Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New Album 2018

Long-time Lurker
    ^Falling Free really is wonderful.

I echo the love for "Falling Free." It's another Joe Henry co-write. He was also responsible for "Don't Tell Me," "Jump," and "Devil Wouldn't Recognize You."

^Extreme Love for all of those tracks.

Living in my own personal Cornwall bubble

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    I listened to Hard Candy again recently and liked it way more than I remembered. But I don't think she has had a truly cohesive, totally strong record since Confessions and I'm ready for one.

I agree with you Menju!

I know I am WAY in the minority ... but I really like Hard Candy. A lot. And I think it's cohesive. As an album, I actually like it more than Confessions. I will often put my music on shuffle in my apartment, and I had my Madonna playlist on shuffle one day. My partner, who likes Madonna but was not well-acquainted with her post-Immaculate Collection work (other than the hits) until he met me, asked about several HC tracks: "Which album was that one from?" He liked them and was surprised when I said, "This is the album most of her fans seem to hate." This prompted me to listen to HC at the gym. It holds up really well for me.

One criticism I do have of the era is that this is where she stopped having visuals and a "look" that tied together the era (Dita, 90's Jean Harlow, Earth mother, futuristic cowgirl, military chick, disco babe), and I miss that. She seemed to be flirting with a boxer motif for HC but didn't really follow through--I think it would have been cool if she did. And MDNA and Rebel Heart didn't really have a unifying look. It's definitely not essential for me to enjoy the albums, but it was a nice part of the Madonna experience.

Long-time Lurker
    Quote Originally Posted by sleeptheclock View Post

One criticism I do have of the era is that this is where she stopped having visuals and a "look" that tied together the era (Dita, 90's Jean Harlow, Earth mother, futuristic cowgirl, military chick, disco babe), and I miss that. She seemed to be flirting with a boxer motif for HC but didn't really follow through--I think it would have been cool if she did. And MDNA and Rebel Heart didn't really have a unifying look. It's definitely not essential for me to enjoy the albums, but it was a nice part of the Madonna experience.
    Yes! A million times this. The look was part of the fun.

Rumor has it that Madonna may be teaming up with Cardi B for the new album. Madge just followed her on Instagram, and Cardi uploaded some vids singing Madonna songs.

Quote Originally Posted by SloppyJane View Post
    Rumor has it that Madonna may be teaming up with Cardi B for the new album. Madge just followed her on Instagram, and Cardi uploaded some vids singing Madonna songs.
    Uhm. I don't know, I kind of want Madonna to stop working with mainstream artists. Sometimes it feels like she's just trying too hard instead of looking for inspiration and taking it easy.
    When he woke up, the dinosaur was still there.

Long-time Lurker
    Yep. I just want her to do her own thing and own it.

Here's an interesting little bomb that Madonna dropped on her manager, Guy Oseary's Ray of Light anniversary Instagram post:

And, of course, the fans and news outlets are having a field day with it.

http://variety.com/2018/music/news/m...st-1202710351/

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...-a8228916.html

http://www.justjared.com/2018/02/25/...writing-camps/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...m-comment.html

Whaaaaa..? I wonder what "songwriting camps" on what songs she's specifically referring to.

She seemed to be totally in control of who she wanted to work with: Diplo, Martin Solveig, Nicki, Orbit, etc.

I cannot imagine Madonna doing something she doesn't want to do.

Long-time Lurker
    Very interesting! I remember reading back during Rebel Heart that she was frustrated about the producers/songrwriters she was working being very scattered with various projects and she seemed to feel like she had very little of their focus, and that slowed down the process. I'd love to see what she could do now with everyone involved with the album having full focus on it. But judging by her Instagram, most of her attention is going to her skin care line, ha.

Great new piece in The Guardian:

Madonna and Grimes lay bare cost of creative freedom for female artists

https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...artists-labels

"Put it this way: while Madonna is subject to a songwriting crapshoot, Justin Timberlake – an artist of nowhere near her stature – gets to release a 16-track longueur about his weird woodsman fantasies, made with an intimate team. I know which one I’d rather see reined in. Maybe Madonna doesn’t have another Ray of Light in her – but after 36 years in the business, she’s at least earned the right to give it her best shot."