Page 41 of 44 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast

Thread: New album: Madame X (Released June 14, 2019)

My end is Ciao Bella...why didn’t she put it on? I need it on vinyl

I’m so happy with this album I just got tix to a show in Miami... can’t wait!

burning up the bible BettahDevil's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by littleBluBoy View Post
    My end is Ciao Bella...why didn’t she put it on? I need it on vinyl

Same! Ciao Bella might sneak into my top 5. I'm gutted that I'm probably going to have to miss this tour.

Does anyone know what day the God Control video is out? I'm getting so impatient.

Legend!

Can't wait. I'm obsessed with this song.

Gone Andromeda grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Looks cool. She sure ain't skimping on videos for this album! I've decided I actually like the lyrics for this song.

I think the new album is wonderful! It's a lot to digest, but it feels very alive and brimming with ideas. A few songs that I initially disliked ("Extreme Occident") have grown on me, and it just sounds like a very different Madonna album than we've ever heard before. I liked her previous few releases, but this definitely feels like her most cohesive record since Hard Candy (whether you liked or disliked that album, it definitely sounded cohesive). My initial favorites are "God Control," "I Don't Search I Find," "Come Alive," "Crazy," and "Crave." I think "God Control" is brilliant and "Crave" has been stuck in my head for days--I honestly think that song deserves to be a smash, although that clearly isn't happening. It's got that perfect mix of sweetness and longing that so many great Madonna songs have. "Killers Who Are Partying" is my least favorite--musically it's lovely, but I can't get past those lyrics.

The vocoder throughout the album doesn't bother me, although I wish there were a bit less of it. "I Rise" would be more powerful without the effects on her voice, but for the most part the vocal effects lend a certain vibe to the album that I think works. Still, it's great to hear the raw, urgent vocal we get from her on "Crazy." She sounds great on that song!

I'm also digging the bonus tracks. It's strangely touching to hear Madonna give love to other musical icons that we've lost (including former chart rivals like Whitney), and I the effects on her voice are extreme in a way that feels playful and fun.

I'm happy (and pleasantly surprised) that she hit #1 in the U.S. with this album. It does seem like a lot of people are in a rush to discredit any of her accomplishments these days. We're hearing reports that sales for a tour are terrible … and then that the only reason she did well her first week must have been because of the ticket bundle with the tour … that same theater tour which is supposedly such a flop. It seems like she was #1 by a pretty substantial margin. Given the fact that she is 36 years into her recording career, hasn't had a genuine hit single in 11 years, the general public seems disinterested in her, and the album itself is bonkers, I think that a chart-topping album at this point is a really impressive accomplishment.

New MOJO Magazine interview:

Gone Andromeda grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    ^ Thanks for sharing. That is a really interesting interview! I particularly enjoyed this because I was really curious what the hell was going on:

"At the beginning of the song God Control, there’s this particular kind of contained aggression you muster…
    Yes. I wanted to sing as if someone had wired my jaw shut and l wasn’t allowed to speak but I had to speak and I was coming from a very angry place"

That's a fantastic interview, and I'm so glad it focused so much on the music and her process.

Video out today.

Monet X Change briefly discussed her experience filming the video. Skip to about 15:48.

The Taylor Swift video?

Quote Originally Posted by Alamo View Post
    The Taylor Swift video?
    I guess it’s meant to be implied that she’s talking about Madonna at around 16:30.

Yikes. If he's talking about her, that is not good.
    Living in my own personal Cornwall bubble