Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Steve Caton interview coming soon 😱

Steve Caton interview coming soon 😱

The guys from the podcast Drive All Night: The Songs of Tori Amos interviewed Caton and are planning a live Twitter event for their Patreon supporters to listen along when it’s released. I am so curious what he will have to say for himself. The podcast hosts know their shit very well too and tend to go very in-depth with their interview subjects.

ETA:

If you haven’t listened to the podcast, they are doing an episode for each song in her catalog and do a lot of great interviews and also discuss and play versions of each song to show how they’ve transformed over the years.
    http://www.songsoftoriamos.com/

(Feel free to merge this with another thread obviously, I just got excited.)
    Last edited by MikeEP; 12-27-2017 at 05:05 AM.

thirst world problems Octopussy's Avatar

Ha! I'd love to hear his thoughts on Not David Bowie
    They say you were something in those formative years...

Sort of off-topic, but I don't care for that podcast. I remember being really excited when I heard the idea, but their takes on the songs are not particularly in-depth and most of their shows are in dire need of some structure.

Thanks for the feedback. I don't know which episodes you've listened to, and you're not obligated to like us, but we work pretty hard on the show - especially the editing! We follow the same structure for every episode these days which is:

Act I - Banter & Intros
    Act II - Place in the Canon / Quotes / Line By Line Interpretation / Favorite Musical & Lyrical Moment
    Act III - Interviews
    Act IV - Live Segment

Again you're not obligated to like us, but just wanted others who may read your comment to know we actually put a lot of work into the structure of the show

Quote Originally Posted by BrotherNamedErised View Post
    Sort of off-topic, but I don't care for that podcast. I remember being really excited when I heard the idea, but their takes on the songs are not particularly in-depth and most of their shows are in dire need of some structure.
    I don't post much here anymore, but I'd like to defend this podcast. These guys put a lot of work into these things. They are extensive, very much in depth and go deeper than I ever thought to go into a lot of these songs. Maybe you only tried a few of the early LE episodes? Since then, they have gone above and beyond. A lot of these are serious investigative reporting, and I'm not being hyperbolic. Take a listen to the Strange Fruit episode. Or the Professional Widow episode. Or really, any of them. These guys are amazing. They put a lot of heart and soul and sweat into making these for us. Most episodes post LE are easily over an hour long and have many many gems.

Plus, Oliver is the best editor. THE BEST.

Threat level: Bitch in a wheelchair andy's Avatar
    I feel like I'd be great on that podcast cuz I feel like I know literally every detail about every single song. I don't know what to do with all this information.
    Last edited by andy; 12-24-2017 at 07:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by iieeef View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. I don't know which episodes you've listened to, and you're not obligated to like us, but we work pretty hard on the show - especially the editing! We follow the same structure for every episode these days which is:

Act I - Banter & Intros
    Act II - Place in the Canon / Quotes / Line By Line Interpretation / Favorite Musical & Lyrical Moment
    Act III - Interviews
    Act IV - Live Segment

Again you're not obligated to like us, but just wanted others who may read your comment to know we actually put a lot of work into the structure of the show
    I love you guys and have spent countless hours listening ( at this point, I feel like I’m listening to old friends. It’s comforting somehow lol). I’ve learned so much I didn’t know ( and I thought I knew everything). In fact, I check back every week to see if you’ve added added another BFP episode. Any idea when it’s coming, btw? I know you were busy with the tour for a long time. Thanks for all the hard, hard work you do and for the thought you put into the podcast. The interviews are amazing. So is the banter, song analysis, etc. I wouldn’t change a thing! Drive All Night is indespensible for a Tori fan.

ETA: I know you didn’t ask for input, but I’d LOVE to hear you ask Caton about songs ( studio or live) he feels really proud of and thinks best represents the incredible creative pairing of the two of them. Thanks, guys! Also, you approached me for The It Might Hurt A Bit episode and I had no idea who you guys were. Now I’m kicking myself for not having time/forgetting about the request because I’d LOVE to be on the show. So yes, I am Kelly Conwaying myself and asking to be booked. Lol. For what topic I have no idea. Haha.
    The Landslide Never Brought, Brought Me Down

Email us and tell us what song you want to be on! songsoftoriamos@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    I love you guys and have spent countless hours listening ( at this point, I feel like I’m listening to old friends. It’s comforting somehow lol). I’ve learned so much I didn’t know ( and I thought I knew everything). In fact, I check back every week to see if you’ve added added another BFP episode. Any idea when it’s coming, btw? I know you were busy with the tour for a long time. Thanks for all the hard, hard work you do and for the thought you put into the podcast. The interviews are amazing. So is the banter, song analysis, etc. I wouldn’t change a thing! Drive All Night is indespensible for a Tori fan.
    Omg! That's so very kind! I still want to get you on our episode for It Might Hurt A bit Part II
    BUT yes we just released Mr Zebra for Christmas and now that tour is over we are planning to put out new episodes every other week!

Quote Originally Posted by Cunter Fartlett View Post
    I don't post much here anymore, but I'd like to defend this podcast. These guys put a lot of work into these things. They are extensive, very much in depth and go deeper than I ever thought to go into a lot of these songs. Maybe you only tried a few of the early LE episodes? Since then, they have gone above and beyond. A lot of these are serious investigative reporting, and I'm not being hyperbolic. Take a listen to the Strange Fruit episode. Or the Professional Widow episode. Or really, any of them. These guys are amazing. They put a lot of heart and soul and sweat into making these for us. Most episodes post LE are easily over an hour long and have many many gems.

Plus, Oliver is the best editor. THE BEST.
    I'll tel him you said that!! He's our unsung little hero

thirst world problems Octopussy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by andy View Post
    I feel like I'd be great on that podcast cuz I feel like I know literally every detail about every single song. I don't know what to do with all this information.
    Saaaaaaame, all of it, same same same.

I feel genuinely embarrassed for the post I made. I had no idea that the people responsible for the podcast post here, and the last thing I intended to do was badmouth someone else's work and force them to defend themselves like this. I listened to most episodes from the Little Earthquakes season which I did not enjoy back in the day, but will happily give the Pink episodes a try. My sincere apologies for the entire situation; I'm sure there's a lot of effort that goes into the production of the show, and I would never undermine someone else's work on purpose.

Just chiming in to share my love for the Professional Widow episode, especially.
    'Tis better to bend with the wind than stand tall and be broken. Therein lies hope; therein lies freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by BrotherNamedErised View Post
    I feel genuinely embarrassed for the post I made. I had no idea that the people responsible for the podcast post here, and the last thing I intended to do was badmouth someone else's work and force them to defend themselves like this. I listened to most episodes from the Little Earthquakes season which I did not enjoy back in the day, but will happily give the Pink episodes a try. My sincere apologies for the entire situation; I'm sure there's a lot of effort that goes into the production of the show, and I would never undermine someone else's work on purpose.
    don't worry about it at all and I appreciate you saying that.

when we first started the show, we thought of ourselves as fan girls doing 15 minute explorations of each song. after that first season we realized the show is much better if we act as investigative journalists and really hunt for answers. i will say we plan to re-record the Earthquakes season and make them something truly sensational, but we're neck deep in the Volcano atm!!