Page 37 of 39 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 LastLast

Thread: New album: Madame X (Released June 14, 2019)

Quote Originally Posted by VampireTampon View Post
    I'm talking about all the times she's singing in English with, for example, a Jamaican accent. It's icky because it reeks of appropriation. And even if it didn't, it just sounds goofy on her.
    well I agree she doesn’t pull off a Jamaican accent, but I don’t believe that’s appropriation(does she do that on 6 songs??). I sing Bob Marley in my car with a Jamaican accent. I’d hate for anyone to try to tell me I can’t enjoy myself doing that, especially being that it’s in celebration. We’re inevitably inspired by what we see and hear.
    Last edited by Adirondak; 06-13-2019 at 12:46 AM.

In regards to the tour:

https://www.billboard.com/articles/b...uun5yqb9OyzF0M

"In life, the only guarantees are death, taxes and the New York Post takedown piece on Madonna," jokes Fogel, who has battled the tabloid over its negative coverage of her tours going back to 2008's Sticky and Sweet Tour. (That tour was described as a flop by the Post and to this day holds the record for highest-grossing tour by a female artist with $408 million in ticket sales.)

^ Proves the point exactly. That is how smear campaigns continue up to linger because she’s a good target.

Last edited by Adirondak; 06-13-2019 at 04:22 AM.

Well, there are like 3 songs I can see myself listening to a year from now. Which is 3 more than Rebel Heart and 2 more than MDNA. So I guess that's something?

Last edited by berke; 06-13-2019 at 01:52 PM. Reason: ..

Quote Originally Posted by dollsbitches View Post
    Well, there are like 3 songs I can see myself listening to a year from now. Which is 3 more than Rebel Heart and 2 more than MDNA. So I guess that's something?
    Which ones?

Could have been a fun record with a life beyond the tour. Pity it's all sung by an autotuned robot. Why did no-one remind X of her normal lively voice?

Gone Andromeda grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Listening for the first time. Some first impressions:

God Control - is she drugged? What is going on with her voice in the beginning? She sounds like she's slurring to the point of dead. The choir is gorgeous. I like the disco infusion. This song is incredibly weird and I think she was really onto something here, but it didn't quite land.

Batuka - Seeing some of the world music influences here. This song does nothing for me personally.

Killers Who Are Partying - Musically I like this song a lot. Incredibly cool vibe.

Crazy- Meh, this song doesn't do a whole lot for me. It's okay, sort of a typical love ballad but with "quirks".

Come Alive - Opens with the 78th voice Madonna and Madonna's digital avatar have sung with by this point in the album. This and Batuka are my least favorite so far.

Extreme Occident - Something positive about Madame X comes to mind: it sounds and feels quite spontaneous. That's a great change from Rebel Heart, which was so staid and overcooked to me. I like this song. If "occident" means west, I suppose extreme occident means east, hence all the circle references and eastern musical influences.

Faz Gostoso - Can anyone think of another pop album where multiple languages are used for no apparent reason? More world music influences in this one. For all I know the chorus translates to "Sean Penn's schlong was incredible; on Thursday I ate salted cod and drank cold brew coffee for lunch". I will listen to this track again. Not sure if it will have staying power, but I think I like it.

Bitch I'm Loca - Honestly, Madonna IS loca. I think this album pretty much proves it. Goddamn it Maluma, you can put it inside me ALL DAY LONG. This is kinda fun. It should be given a banging remix and become a club staple.

I Don't Search I Find - I am not really finding a reason to listen to this song again.

Looking For Mercy - This would be a better closer than "I Rise", which doesn't do much for me, plus I hate the Parkland references. I like this song.

Digital Booklet - Not too much to get excited about really. Includes several images from the Maluma video.

Overall, I would love for Madonna to try this approach again, which I would describe as loose and experimental and consciously, deliberately odd. Madame X may not be a great album, but I think it indicates something positive about her potential to create something truly special in this vein.

Now that I've heard it, I think it's a great album, but as others have noted there are some flaws. I think it's fairly hookless, and many of the choruses practically just repeat the name of the song over and over. I also am not sure what led to the choice to have a super heavy vocoder effect on every song. The only positive I can find about that is that at least Madonna is able to convey emotion even through the vocoder effect. I love that the songs feel very fluid and formless. I think God Control can stand with her classics, and I can't wait for the video.

I don't know if it's because I'm a casual fan, but I like some of these songs and don't think this album is necessarily worse than her recent output. I haven't really listened to her albums in full for at least a decade cause I can't stomach them. But on this album, I appreciate Dark Ballet, God Control, Future, Crave, Extreme Occident, Faz Gostoso and I Rise so far. That's already more songs than I usually listen to from one of her albums since Confessions.

Okay, it's not a bad album. But it just doesn't appeal to me, sadly.
    post28!

Quote Originally Posted by okyanus View Post
    I don't know if it's because I'm a casual fan, but I like some of these songs and don't think this album is necessarily worse than her recent output. I haven't really listened to her albums in full for at least a decade cause I can't stomach them. But on this album, I appreciate Dark Ballet, God Control, Future, Crave, Extreme Occident, Faz Gostoso and I Rise so far. That's already more songs than I usually listen to from one of her albums since Confessions.
    I don't think it's just because you are a casual fan I hate when people are so condescending when expressing their dislike for something, it makes the people who actually like it almost question themselves. However, this is getting really really good reviews so far both from her fans and music critics. I don't know if it means anything but her metacritic score ( a sort of average point of score gathered by the publications who reviewed the record) this time is a lot higher than her recent efforts, if that gives a clue about the general reception of the album. I'm also puzzled and irritated by some people here who claim ''it is her worst album by far!!!!!'' as if it is an irrefutable fact decided upon by everyone who listened to the record. A couple of pages ago some poster said it's awful, and won't be taken seriously aside from her die-hard fanbase. But that's not how the album is recieved at all

Listening around the album I just feel some of it sounds a little... cheap? For example, Come Alive could be nice if not for the beat which sounds straight out of GarageBand, and all the instruments sounding like the cheapest midi versions of themselves. That’s the vibe a lot of it has for me. I’m not the biggest fan of the vocals on this one either.

Weird, it certainly is. I’ll give it that.

I listened to Dark Ballet through Crazy.

Honestly, every song is either just spoken word or heavily autotuned. Her lyrics continue to be cringeworthy. It sounds like her mouth is wired shut on God Control.

I just need to accept at this point that Madonna is no longer for me. She hasn’t been for years now. I give each album a chance but this is one of the first times I’ve found her totally off-putting rather than simply feeling indifferent.