Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 70

Thread: Songs you like (But most people hate)

  1. #31
    Molecular Machine John's Face's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    902
    Jamaica Inn
    Cars and Guitars (saw it at her special secret performance at Pioneer Square in Portland, and I loved it live.)
    Orange Knickers
    Digital Ghost
    Teenage Hustling
    Mary
    A Silent Night With You
    Curtain Call (album version is fine with me)
    Maids of E
    All I want to be is the very best machine I can be.

  2. #32
    megaphone to my chest MikeEP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,679
    Witness
    Sweet the Sting
    Jamaica Inn
    Glory of the 80s
    Don't Make Me Come to Vegas

    i remember back in the day when people used to hate She's Your Cocaine

  3. #33
    pummelled gall-nuts afloat in urine
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,972
    programmable soda
    those twenty minute live organ renditions of the beekeeper
    raining blood

  4. #34
    Baby it BURNS thisnotget's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    NW Indiana
    Posts
    486
    Quote Originally Posted by Octopussy View Post
    I forgot VEGAS!!! I love that one too!! I didn't even think of Scarlet era because it's generally adored, but my favorite song from there is Your Cloud which doesn't seem to have a lot of fans either.

    I have always loved Heart of Gold, but I've heard people say it was noisy mess. It's the last time she ever committed crazy, panting Pele-style vocals to a record.
    Heart of Gold owns my body
    -time moves both ways-

  5. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    133
    I also forgot to add Ophelia, FTYP and Sweet the sting.
    The hate for Ophelia bothers me the Most I think because I never understood why people disliked it so much. The best description I got is that it sounds like I-feel-yah.

  6. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by iwo1333 View Post
    The hate for Ophelia bothers me the Most I think because I never understood why people disliked it so much. The best description I got is that it sounds like I-feel-yah.
    For me, it's Tori-by-numbers. It's a classic example of what Tori did all too frequently in the 00's, which was try to recreate her signature "girl with a piano" sound, except with none of the inspiration and energy that she had when she was starting out. The result is a song that veers dangerously close to self-parody. She sounds like what people who have never listened to Tori Amos think Tori Amos sounds like: this weepy, Lilith Fair-ready (and that's not intended as a diss; many of those artists are brilliant but they are associated with a specific image) songstress who sits on a piano and airs out her grievances for those in need of a good cry. None of her sharpness, musical complexity, performative style and wit survive in transition. Also see: "Girl Disappearing", "Maybe California".

    P.S. Also, Allison, Charlotte, Veronica; who the fuck are these women and why are they all married?

  7. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    133
    Quote Originally Posted by BrotherNamedErised View Post
    Also see: "Girl Disappearing", "Maybe California".
    That might just be how I like my Tori sometimes. I think those songs are pretty much how you described them, but for me, it's a good thing to have a simple, just-a-girl-with-the-piano song just to have that good cry without all the songwriting complexities of her earlier work (Don't get me wrong, overall I still prefer the older records) even if the lyrics are trite and unwitty.

  8. #38
    imagine a future and be in it emanate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    2,026
    Quote Originally Posted by Octopussy
    I have always loved Heart of Gold, but I've heard people say it was noisy mess. It's the last time she ever committed crazy, panting Pele-style vocals to a record.
    Yes! Heart of Gold is fantastic. It's not one of my most-played tracks or even my favorite from SLG, but I've always loved it.

    Sign me up for Secret Spell love too. It made me smile during a shitty time in my life and I'll always feel warmly toward it for that reason.

    Ireland, sha-na-na-nas and all. It sounds like she forgot how to write a chorus, but the verses are kinda hot. I know it's a damn mess, but I like it anyway.
    Last edited by emanate; 11-29-2017 at 12:39 AM.

  9. #39
    trapped in the worst timeline just owls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    4,653
    I had no idea people hated Heart of Gold. You monsters!

    I feel like most of ADP is her trying to recreate what worked about She's Your Cocaine and Heart of Gold and falling about 90% short.

  10. #40
    Baby it BURNS thisnotget's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    NW Indiana
    Posts
    486
    Quote Originally Posted by BrotherNamedErised View Post
    For me, it's Tori-by-numbers. It's a classic example of what Tori did all too frequently in the 00's, which was try to recreate her signature "girl with a piano" sound, except with none of the inspiration and energy that she had when she was starting out. The result is a song that veers dangerously close to self-parody. She sounds like what people who have never listened to Tori Amos think Tori Amos sounds like: this weepy, Lilith Fair-ready (and that's not intended as a diss; many of those artists are brilliant but they are associated with a specific image) songstress who sits on a piano and airs out her grievances for those in need of a good cry. None of her sharpness, musical complexity, performative style and wit survive in transition. Also see: "Girl Disappearing", "Maybe California".

    P.S. Also, Allison, Charlotte, Veronica; who the fuck are these women and why are they all married?
    “The people coming to the shows, they were saying things. Women and girls were coming to me, crying in my arms for a multitude of reasons. I knew that I had to be the corn mother for these girls and held a space for them. And that’s when the songs started coming. I held a big enough space for these women to one day be able to afford Louboutins and Manolo’s again in this economy. I knew that the two Marys were going to have to let it happen.”
    -time moves both ways-

  11. #41
    my log has something to tell you NightHunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    344
    Most of the studio output from 05-09 (Strong Black Vine esp the live arrangement, the ADP concept- its variety, Ophelia, Big Wheel, fat slut, fire to your plain, not dying today)
    The live, solo Beekeeper from the 05 tour
    white telephone to god
    raining blood
    I don't like Mondays
    yo George
    cars and guitars
    flicker

  12. #42
    HUH! HUP! HYAAAAT! Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Texas USA
    Posts
    5,536
    Oh, and Toast. Do people dislike Toast? Because that would be just stupid.

  13. #43
    imagine a future and be in it emanate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    2,026
    ^ I like Toast. It's one of the few TBK tracks I've always liked.

  14. #44
    my log has something to tell you NightHunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    344
    I like Toast. Its nice and earnest. In an atypical way for T.

  15. #45
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    133
    True Story: When I got Toast in Manchester this tour I didn't even recognize it and I thought 'Well, they're late with the Fake Muse sign!, she must be doing some boring cover request song...'

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •