Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: The Entertainment Industry's BS Machine Pt 2: Perverts and Bigots Boogaloo

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    There was a rape allegation against NDGT that came up but then I heard nothing more. Like Matthew Weiner. One story, then silence. Not that I don't believe women based on a single claim, but when you don't hear more you don't know if it was a credible accusation, like that smear job against Mueller and the day the fake incident took place he was on jury duty. But now there's more

Neil deGrasse Tyson Is Under Investigation for Sexual Misconduct

Deadline reports that the celebrity astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson is under investigation by Fox and National Geographic for sexual misconduct. The investigation results from a report by journalist David McAfee in which two women allege inappropriate interactions with Tyson. Dr. Katelyn N. Allers, who is an Associate Professor of Physics and Astronomy at Bucknell University, claims that Tyson allegedly groped her at an American Astronomical Society after-party in 2009. His former assistant, Ashley Watson, described a night where Tyson allegedly pressured her to join him at his apartment for wine, where she claims he then made several advances. Watson says she quit her job over the incident. These two allegations come a year after musician Tchiya Amet first accused Tyson of raping her when they were grad students.

^ I think the story originated in Vanity Fair? I looked around and the only other news page that I had heard of that was carrying it was the SF Chron, and they covered it in two short paragraphs. I don't disbelieve any of the accusers either, but nobody seems to have much info about it.

Tyson has responded. I think you should just read it all.

On Being Accused

a succulent Chinese meal lacuna's Avatar
    Just so we get all the info, here’s the article that gives more details from the accusers. It’s pretty uncomfortable and inappropriate behavior.

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/nosacr...al-misconduct/

And more on NDGT. The most damning thing to me is that there is corroboration (like Dr Ford with kavanaugh) that the women told people at the time. And it seems there was some "keep an eye on him around students" behavior from his colleagues. Ugh.

Nobody Believed Neil deGrasse Tyson's First Accuser. Now There Are Three More.

I'm trying to figure out whose outing as a creeper/more has disappointed me most. Cosby's probably the sickest fuck... or maybe tied with that Epstein guy. That's for sheer grossness and quantity for both of them, but I wasn't a fan of them, so their downfalls wasn't like a gut punch. NDGT is very sad because I looked up to him a lot. I watched his shows, read his books, followed him online. But I'm not ANGRY at him like I get when I see Mel Gibson ("just" a racist, anti-semitic wife-beater, not a rapist as far as I know).

Why did he think this was a good idea? Anyone? Bueller?

a succulent Chinese meal lacuna's Avatar
    Because he’s a narcissistic asshole.

I can’t bear to watch it. I read a transcript somewhere else and it is awful. Commenters have said it is like he talking directly to his accusers.

That's exactly how it seems to me.

Gone Andromeda grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    God, so gross. So utterly freaking tone deaf. This video can only be the brain child of a person in serious free fall.

He still can't do a Southern accent. I honestly don't know why he's considered an acting "legend". That was like a community college acting class monologue.

Quote Originally Posted by plastic•husband View Post
    He still can't do a Southern accent. I honestly don't know why he's considered an acting "legend". That was like a community college acting class monologue.
    Yes. Everything else aside, he's never been a particularly interesting actor.

Not really a celebrity per se, but someone we've all heard of

Biology Lab Strips James Watson of All Honorary Titles After 'Reprehensible' Race Remarks

Watson has long expressed questionable views, including a 1997 interview in which he expressed unreserved support for abortion rights—something that might have been relatively uncontroversial had he not specifically mentioned fetuses determined to have hypothetical genes leading to homosexuality, dyslexia, or a lack of musical or sports talent as valid reasons to terminate a pregnancy. But it’s his remarks on race that have drawn the most scorn, such as a 2007 interview with a British journalist in which Watson said he is “inherently gloomy about the prospect of Africa” due to (debunked) research allegedly showing racial gaps in intelligence, per the New York Times. In that interview, he also said he wished racial equality was real but “people who have to deal with black employees find this not true.” Watson apologized, though the incident ended in his semi-forced retirement as chancellor of the laboratory and later, his decision to sell his Nobel Prize.

In that interview, Watson said that his views had not changed and he had not “seen any knowledge” negating his belief that there is a genetic connection between race and intelligence, the Times wrote. He also said he took no joy in “the difference between blacks and whites” and that “It’s awful, just like it’s awful for schizophrenics.”

So.

Ryan Adams?

More later.
    At my core, I think we're gonna be OK.

Barack Hussein Obama

worth a million in prizes .chris's Avatar
    Three or four times I've started typing a response to this and each time I just delete it and cancel. It is hard to put into words. I really enjoyed his music. I kind of always figured he was an asshole. I thought maybe once he got sober he changed. Clearly he is as fucked up as ever. Just the way he has been behaving the past couple weeks on twitter demonstrates that he is a complete douchebag with no regard for anyone else: saying fucked up shit about Mandy Moore and not taking any of these allegations seriously and his bullshit "apology". What is most infuriating to me is the sensitive, artist, almost child-like persona he put on while in reality he is this psycho predator. Ever since the NY Times story came out there have been tons of accounts from other musicians of his terrible behavior. Now the FBI is investigating him and his 3 albums to be released this year are cancelled. I hope he gets what he deserves. I cannot listen to him anymore. I'm considering dumping his records. I'm actually a little angry at myself for not realizing sooner that he was such a fake.