Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Your 2017 in Review: 17 Questions

Icon15

1. Who is the person you admired most in 2017?
    In my personal life, probably my sister. (I guess I should tell her that.) In the world at large, that’s a tougher one. For now I’m gonna go with Dr. Jordan Peterson. In a world of far left and radical right, he seems to be out there trying to get out a more logical and centrist view.

2. When did you say to yourself, “I’m fuckin’ awesome” in 2017?
    One of the most rewarding things about teaching is that you can often see a marked positive impact you have on a student’s life over the course of a year. But what’s even better is when a student from eight years back makes a special trip to see you at school and remind you of that impact.

3. Where is your favorite place you visited or traveled to in 2017?
    God help me, but it was Texas. Getting to spend some time with my friends in Fort Worth and Austin this summer after nearly a decade apart was pretty amazeballs.

4. When did you stand up and cheer in 2017?
    Saints beating the Redskins in overtime back in November. Who dat!

5. How did you improve something in 2017?
    I bought a FitBit and made a real effort to move more and eat better. Progress has been slow but steady (down 17lbs), and I’m hoping to continue to make even more progress and healthier changes in 2018.

6. Favorite meme of 2017?
    Roll Safe has to be #1. Close second is “Right in front of my salad?!”

7. Your favorite catch phrase of 2017?
    “I’m Pickle Riiiick!” I don’t even care if it got played out quick. I still love it.

8. What news story got you right in the feels in 2017?
    Zach Anner’s NYC Bagel Quest.

9. Favorite noms of 2017?
    Cuban pork tamales at this place called ¡Que Rico!

10. Favorite expletive you liked to say in 2017?
    F*ck, that's delicious!

11. Favorite adult beverage of 2017?
    Abita Boot became my go to brew this year.

12. What new snack did you discover this year?
    Coffee Nut M&Ms = Gamechanger.

13. Favorite guilty pleasure of 2017?
    Casey Neistat’s channel on YouTube. (I was this close to buying a pair of Ray Ban’s last month.)

14. Favorite moment of nostalgia you experienced in 2017?
    Sneaking a bunch of junkfood into the theater and watching a new Star Wars movie with my friends.

15. When did you comfort someone who needed it in 2017?
    My dad at my grandfather’s funeral.

16. Who is someone that comforted you in 2017?
    My ex-gf at the same funeral showed up totally by surprise, and it was such a comfort to see her and have her be there for me. I’m really grateful for that.

17. What’s the most beautiful thing you saw in 2017?
    Not to be corny, but family. I just really connected with my extended family in a big, positive way this year. And it was beautiful.

01. Who is the person you admired most in 2017?
    Honestly, @Kari. During all of this year's fuckery, nobody else was a better model of how I wanted to stand up to and get through it all. Favorite person 2017, again and again.

02. When did you sincerely say to yourself, “I’m fuckin’ awesome!” in 2017?
    This is stupid, but looking in the mirror as I approached losing 30lbs in the middle of the year. I've gained *some* of it back this past month (thanks winter! thanks depression!) but I still am pretty happy with myself right now.

03. Where is your favorite place you visited or traveled to in 2017?
    Fucking Minneapolis. SINCE WHEN. Beautiful, beautiful autumn though. My favorite.

04. When did you stand up and cheer in 2017?
    Tori Amos, St. Paul MN! I'm still in awe over how stupid. fucking. good. that show was. Homegirl did her country proud that night.

05. How did you improve something in 2017?
    I found employment ...in food service again. But for the time being, I'm making a lot more than I would have been in my entry level positions which means I'm happy enough for now even if it's not something I ever wanted to do again. That I work with some great folks, in a great part of downtown and get a lot of socialization I sorely missed only makes it easier to swallow I still don't know where I want to be in a year or five.

06. Favorite meme of 2017?
    Someone hipper than me should answer this for me because I do not know any memes past like, 2011.

07. Your favorite catch phrase of 2017?
    It's not new, but, TEAR-BENDING WITCH.

08. What news story got you right in the feels in 2017?
    Probably just the onslaught of weather stuff in Houston. It's not that far and wondering if our friends and loved ones would be okay was a trip.

09. Favorite noms of 2017?
    Mapo Tofu!

10. What expletive did you enjoy saying the most in 2017?
    It's never been my favorite, but... "ah, fuck." It just did it for me this year.

Motherfuckin` Slow & Low rye!

12. What great new snack did you discover this year?
    Tiny avocados. Embracing the generation, y'all.

I don't *really* believe in guilty pleasures but to go off of the last question - avocado on toast or bagels. fuck you, it's good.

14. Favorite moment of nostalgia you experienced in 2017?
    My partner started playing FINAL FANTASY XI online this past week and it's too old school for him; he keeps texting me asking me how to do things and expressing rage over UI/QOL-related things and I just cannot stop laughing. That game was everything when it came out (15 years ago and change, yikes) and I'll never forget how it taught me how to work and communicate with others (something this very place helped me with in the years that followed!)

15. When did you comfort someone who needed it in 2017?
    My mother-in-law's brother died almost overnight and we dropped everything to drive up to his funeral. I never met him and some of the extended family thought I was my partner's brother, but I know being there made a difference.

16. Who is someone that comforted you in 2017?
    Cheese shoe-in: Tori Amos. Either by virtue of her strength through her own shitty 2017 or her great record or tour, I can say all of it brought me a lot of comfort. This country can get through this.

17. What’s the most beautiful thing you saw in 2017?
    Leaves changing color by the city lakes of Minneapolis. Nothing like it.
    'Tis better to bend with the wind than stand tall and be broken. Therein lies hope; therein lies freedom.

THANKS @Faust I AM CRYING IN THE CAR

(No really thank you that means so much to me.)

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    01. Who is the person you admired most in 2017?
    Hillary. She held her head high and had much more restraint that I would have shown.

03. Where is your favorite place you visited or traveled to in 2017?
    NYC

04. When did you stand up and cheer in 2017?
    When John McCain cast the last vote against ACA repeal.

06. Favorite meme of 2017? (Pic please!)
    That alt-right/nazi getting punched in the face.

08. What news story got you right in the feels in 2017? (Link please!)
    I'm dead on the inside, so I can't remember any

09. Favorite noms of 2017? (snack, meal, restaurant)
    I'm turning into Ben Wyatt. My local grocery store has amazing calzones and I can't stop eating them.

10. What expletive did you enjoy saying the most in 2017?
    Fuck. The perennial winner.

Frozen mango margarita

12. What great new snack did you discover this year?
    I never had Red Vines before. They weren't really locally available and I finally found some. I prefer Twizzlers, but they're good too.

It was The Chew, but even though Mario is gone, I just can't watch it right now. I hope to be back in 2018.

I skipped a lot of the questions not because they weren't great, but because I can't remember what happened when.

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    01. Who is the person you admired most in 2017? Serena Williams - for winning an Grand Slam while being pregnant, standing up to the haters and tennis elite like a pro, for her TED talk, for her fashions and fashion line.. and for showing age ain't nothing but a number! She'll be winning slams into her 50s

02. When did you sincerely say to yourself, “I’m fuckin’ awesome!” in 2017? Being a part of Jeffersonville, Indiana pride/festival/and parade. And also competing in the Firecracker 3.5 singles tennis event in my county. I didn't win but I was close.

03. Where is your favorite place you visited or traveled to in 2017? Hopkinsville, Ky for the ECLIPSE

04. When did you stand up and cheer in 2017? I just remember being so cheerful during the Women's March.. I cheered on my friend Maggie who organized transportation from Louisville to DC. And for her saying for weeks "I have to be there. I will be there. I don't care. (as in.. fuck u Trump)"

05. How did you improve something in 2017? (It can be something about you, your family, community, or the world in general) A couple things: in April we had a flood that wiped out a huge portion of our town.
    It was a historic flood that had never been seen here before. A weather system literally sat over our city and dumped torrential rain for four hours. It was a matter of survival to help people out of the floods and a matter of endurance for the clean up afterwards. ALSO When my nephew was born in July with a rare disorder and things were touch and go.. and the community pitched in to help with medical costs, I really discovered how much and how far I'd push myself as almost a salesperson to get the word around.
    Also, protesting at Senator Young'

06. Favorite meme of 2017? (Pic please!)

07. Your favorite catch phrase of 2017? Good Lord Willin' and The Creek Don't Rise.

08. What news story got you right in the feels in 2017? The Women's March. It was amazing. I thought everyone had abandoned women including a lot of women. And to see women all over the country in their pink-knitted hats. I followed all the links many from this site to read about it, watch video about it. It made me feel like... there's hope.

09. Favorite noms of 2017? (snack, meal, restaurant) roasting root vegetables at 425 degrees - my aunt and uncles seafood restaurant . S&J's.. Shrimp Scampi

10. What expletive did you enjoy saying the most in 2017? Bitch. Seems hypocritical with all my love for The Women's march. Oh well.

11. Favorite adult beverage of 2017? Just plain ole Pinot Grigio, baby.

12. What great new snack did you discover this year? Salted Caramel Bars. The only good Walmart brand Ice Cream - Chocolate with Peanut Butter Fudge

13. Favorite guilty pleasure of 2017? Real Housewives of NYC. Dorinda Medley is my spirit animal. And Valentina at PLAY. I think that is where the shit that hit the fan was shat at.

14. Favorite moment of nostalgia you experienced in 2017? Trips out to Lake Salinda this past spring with family that moved out to Norfolk. Also XSCAPE reuniting for The Great XSCAPE tour. I really never thought they'd get back together as a group. They did and it's been a wild ride. So happy for them because they were one of the best Girl Groups of the 90s to never get their due. And they more than got it this year.

15. When did you comfort someone who needed it in 2017? When my grandfather passed away. Oct. 4th. We took shifts staying at the nursing home with him (he lived independently in his own house until weeks before his death) and I took the 10pm-5am shift. He refused to sleep. Refused his pain medications. He was in constant need although there was no way that a nurse could be in there every time he needed it. I experienced a very spiritual moment with him at around 4 am which was included in the text of his eulogy. My cousin and later her dad took the next shift. He took his pain medication and passed away almost immediately. I look back on that day and night a lot. Sometimes I think he refused medicine or sleep just cause he knew he'd pass away. I don't know. I felt that he felt it was a great comfort not being alone on the last night of his life.

16. Who is someone that comforted you in 2017? My mother.

17. What’s the most beautiful thing you saw in 2017? Recently, my new boyfriend. :gush:
    Last edited by Volta; 12-25-2017 at 04:00 AM.
    "Washing Machiiiiiine" - Kate Bush