Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: The Entertainment Industry's BS Machine Pt 2: Perverts and Bigots Boogaloo

worth a million in prizes .chris's Avatar
    I wish a judge would convict him already.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea View Post
    https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b055fd7fcebc19

R. Kelly suggests that the #timesup campaign against him is in the tradition of black men being lynched for posing an unfounded sexual threat. The statement seems to be using the Cosby judgment critique that their race makes it easier to go after them.
    About 20 years ago, sometime in the mid 90s, R. Kelly made a stop at my friend's university. He used the gym there if I remember correctly. She said he was harassing the girls and picking out girls for later... I don't remember all the details as it was so long ago. But damn, this guy has had a bad reputation for years. I remember when the peeing bit was made public, I wasn't surprised based on what my friend had told me.

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    About 20 years ago, sometime in the mid 90s, R. Kelly made a stop at my friend's university. He used the gym there if I remember correctly. She said he was harassing the girls and picking out girls for later... I don't remember all the details as it was so long ago. But damn, this guy has had a bad reputation for years. I remember when the peeing bit was made public, I wasn't surprised based on what my friend had told me.
    I mean...there was also that time when he married Aliyah when she was like 15 years old.

And in the evening it's. . . Andrea's Avatar
    ^ I totally forgot about that!

Quote Originally Posted by Charles View Post
    I mean...there was also that time when he married Aliyah when she was like 15 years old.
    Man! So much to keep in mind!
    A Timeline of R. Kelly's Bizarre Sex Scandals: From Marrying a Teenager to Starting a 'Cult
    Last edited by entropy; 05-01-2018 at 08:01 PM.

Yeah, #TimesUp has started a full court press on R. Kelly. They’re focusing on streaming outlets, his record company, and Ticketmaster. Many of the #TimesUp women have tweeted the name of this campaign, #MuteRKelly. Case in point:

Jessica is quite outspoken.
    At my core, I think we're gonna be OK.

Barack Hussein Obama

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea View Post
    https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b055fd7fcebc19The statement seems to be using the Cosby judgment critique that their race makes it easier to go after them.
    I think this last bit is true. It doesn't absolve sexual predators of responsibility for their behavior, though, no matter how R. Kelly tries to spin it. What needs to happen is for Weinstein et. al. to be held accountable for their actions to the same degree. Ashley Judd is suing Weinstein for derailing her career, so maybe that'll open some more flood gates.

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    I'm on Ashley Judd's side in that I'm sure that Harvey made her life fucking miserable, but at the same time, she is a terrrrrrrrrrible actress and does she really think she would have been Galadriel? Arwen? Eowyn? Please. So yeah, she probably was kept from all kinds of roles, but let's be a little bit more realistic about the kinds of roles she was kept away from that she would have been cast in without interference. Lifetime-esque movies, not literal best picture oscar winners.

As far as R Kelly and Cosby, yeah it sucks that if two black men get in more trouble than all the white men, but we shouldn't let them off the hook because of that. We can't let the dozens of black women they hurt count less. Maybe we could look at it as justice for their black women victims. Plus fuck all the white guys too. They can go to jail and be muted. Those two just don't get a pass because some pervs want to play on my potential white guilt.

This fucking story is going to get a lot uglier than both R Kelly and Cosby (and it's graphic enough to be careful reading it)

Viacom Accused of Covering Up Alleged Brad Grey Rape in $100M Lawsuit

A man who says he's the great-grandson of Three Stooges star Moe Howard has brought a shocking lawsuit that accuses late Paramount chief Brad Grey of raping him. The complaint details extraordinary contact with high-level executives in the entertainment industry, alleges that a nondisclosure agreement was achieved through trickery and demands $100 million in damages. It was filed on Tuesday in New York.

After this alleged incident, Carrington says he was contacted by human resources from Viacom and asked to sign a non-disclosure agreement. Carrington was promised that if he signed, he would receive an envelope filled with money, according to the lawsuit. Carrington says he refused and he was not allowed back on the Paramount lot.

"However, what Mr. Carrington was unaware of at the time, was that his refusal to sign the NDA not only resulted in being blacklisted from Viacom, but extended throughout the entertainment industry," states the complaint.

A spokesperson for Viacom responded: "We take allegations of this sort seriously, and are reviewing the complaint." Bob Daly, a longtime friend of Grey's and former chairman of Warner Bros., says the suit "is so far past the pale of anything I have heard. This seems absurd. That's all I can say."

Grey, a longtime Hollywood talent manager before taking the reins of Paramount in 2005, ran the storied studio until he was ousted in February 2017. He died three months later of cancer at age 59.
    Viacom and CBS are merging or one is buying the other. Charlie Rose's allegations came out today to have dated back to 1976. How many people here were born after 1976? That this has been going on longer than you've been alive? And the Dan Snyder stuff has mostly been still just whispers and blind items. They're blaming this whole fiasco on Brad Grey instead of their toxic culture (and ignoring the other guy who blackmailed this Carrington guy into fucking him). Maybe CBS and its associates are pulling ahead of NBC as the most toxic network this week...

Barack Hussein Obama

trapped in the worst timeline just owls's Avatar
    I am seeing way too many, "Yes, but…Democrat!" and "timing" and "this is a plot by Russia/the GOP" comments about this and I wish I was a fire-breathing dragon.

And all the righties talking about abusers all being Democrats. Anyone who drags partisan politics into these stories needs to have a cartoon anvil dropped on their fool heads. Of, the dragon. The dragon would work too.

Barack Hussein Obama

Quote Originally Posted by Steve SFM View Post
    And all the righties talking about abusers all being Democrats.
    We can't forget hardcore lefties like Roy Moore, Dennis Hastert, and Donald Trump!

The timing does seem suspicious, but then when every day is literally crazier than the day before, there’s no “good” time for news about a liberal/Democrat being a piece of shit to surface. I think people are terrified because Schneiderman was the most likely after Mueller to dismantle the Trump crime family, but they’re forgetting he’s but one man and the investigations and potential indictments will continue regardless of whether or not he’s there.

What I am sick to death of, is the chorus of right wing assholes who (as Steve mentioned) try to pin this on the left. Schneiderman was gone within hours of the news breaking. Franken resigned. The right tried to elect Roy Moore (who only lost by a handful of votes), Greitens refuses to resign, and Trump ignored all his accusers and is still president. It’s not that the left is the only side with toxic male shitbags, but our side is the only one that ever seems to have to be accountable for it.

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar

It reminds me a lot of the House investigations into the Trump Russia Election etc stuff. No evidence when you're not trying to find any, when your goal is to hide the truth for both past-event coverups and ongoing bullshit.

Netflix's Jeffrey Tambor Conundrum

But even as one door in Hollywood closed for Tambor, one has remained open to him. Later this month, Netflix will premiere the fifth season of Arrested Development, the latest revival of the cult comedy series; Tambor, who plays the patriarch of the dysfunctional family at the show’s center, will be part of the upcoming press tour. “In making and promoting seasons four and five of Arrested Development, Jeffrey has always been totally professional,” Netflix’s chief content officer Ted Sarandos has said of Tambor’s involvement. It’s worth noting the show’s newest season filmed from August to December of 2017, largely before the allegations against Tambor came to light. But after the actor’s firing from Transparent, Netflix’s statements of support for Tambor are beginning to stand out in pointed contrast to Amazon’s decision to let him go.

Because Netflix opted not to cut ties with Tambor, the studio is now left to negotiate the extent of its public endorsement of the actor. It’s a scenario likely to be seen again as companies respond in different (and sometimes opposing) ways to the allegations of the #MeToo movement. What’s tricky about Netflix’s move is that it risks seeming dismissive of the reasons that Amazon fired Tambor. For his part, Tambor is insisting the allegations stemmed from tensions unique to the Transparent workplace. A new Hollywood Reporter profile sees the actor admitting to being “difficult” and “mean” on set. But in the story he attributes the harassment claims to the politicized atmosphere created by his status as a cisgender actor playing a trans character (both of his accusers are trans women).

According to Netflix, Tambor has always been “totally professional” on the Arrested Development set; the implication seems to be that there was thus no compelling or urgent reason to sanction him. Removing Tambor from the show, in which he plays multiple crucial roles, once filming was well underway would’ve been a real challenge. (Transparent will simply write his character out of the story between seasons.) Of course, if Netflix wanted to take serious action, it could have. After all, the company removed Kevin Spacey from his starring role on House of Cards and halted production two episodes into its sixth season; the series later resumed filming with new cast members, and with Spacey’s character written off the show.
    I'm torn. Like... I don't want to support HIM but he's one person in a cast of dozens. Am I part of the problem because I'm rewatching old ones? That I'll watch new ones? Is a supporting character different from a star?

Luc Besson, who was screwing a 15-year-old when he was in his 30s and is surely an upstanding man, has been accused of drugging and raping a woman.