Page 36 of 40 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast

Thread: New album: Madame X (Released June 14, 2019)

God Control is the most batshit brilliant thing she's done in a long time. Killers is great if you can get past the lyrics. Crazy is amazing, but sounds nothing like a Madonna song. It could have been for anyone tbh. Faz Gostoso is loads of fun as is I Don't Search I find.

Easily her best since Confessions imo.

It's all a little strange ... both my husband and I tried to get tickets through the pre-sale at BAM, thinking to increase our odds if both of us tried. He was able to, but I got an email saying that there were no more tickets available. But there are apparently a bunch of tickets still available? That's odd. Maybe the more exorbitantly priced tickets are not selling? I imagine that a combo of the prices, the reception to the Eurovision performance, her prickly public persona, her general refusal to focus on her hits on tour, and the lack of any recent hits has probably not helped matters.

In any case, it's a little sad to see her struggling commercially at this stage--she's at a juncture where it would be awfully hard for her to turn things back around for herself. I've mentioned before that I think this album is going to debut at a lower number and with fewer copies sold than her previous releases, and I'm increasingly convinced that that will happen, and we'll get the inevitable glut of "Put a fork in her" articles." She's always been able to bank on healthy debut numbers and massive tours, so this will be a change.

From what I have heard about the album, it does not sound particularly accessible, so I can't image it being a surprise hit. I don't think the general public wants a "weird" Madonna album that is largely produced by the man responsible for one of the most divisive albums in her catalog.

Quote Originally Posted by grapefruit_is_winning View Post
    Well you have all piqued my curiosity, that's for sure! I'll wait for it to be officially released to check out the non-released checks.

In other news, apparently her theater tour is selling pretty badly ... https://pagesix.com/2019/06/11/madon...our-is-a-bust/
    There are reports her tour is selling slowly almost every tour (except Drowned World Tour)

Gone Andromeda grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    In this case they are citing some pretty specific evidence of "selling slowly":

"Nevertheless, all 17 shows at the BAM opera house showed at least 150 seats still available, including opening night on Sept. 12.

After New York, the tour will move to the 3,600-seat Chicago Theatre in October, and then onto gigs including the 4,300-seat Colosseum at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas; the 1,800-seat Wiltern Theatre in Los Angeles and the 3,500-capacity Wang Theatre in Boston.

At several of those dates, nearly half of the tour’s tickets and VIP packages remain unsold — despite lottery sales since Madonna announced on May 6 that her “intimate” gig would take place mostly in 2,000-seat venues."

In this case they are citing some pretty specific evidence of "selling slowly":

"Nevertheless, all 17 shows at the BAM opera house showed at least 150 seats still available, including opening night on Sept. 12.

After New York, the tour will move to the 3,600-seat Chicago Theatre in October, and then onto gigs including the 4,300-seat Colosseum at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas; the 1,800-seat Wiltern Theatre in Los Angeles and the 3,500-capacity Wang Theatre in Boston.

At several of those dates, nearly half of the tour’s tickets and VIP packages remain unsold — despite lottery sales since Madonna announced on May 6 that her “intimate” gig would take place mostly in 2,000-seat venues."
    They cite evidence every tour. I remember the reporting being particularly vicious for MDNA and Rebel Heart tours.

Quote Originally Posted by sleeptheclock View Post
    From what I have heard about the album, it does not sound particularly accessible, so I can't image it being a surprise hit. I don't think the general public wants a "weird" Madonna album that is largely produced by the man responsible for one of the most divisive albums in her catalog.
    It's not that that the album isn't accessible or that it's weird. The problem is that it's horrible and by far her worst so far. The lyrics are so bad, that on their own they ruin most of the songs. A majority of them reinforce things the general audience already hates about her (too much emphasis on ham-fisted political platitudes, too preachy and forced sluttiness). Then you have to contend with poor vocals, a general lack of singing and an overabundance of autotune that doesn't work. Worst of all, you've got cheap-sounding songs with uninspired melodies. There's also about 6 of the songs in which Madonna is putting on an accent/affectation that feels a bit icky. With so many problems, there's just no way this will appeal to anyone but her most loyal, hardcore fans. Luckily for Madonna, it seems like she doesn't care about commercial success right now. My hope is that that attitude will let her be more musically adventurous in the future. If only she'd stick to just 1-2 producers per album...

Gone Andromeda grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Adirondak View Post
    They cite evidence every tour. I remember the reporting being particularly vicious for MDNA and Rebel Heart tours.
    I can't follow your logic here. Are you suggesting that the article I shared is reporting in a manner that is "vicious" toward Madonna? Or that news outlets are making up these claims to discredit her, or ...something else? What makes it vicious from your perspective?

Bloop Bloop! Lord Rask of Trevdale's Avatar
    Just a few thoughts after my first listen. I'm tired, so I apologize for the choppiness.

First things first, I was wrong.

I've been listening to every released song, every leak, and up until I had the full tracklisting to listen to, I was sure this was going to be her worst album.

It's definitely not her best album, and the lyrics are bad, bordering on ridiculous at times. The singles were so simple and boring, I really mistook the tone of the album. I listened to the whole thing on earbuds on a long train ride home, and I was floored by how much I like the whole thing put together.

There's something about the complexity of the Mirwais songs that makes the more straight-forward pop songs seem welcome amidst the chaos.

I cannot describe how much I love "I Don't Search, I Find." They managed to combine a futuristic beat over classic Vogue-style house beats. It's perfect, and exactly what I'd want from Madonna in 2019.

The cringeworthy lyrics that had been reviewed from "Killers Who Are Partying" seem less so with the production. I was all set to hate it, and it won me over.

"Crazy" reminds me of a Lauryn Hill song, and I don't mind that one bit.

The Maluma songs don't fit the album at all, and could easily be excised.

"Looking For Mercy" is gorgeous, and very unexpected during the sequencing.

It really does seem like a natural follow-up to American Life, which I loved.

What I don´t understand is why there´s so much autotune.
    Last edited by datura1452; 06-12-2019 at 09:21 AM.

I can't follow your logic here. Are you suggesting that the article I shared is reporting in a manner that is "vicious" toward Madonna? Or that news outlets are making up these claims to discredit her, or ...something else? What makes it vicious from your perspective?
    I roll my eyes at anything coming from the NY Post, Radaronline, and the other tabloids, as they historically always spin their own negative vibe on her. Her last two tours propelled her as one of the highest grossing tours of the year with her shows almost always sold out. And there were articles then about how “shocking” it was she didn’t sell out immediately, deeming her career over. Considering she’s not a young hot pop star and has saturated the touring market over the last 20 years I’d say she did well.

I can see why on this tour she’s not immediately selling out because the prices are even worse then before (they’re downright insulting for a limited capacity audience). The boxscore numbers will probably tell a different story as people buy more tickets nearing the show.

No I said the articles were vicious during the MDNA and Rebel Heart tours, meaning they were unrelenting with releasing piece after piece about how they weren’t selling out. I think there’s unsold tickets in a couple of places (mainly the ultra expensive ones) and that when all is said and done she’ll do just fine. I think it’s more of a smear piece. This is a paper that constantly trashes Madonna.
    Last edited by Adirondak; 06-12-2019 at 03:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by VampireTampon View Post
    There's also about 6 of the songs in which Madonna is putting on an accent/affectation that feels a bit icky.
    You want her to sing a Spanish song with an American affectation? She's been doing that singing in other languages with an accent since La Isla Bonita. Why does that feel icky to you?
    Last edited by Adirondak; 06-12-2019 at 04:37 PM.

burning up the bible BettahDevil's Avatar
    I can't believe there hasn't been a CD or digital rip out there yet! That's pretty cool though. I do want to listen, but I can't handle the record cracks and hisses. Can't wait!

Bloop Bloop! Lord Rask of Trevdale's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BettahDevil View Post
    I do want to listen, but I can't handle the record cracks and hisses. Can't wait!
    I have a feeling I'm going to miss them on the digital version. Especially on Crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Adirondak View Post
    You want her to sing a Spanish song with an American affectation? She's been doing that singing in other languages with an accent since La Isla Bonita. Why does that feel icky to you?
    I'm talking about all the times she's singing in English with, for example, a Jamaican accent. It's icky because it reeks of appropriation. And even if it didn't, it just sounds goofy on her.