love almost all of Wally Lamb's novels (didn't like the most recent one) so much. They just kill me. I read this book... oh... probably almost 20 years ago now... and have re-read it several times and it really just haunts me. I think about it a lot. I was thinking about it last week. I don't know if I "see" Mark as the main character but he's good enough of an actor that it's not like tiny Tom Cruise as ginormous Jack Reacher. I pictured someone more mundane... like someone who looks like Scott Adams. Oh this is going to be so good.
    Oh my goodness Oh my goodness. This is still a Top-10 favorite book for me. I hope they do it justice. I really do.

Bring it!

Still waiting on something solid about a new season of The OA.
    Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

Oh, God. Brit Marling. Yeah, put me on that list. But now, since I have Netflix and I’ve watched Stranger Things, I need to watch the first season!
    At my core, I think we're gonna be OK.

Barack Hussein Obama

Are they ever going to put out OA 2? I mean, it's been a hot minute when she was doing interviews saying they were about to start filming it.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

Quote Originally Posted by Volta View Post
    Are they ever going to put out OA 2? I mean, it's been a hot minute when she was doing interviews saying they were about to start filming it.
    There's something, vague, here.

The OA season 2 release date, theories, cast, and everything you need to know

*S1 spoilers behind link*

Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."