Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Songs you like (But most people hate)

programmable soda
    those twenty minute live organ renditions of the beekeeper
    raining blood

Quote Originally Posted by Octopussy View Post
    I forgot VEGAS!!! I love that one too!! I didn't even think of Scarlet era because it's generally adored, but my favorite song from there is Your Cloud which doesn't seem to have a lot of fans either.

I have always loved Heart of Gold, but I've heard people say it was noisy mess. It's the last time she ever committed crazy, panting Pele-style vocals to a record.
    Heart of Gold owns my body
    -time moves both ways-

I also forgot to add Ophelia, FTYP and Sweet the sting.
    The hate for Ophelia bothers me the Most I think because I never understood why people disliked it so much. The best description I got is that it sounds like I-feel-yah.

Last edited by BrotherNamedErised; 08-01-2018 at 09:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BrotherNamedErised View Post
    Also see: "Girl Disappearing", "Maybe California".
    That might just be how I like my Tori sometimes. I think those songs are pretty much how you described them, but for me, it's a good thing to have a simple, just-a-girl-with-the-piano song just to have that good cry without all the songwriting complexities of her earlier work (Don't get me wrong, overall I still prefer the older records) even if the lyrics are trite and unwitty.

imagine a future and be in it emanate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Octopussy
    I have always loved Heart of Gold, but I've heard people say it was noisy mess. It's the last time she ever committed crazy, panting Pele-style vocals to a record.
    Yes! Heart of Gold is fantastic. It's not one of my most-played tracks or even my favorite from SLG, but I've always loved it.

Sign me up for Secret Spell love too. It made me smile during a shitty time in my life and I'll always feel warmly toward it for that reason.

Ireland, sha-na-na-nas and all. It sounds like she forgot how to write a chorus, but the verses are kinda hot. I know it's a damn mess, but I like it anyway.
    Last edited by emanate; 11-28-2017 at 11:39 PM.

trapped in the worst timeline just owls's Avatar
    I had no idea people hated Heart of Gold. You monsters!

I feel like most of ADP is her trying to recreate what worked about She's Your Cocaine and Heart of Gold and falling about 90% short.

Quote Originally Posted by BrotherNamedErised View Post
    For me, it's Tori-by-numbers. It's a classic example of what Tori did all too frequently in the 00's, which was try to recreate her signature "girl with a piano" sound, except with none of the inspiration and energy that she had when she was starting out. The result is a song that veers dangerously close to self-parody. She sounds like what people who have never listened to Tori Amos think Tori Amos sounds like: this weepy, Lilith Fair-ready (and that's not intended as a diss; many of those artists are brilliant but they are associated with a specific image) songstress who sits on a piano and airs out her grievances for those in need of a good cry. None of her sharpness, musical complexity, performative style and wit survive in transition. Also see: "Girl Disappearing", "Maybe California".

P.S. Also, Allison, Charlotte, Veronica; who the fuck are these women and why are they all married?
    “The people coming to the shows, they were saying things. Women and girls were coming to me, crying in my arms for a multitude of reasons. I knew that I had to be the corn mother for these girls and held a space for them. And that’s when the songs started coming. I held a big enough space for these women to one day be able to afford Louboutins and Manolo’s again in this economy. I knew that the two Marys were going to have to let it happen.”
    -time moves both ways-

my log has something to tell you NightHunter's Avatar
    Most of the studio output from 05-09 (Strong Black Vine esp the live arrangement, the ADP concept- its variety, Ophelia, Big Wheel, fat slut, fire to your plain, not dying today)
    The live, solo Beekeeper from the 05 tour
    white telephone to god
    raining blood
    I don't like Mondays
    yo George
    cars and guitars
    flicker

Oh, and Toast. Do people dislike Toast? Because that would be just stupid.

imagine a future and be in it emanate's Avatar
    ^ I like Toast. It's one of the few TBK tracks I've always liked.

my log has something to tell you NightHunter's Avatar
    I like Toast. Its nice and earnest. In an atypical way for T.

True Story: When I got Toast in Manchester this tour I didn't even recognize it and I thought 'Well, they're late with the Fake Muse sign!, she must be doing some boring cover request song...'

Oooh!

White Telephone to God
    My Posse Can Do
    500 Miles
    Flavor
    Posse Bonus (fight me bro)
    Curtain Call
    A Silent Night with You
    Pink and Glitter
    Girl Disappearing
    Flicker

and to a much lesser extent on the contentiousness:
    China
    Lust
    Me and a Gun
    Wings
    Angels
    Snow Cherries from France
    Jamaica Inn
    The Power of Orange Knickers
    Pisces
    The Beekeeper
    'Tis better to bend with the wind than stand tall and be broken. Therein lies hope; therein lies freedom.

Well guess what Mimi, WE DID. Octopussy's Avatar
    I forgot Girl Disappearing. I really love that one, and the Lawrence Legs & Boots is one of my favorite things from the 2000's era.

Ophelia can have a seat, though. The music is pretty but the lyrics sound like tripe. Maybe California can take several seats, or maybe a whole stadium. There is nothing to like about that song.