Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Album 2018

New Album 2018

Who's ready?

Madonna collaborates with Starrah and Billboard on new album

Madonna is currently in London working on her new music and revealed on Instagram she is collaborating with Starrah and Billboard.

Starrah, is an American songwriter, singer and rapper who co-wrote songs such as Rihanna’s “Needed Me,” Katy Perry’s “Swish Swish”, Nicki Minaj’s “No Frauds” and Camila Cabello’s “Havana”.

Montreal-based producer Billboard has worked with Ariana Grande, Britney Spears, Shakria, Dillon Francis, Kesha and Ellie Goulding.
    Billboard also co-produced “Ghosttown” off Madonna’s Rebel Heart album.

After fans started complaining, she posted this on IG....

Living in my own personal Cornwall bubble

I’m kinda excited for a new Madonna album. I’m 30 so really remember how exciting Ray of Light and Music eras where, but her last few albums have been too messy for me. Too many cooks I feel.

I am still a huge fan, but when looking over her catatlogue her strongest works are where she seems to just work with one producer/co writer.

Plus, I’d take quality over quantity any day. A 9 track album filled with bangers is ideal

I love Rebel Heart and think "Ghosttown" is a great song. MDNA was one of her weaker efforts--I liked it, but it'd rank towards the bottom if I were to list my favorite Madonna albums. I think it's a good sign that she's working with fewer cooks in the kitchen this time. I hope she takes time with this and doesn't rush it so she can go on tour. Unfortunately, I think she's kind of in a place where people will complain no matter what direction she takes with her music these days and she will be (negatively) compared to artists who are half her age, called "old" and "over" and all that crap. This seems to come with every new Madonna era, moreso as the years pass. I think she has an amazing catalog and brings something special to the table no matter who she works with. I'm excited. And I like her IG response.

I'd just like her to WRITE again. She needs an overarching message or concept to keep her focused, too. When Madonna's focused in that regard we really get the best from her. Don't get me wrong, Rebel Heart had a few songs on it that I would consider some of her best in ages and the album as a whole was a step up from MDNA and Hard Candy, but it was still very hodgepodge-y.

Other than a few guilty pleasures here and there, I haven't wholeheartedly enjoyed Madonna since the Music era. American Life and Confessions have quite a few good songs on them, but it definitely felt like a different, less musically-refined Madonna. Then from Hard Candy onward, all hell broke loose and she started to collaborate with the trashy, cookie-cutter producers and writers. It's as if her sole criteria for collaborators is "who's making hits for others these days"? Her choices just don't feel interesting nor inspired anymore. I'll always check out Madonna's latest album, but I know that for my tastes, she's past the point of no return.

Last edited by BrotherNamedErised; 06-10-2018 at 04:51 PM.

I barely ever listen to Hard Candy so I could totally do without that whole album...I hate 4 Minutes and even more so Miles Away (I'm still so bitter that it was included on Celebration over tracks like Deeper & Deeper and Rain). I do like Heartbeat, Give It 2 Me, and Beat Goes On but not enough to justify that whole era.

I have a soft spot for MDNA. I think I'm Addicted and Falling Free are both excellent and Girl Gone Wild is a really fun song to hear out on the dancefloor.

I agree that Rebel Heart is the strongest among those 3 albums but like @Joey said, it was still a hodgepodge. I wish she would just pick one main producer and general direction and nail it. That's what I love so much about Confessions. It's so cohesive....though while we're nitpicking, I would replace Push with Fighting Spirit. it still boggles my mind that she left that one off!

Long-time Lurker
    I want so bad for her to have another good album. For me, it's been a while. I wasn't feeling Hard Candy, MDNA, or Rebel Heart. I think working with a single producer would be a wonderful idea, and would help bring a lot of focus.

Pretty sure Rebel Heart was my album of the year when it was released. I was very happy with it. It did seem to have too many tracks, but I was very pleased with it. The only album that I out-right hate is Hard Candy. I know Madonna has it in her to make another great album.

That’s the word! Focus!

I am so surprised that some don't love Confessions! It is such an amazing album! Since then just a few good songs on each album IMO. I absolutely love Girl Gone Wild and even more so love Ghosttown - classic Madonna.
    Robbing the muse...

Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeEP View Post
    I would replace Push with Fighting Spirit. it still boggles my mind that she left that one off!
    Never heard this - thanks for sharing!

Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    In some ways I think Hard Candy, MDNA, and Rebel Heart -especially Rebel Heart- feel very generic. Like A Prayer, Ray of Light, and American Life are her most singular albums. Add Erotica and Confessions to the bunch and I don't need any other Madonna albums, just a few singles here and there.

Quote Originally Posted by VampireTampon View Post
    Other than a few guilty pleasures here and there, I haven't wholeheartedly enjoyed Madonna since the Music era. American Life and Confessions have quite a few good songs on them, but it definitely felt like a different, less musically-refined Madonna. Then from Hard Candy onward, all hell broke loose and she started to collaborate with the trashy, cookie-cutter producers and writers. It's as if her sole criteria for collaborators is "who's making hits for others these days"? Her choices just don't feel interesting nor inspired anymore. I'll always check out Madonna's latest album, but I know that for my tastes, she's past the point of no return.
    This. I agree 100%.

How amazing would it be if she just did a whole album with Patrick Leonard right now, maybe with one extra producer?

Last edited by BrotherNamedErised; 06-10-2018 at 04:51 PM.