Page 28 of 39 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Thread: New album: Madame X (Released June 14, 2019)

Quote Originally Posted by aviv amos View Post
    This area is where I think I'm moving on.

I've been a huge fan for 20 years, but this is not working any more.
    None of the four new songs have a place in her top 50 best songs. Crave is fine, but nothing more than that.
    The lyrics are the worst in her career and it feels like musically she's shooting all over the place, trying to see what will stick.

I have little to no excitement listening to her new album, and I could only imagine what the casual fan is listening.

She's too far gone with her obsession with her image to take a step back and relearn what makes a good pop song.
    Artist with half her knowledge are killing it, and she's releasing songs that feels like fillers.

We had a good run she and I, but the end is clearly in sight.
    Yeah, I'm sorry to say that's how I'm feeling too. I did admire her bravery last night, even if the political statement she made wasn't exactly profound. But, as vital and irreplaceable as she is, I think she's doing herself a huge disservice with much of her recent work and conduct. I respect and admire Madonna tremendously but I don't want to stick around and watch her set fire to her legacy like this.

Do we think that the reason she sounds off key is because she’s still trying to sing this song like she did in 1989?

I thought the performance of Future was fantastic. Loved the choreography. So many people seem to be hating this era, but I think it's been great so far.

That performance was definitely rough. Future is my least favorite of the 4 to be released so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaviinj View Post
    Do we think that the reason she sounds off key is because she’s still trying to sing this song like she did in 1989?
    But she sang it beautifully at the Met Gala only a year ago in that key. I do wish she would keep her vocal training going however. When she gets it right, she really nails it.

Some 15 minutes before her performance she had a short interview section on the show.
    She sounded quite nervous and out of breath to me there, with weird timing - so whatever was going on later during the performance felt like an overall problem to me she had that night.

Anyway, in that intervew section she said that everyone of the performers were already winners, no matter how the voting would turn out.
    Because they had had to work hard to get to that place. I really liked that comment - I am not a particular Madonna fan but I always admired her work ethics, her strive and willpower.

I'm a longtime fan and admirer of her past and current work, and I have to say that it sucks to be a fan of present-day Madonna lol. I have not liked or agreed with everything she has done, but it does make me sad to see that the general public by and large doesn't just seem to be disinterested and "over" her--but, rather, that she is actively disliked.There's been mounting negativity around every Madonna release since 2003, with the exception of Confessions, and it has just grown more intense with each album. Several of those albums performed well or at least had high chart debuts, which seemed to be enough to keep the wolves at bay. I don't think that will be the case anymore. My sense is that this album will be a real breaking point for her career. I fully expect it to bomb. I think there's an assumption that whatever new album she releases will at least debut highly before it quickly tumbles down the charts, but I'm anticipating a low debut (#1 is out of the question given that Springsteen is releasing an album the same day, but I'm betting that she stands a good chance of missing the top 5 altogether). Given how much widespread dislike there seems to be for her among the general public AND within the industry (is there a major pop artist that has had so many other musicians diss them?), I'm sure there will be a lot of ink about it. Obviously, Madonna's attitude and her narcissism don't help matters--she's never been sweet, cuddly, or endearing in a way that makes people root for an artist's comeback, and her age works against a major commercial comeback ever really happening at this point.

I think that musically this has actually been a pretty strong era so far--I really like "Medellin" and think it is her best lead single since "Hung up." I LOVE "Crave." "Future" has grown on me. The only one I'm not digging so far is "I Rise," which is just so-so to me and is weak by album-closer standards. I don't think I'm wearing rose-colored glasses, and there are things I'd like to be different. Specifically, I'd like less Autotune. Otherwise, though, I appreciate that some of these songs sound like new directions for her. This many albums in, I think that's pretty cool.

As for Eurovision--I definitely thought her vocals were off last night, and she seemed nervous and tentative, but it wasn't far off from other spotty vocal performances she's given in the past. She's had good recent vocal performances, though, so I don't think she suddenly is unable to sing. Calls that this performance should end her career seem a little cruel, and, frankly, she's sounded worse before, the nadir for me being ROL at the VMAs in 1998. If social media was around at the time, those moments would probably have been more damaging to her than they were. In any case, the Eurovision performance will most definitely not help promote her new album, and it's definitely contributing to a narrative that she's lost it, she's over, etc. If she launches a larger-scale tour for this album (which I don't think she should), this performance and the lack of any recent hits will hurt ticket sales for that, obviously.

I know that the narrative that most people keep insisting on is that she's desperately chasing hits, and she certainly could be to an extent, but I don't totally buy that. If she was chasing hits, she would clearly have released Confessions 2.0 by now. She could very well be surrounded by yes-men, but I'm sure she's seen the numbers and is aware that her album sales and tour attendance have declined. And I'm sure that those yes-men want her to make more money so that they can make more money! Hell, she is launching a small theater tour rather than her usual large venues--she obviously knows that interest in dwindling. If she was chasing hits, the last thing she would do was collaborate with Mirwais for a healthy chunk of her new album, given that American Life was, at the time of its release, her critical and commercial low point. My sense is that she probably really likes what she's doing right now, even if the majority of her fan base and the general public don't seem to.

Generalization: People who listen to Madonna don't like her current music, and people who listen to current music don't like Madonna. Therein lies the problem.

I know we're all used to the Madonna who wears grills, features rappers, gets booty implants (I know...), etc., but for people that aren't, it's incredibly jarring to see. Imagine if Cher came out like that. It almost comes off as parody.

And it's such a clear reflection of Millennial culture. I mean, if Millennials all wore orange cones on their heads, I feel like Madonna would have one on too. Regardless of if it's genuine or not, it's absolutely does not come off that way.

I also think she's trapped in this whole, "People tell me I shouldn't do what I'm doing, so I'm going to do it MORE" cycle. It feels rebellious to her.
    Living in my own personal Cornwall bubble

Here it is on her official YouTube. Her vocals have been significantly fixed.

The bit of “Dark Ballet” in the middle intrigues me.

Quote Originally Posted by sleeptheclock View Post
    There's been mounting negativity around every Madonna release since 2003, with the exception of Confessions, and it has just grown more intense with each album. Several of those albums performed well or at least had high chart debuts, which seemed to be enough to keep the wolves at bay. I don't think that will be the case anymore.
    There’s been mounting negativity around every Madonna release, period. The mainstream public has always given her shit. They’ve literally been calling her “granny” and saying she’s irrelevant and should stop since she was in her 30s. I’ll never forget this completely sexist, ageist bullshit headline from 1993.

So the way I look at it is if Madonna listened to what the mainstream public said she’d never have had the career she’s had. As she said in Like It or Not, take it or leave it. She’s not going to stop being the artist she wants to be.
    Last edited by MikeEP; 05-20-2019 at 04:00 AM.

I will buy Madame X, the album. I probably won’t see her tour this time but not because of the Eurovision performance.

She’s a great artist, unfortunately a terribly flawed person, but not a bad person in the grand scheme of things. I think the media has been unnecessarily cruel to her.

I’ll never abandon her as a fan, I just won’t support everything she does. Very few musicians like her will ever surprise me like she does.
    Last edited by bongohead; 05-20-2019 at 12:57 AM.

For all the crap she gets she probably has one of the most solid discographies of any artist ever. There are very few missteps — and even her worst albums have gems that I would never want to live without. That’s a pretty impressive feat.

Quote Originally Posted by SloppyJane View Post
    Generalization: People who listen to Madonna don't like her current music, and people who listen to current music don't like Madonna. Therein lies the problem.

I also think she's trapped in this whole, "People tell me I shouldn't do what I'm doing, so I'm going to do it MORE" cycle. It feels rebellious to her.
    Both of these things: yes!
    post28!

Quote Originally Posted by Joey View Post
    Here it is on her official YouTube. Her vocals have been significantly fixed.
    Holy crap!! It even sounds like they replaced it completely!
    I don't know what to think about that...
    post28!