Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: The Entertainment Industry's BS Machine Pt 2: Perverts and Bigots Boogaloo

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    I'm not saying it's ok or "better" somehow to violate your subordinates or coworkers or peers, but your fans? Sure, they don't have to worry about losing their jobs like a subordinate, but on the other hand they have no warning and no HR.

Mario Batali Groped Fans While Posing for Photos, Several Women Allege

In April of last year, Tene said, Batali allegedly groped her at Towne Stove and Spirits, a Boston bar next to the city’s Eataly. She claims that Batali, who seemed intoxicated, suggested they take selfies together, then rubbed her breasts, grabbed her backside, put his hands between her legs, and kept squeezing her face into his as he kissed her. The resulting photos, which she provided to Eater, were “shockingly uncomfortable,” she said. A friend who was there with her said he witnessed Batali being “handsy.”

“I was just in total disbelief when he touched me like that; I couldn’t believe it when it was happening,” Tene said. “In the moment it was just so crazy, it was humiliating. The more I thought about it later, the angrier I got. But I thought maybe I was alone, maybe it was an isolated incident. When I saw the news, I had this feeling like, ‘Yes, he’s being exposed as a creep’ — but also sadness and lots of anger that he got away with this behavior for so long.”

The additional incidents shared with Eater did not escalate to the rape allegations currently being investigated by police, but together, they paint a broader picture of the chef’s alleged misconduct, behavior that started at least as early as the mid-’90s and continued until as recently October 2017. Unlike most of the previously reported incidents, many of the new alleged victims who spoke with Eater did not work with Batali; instead, like Tene, they were strangers — fans or people in the restaurant industry who respected or adored him. Each of these women alleges that his inappropriate touching — including rubbing breasts, grabbing behinds, and forced, open mouthed kisses — occurred either at a bar or industry event, and in most cases shortly after, or while, they posed for photos with him. “I’ve just felt sick since the new allegations,” Sara Watson, a former Batali fan who happened to encounter him in a bar in 2016, told Eater. “I was left feeling disgusted, and shocked — but now I see his actions in a different way, as more dangerous.”

Additionally, other alleged victims, who worked for Batali, described new accounts of his behavior, including his reputation in one of his restaurants as a “serial crotch grazer,” a move where he would allegedly caress the back of his hand against a woman’s crotch.
    Pics at the link.

Sigh.

She got a shit ton of backlash and replied "I swear I could tweet something about craving jelly beans and it would offend someone."

Then she said "For all of those coming at me rn, listen to the lyrics of Warrior and maybe you’ll have more compassion for someone who made a simple mistake. Of all people I know about sexual abuse. You don’t have to educate me".

Apparently they do. I mean, the guy Max was ok with it and that is the most important part, but that doesn't seem the kind of thing you should brag about as a public figure. And then act like a martyr when people are like "that's literally hiring someone to commit sexual assault for you." I mean if the story came out in a different way and she said "Yeah, I tried to play a prank and in my youth I didn't think of the implications," that's one thing, but I guess like with Lena Dunham it's only bad when it happens to you, not when it happens because of you or those around you.

Um.

Really?

What a motherfucking stupid thing to do.

That's really kind of astonishingly idiotic. Is there something we can fire her from?
    At my core, I think we're gonna be OK.

Barack Hussein Obama

She deleted the original tweet, which is why it's a screenshot. And some people are saying she hired the sex worker to go in the room, not to touch him and she did that on her own. But I don't know if that's true and it still doesn't change the attitude of "omg it was so funny guys y r u so mean 2 me?"

Emile Hirsch Brutally Assaulted a Female Film Executive. He’s Now Starring in the New Tarantino Film.

On the night of Jan. 25, 2015, Emile Hirsch settled into a VIP booth at Tao, a pop-up nightclub situated at the base of Main Street in the mountains of Park City, Utah. Several hours—and drinks—later, eyewitnesses say that two people had to physically pull the then 29-year-old actor off a female film executive whom he’d choked unconscious.

Minutes later, though, Bernfeld said he returned and jumped her. “He basically grabbed me at the curve of the elbow, choked me up, threw me across the table, and I felt the front of my throat hit the back of my throat,” she told police. One eyewitness said that Hirsch put Bernfeld in a chokehold from behind, dragged her across the table, and body-slammed her to the floor. An unidentified filmmaker-friend of Bernfeld’s claimed that Hirsch was on top of Bernfeld choking her, and it took him and another person to pull him off. “I have seen quite a few fights in my life, but this was pretty violent,” offered the director.

This past week, the news broke that Hirsch had been cast in Quentin Tarantino’s upcoming film Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, a based-on-a-true-story tale set against the backdrop of the 1969 Manson Family murders. The movie is set to star Leonardo DiCaprio, Brad Pitt, Al Pacino, Dakota Fanning, Kurt Russell, and Margot Robbie as the late Sharon Tate.

The addition of Hirsch represents another layer of ugh to one of the more ill-conceived film projects in recent memory.

For starters, it’s the first post-Weinstein film for Tarantino, whose impressive oeuvre not only helped create the Weinstein mythos but also kept his company afloat—this despite the filmmaker knowing that the mogul had attacked his ex-girlfriend, the actress Mira Sorvino. If that weren’t enough, Tarantino has also defended Tate’s husband, Roman Polanski, who raped a 13-year-old girl (“Look… she was down with this”); endangered the life of Uma Thurman during the filming of Kill Bill; creepily propositioned Jane Hamsher, producer of the Tarantino-penned Natural Born Killers; and called on himself to choke Diane Kruger in Inglourious Basterds.

Then there’s the matter of Brad Pitt, who chose to make not one, but two movies with Harvey Weinstein—Tarantino’s Inglourious Basterds and Killing Them Softly—after the film executive had attacked his former partners Gwyneth Paltrow and Angelina Jolie.

So just to recap: Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, a film centered on the gang murder of a pregnant woman, will be directed by and star two men who excused Weinstein’s predatory behavior, and will co-star a man convicted of brutally assaulting a female film executive.

What a total nightmare.

Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    JFC. Gross. I hope it bombs hard. I wish Margot Robbie (who I adore) wasn't touching this with a ten foot pool.

This one is a little different. The man is not named, for example.*

Rose-Colored Glasses: A Confession.

(Trigger warning: If abuse, sexual assault, or anorexia makes you uncomfortable, you might want to avoid this one.)

Our relationship started out poorly. Within 2 weeks, rules were quickly established. Some of these included:

I “should not want to go somewhere at night”. My nights were expected to be reserved for him, as he had a busy schedule. This alienated me from my friends.
    I was to not have close male friends unless we worked together. All photos of male friends were to be removed from my apartment. This was heartbreaking for me, as my best friend happened to be male.
    As he was sober, I was not to drink alcohol. Before we began dating he said, “I noticed you have a glass of wine with dinner. That’s going to stop.”
    I was not to speak in public places (elevators, cars with drivers, restaurants where tables were too close) as he believed that people recognized him and were listening to our conversations. Our dinners out were usually silent, him on his phone.
    I wasn’t allowed to take a photo of us. (Eventually, he softened on this rule, but was very stern about me asking permission.)

How did this happen? At the beginning of our relationship, I was quite ill often due to my diet, something I’ll get to in a bit. One night he initiated, and I said, “I’m so sorry, can we not tonight? I’m feeling really sick.” He responded, “I just want to remind you, the reason my last relationship didn’t work out was because of the lack of sex.” It was a veiled threat. I succumbed.

Every night, I laid there for him, occasionally in tears. He called it “starfishing”. He thought the whole idea was funny. To be fair, I did go along with it out of fear of losing him. I’m still recovering from being sexually used (not in a super fun way) for three years.

When cameras were on us? He was a prince. Turn them off, he was a nightmare.
    While I believe her for the most part, it's also hard for me because while I know there are men that are fucking disgusting users and manipulators and liars etc, for some things I wonder if being an asshole is the same as abuse? Emotional abuse is such a tricky thing. I mean, there are black and white right/wrong examples, but a lot of gray. I am a swear-er, for example. A lot of people find that emotional abusive (although I do try to not swear at a partner when I have one and I'm mad). But does that cross a line or am I just a potty mouth?

I'm not trying to give this guy a pass (based on the other things she mentions that are clearly over the line he doesn't deserve one) but I don't know if I can say that yes everything in the article is abuse? Not that she's not hurting and not that he DIDN'T do terrible things, but not everything is in that abuse category? Or is it more with emotional abuse that it's not any one thing but all things added up? Where is the dickhead/abuser line? If you're abusive and then you do something that is just a dickhead move, does it make it abuse just because? Like I'm not trying to just shrug this off but I genuinely don't know because this kind of emotional abuse is not something I am very good at understanding.

*his identity

a succulent Chinese meal lacuna's Avatar
    Eh, Hardwick’s always come off as douchey to me and I say that as someone who was a fan and listened to his podcast pretty religiously for several years. I don’t anymore, mostly due to being busier in life and souring a bit on nerd culture in general.

I remember when he announced her ectopic pregnancy on his podcast and thinking how fucked up it was because it’s such a personal thing to go through and not really his place to broadcast it. It’s even shittier to me now knowing that she was more afraid of what he would think or say and not the life threatening situation she was experiencing. That’s pretty damning.

I’ve never been through an emotionally abusive relationship either but I have dated some assholes. Those assholes never did things like she describes.

I’m glad she’s better and in a healthy relationship and place in her life. She always seemed very sweet. I remember thinking Chris was dumb to end it with her, little did I know...

There have been a few people who worked with him or people around him posting "Finally!" types of posts. There are some rumors that there are other girlfriends that he did this to, or at least similar. The more that I am reading, the less complicated this gets. Like he got a bit of the benefit of the doubt at first but it's dwindling rapidly for me.

I'm kind of annoyed at people though. They're piling on his friends, yelling at Wil Wheaton, for example, for not saying anything yet. I know it's really hard when it's someone you know. Staying quiet for a few hours while you compose yourself is totally fine. It's a much better strategy than a "I stand by my friend" announcement that destroys your own career and credibility too. Like people might be genuinely hurt and need a bit to process. And while I believe Dykstra, it is a he said/she said situation so it's not as easy to just condemn someone immediately. There's no individual piece of neutral damning evidence out in public. Just give people a chance to think and actually write.

I have a super hard time getting in touch with my own feelings (besides pure anger) and I need a lot of time to process when things happen, so I can imagine other people might too.

eta: Not only are "allies" giving his friends shit less than 12 hours after the story broke, but *his* defenders are predictably disgusting

The ally we truly need, though:

a succulent Chinese meal lacuna's Avatar
    Yeah that doesn’t surprise me.

I think the nerd community will be divided. There are a lot who HATE Chris Hardwick apart from this situation. A lot of his fans bailed when he sold Nerdist and consider him a big sell out who used nerd culture to climb the celebrity ladder. I don’t think that’s necessarily true, but nerds gonna nerd about it. Apparently Chloe’s getting support from reddit of all places. I don’t go there and try to stay far away so I’m not entirely certain. It’s very much hearsay on my end.

This is from an anonymous twitter account, so it hasn't had any vetting, any corroboration. But at the same time, this might be how I would do it if I had a situation like this. I don't really know much about him other than the MMF RAINN performance, but there seems to be two takes on this: his loyal fans can't imagine he'd ever do this and his loyal fans who say yeah, they've heard about it for years.

Deep breath. I have to anonymously tell this story because I tried to tell it from my real account and couldn't name him directly out of fear, so I deleted the tweets. Here goes: I was 17 and he was 36

I went to see A Perfect Circle and NIN in the year 2000 with my high school boyfriend. I will leave out the city in an attempt to protect myself. We were looking forward to this all year as both of us were really huge fans, teenagers obsessed with great music

We were in the front row and my boyfriend had his arms around me. The band started. Maynard noticed me in the crowd. Not that it matters what I wore, but I was wearing a NIN tank top and baggy cargo pants with flat-soled combat boots.

Maynard saw me and threw a water bottle in my direction. The guy next to me caught it. My boyfriend and I laughed and thought that was cool. Minutes later, a heavy-set, blonde, white woman came out to meet us. She looked at me and asked, “Do you want to meet the band?”

I said, “Can my boyfriend come with me?” The heavyset woman said “I only have one pass. You can meet them now if you want.” I told my bf that I’d see him in a few minutes, and then I followed her backstage. She lead me back to the VIP area, and I never saw her again

Maynard was sitting on a picnic table and was staring at me. NIN hadn’t gone on yet so I thought I had plenty of time to get an autograph and get back to the show and my boyfriend. I didn’t have a piece of paper, so I asked Maynard to sign my hand

I was ready to go back with my bf. NIN was starting and I didn’t want to miss it. But Maynard kept chatting. He asked me how old I was. I said, “I’m 17.” Then he said, “I can’t talk to you here, let’s go watch a movie” and he pulled me away from everyone and onto a tour bus.

He lead me to a bed in the back on the bus and closed the door. He put on Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. I decided to watch a few minutes and at least have a weird story to tell my boyfriend later. Yes, 17 year olds can be naïve. This is why older men target teenage girls.

He started rubbing my neck. At this point, I fell silent. He talked about the film, Johnny Depp, and Hunter S. Thompson while he started taking his pants off. All I could do was sit there, looking at the movie, unable to move.

I froze so he had to move my body into a missionary position. He pulled off my cargo pants. He forced himself in- there was no attempt at "warming up". I mention this because this wasn't about sex. This was about raping me as fast as he could.

He penetrated my vagina without a condom, moving rapidly, while I lay there frozen in a stunned silence. If I sound clinical it's because it has been a long time and I have tried to push down any sort of fear or shame that comes with a rape.

There was no consent made. I was not high. I was clean. He did not seduce me, he forced me, quickly taking advantage of my paralyzed state. It took me years to process his actions. He came all over my torso and didn’t wipe me off. There were stains on my tank top when I left.

I don’t remember the next few minutes but I do remember this- my boyfriend was waiting for me at the doorway where I had been lead. His face was sick with worry. I didn’t want to upset him so I kept it to myself.

I’m sure to some this doesn’t sound like rape. I’m telling this story because in the year 2000 the conversation about consent was non-existent, at least not at my high school. Statutory rape in this state is 16 and under. Lucky for him he beat it by 1 year.

It has been 18 years and I’m still working through the trauma of that assault. #MeToo and #TimesUp has been an eye opener. I hope that everyone gets a chance to heal. I hope I can heal. Maybe telling your story is part of the healing process for victims of sexual assault.

I kept it in for years because I knew I wasn't going to be believed by he legion of dedicated fans. Because he chose to not use a condom when he raped me, he also gave me a strain of HPV, which thankfully was not the cancerous type.

Later on, I heard from a male friend that he did this in every city, at every show. He preferred underage girls (or as close to underage as he could get). What happened to me has likely happened to a lot of underage girls by this same man.

A warning to Maynard James Keenan and all men: *leave underage girls alone.* Do not take advantage of a girl's kindness and trust. She deserves to keep her self-confidence and happiness forever

I've carried a sense of deep shame from this assault for many years. I thought it was my fault. How could I let him do this to me? But he was 36. I was 17. He knew exactly what he was getting away with. What could I have done differently? My body was paralyzed.

Now that I am approaching the age that Maynard James Keenan was when he assaulted me, the thought of assaulting a 17 year old is completely unthinkable. Just *unthinkable*. We have to train men to think rape is as unthinkable as cannibalism

I'm in between, a Tool fan who has never heard such allegations but totally believes them. Absolutely indefensible. How can someone be such close friends with Tori and then go off and rape dozens of teenage girls? I've always put his kind of unpleasant character down to his past training in the Marine Corps. Serial rapist fits better though.

A short while ago, when Jessicka Addams spoke out about Jeordie White, I read a few comments online from people saying they figured MJK wouldn't be far behind, including a horrible ('though second hand) anal rape story. I'm actually more surprised it's taken this long to hear any more about it.

DEEKWARE INDYPENDANTS!!! halo eighteen's Avatar
    These kinds of accounts are only going to become more and more and more and more prevalent. Surely we're all old enough to remember groupie/rockstar culture? I'm not excusing this - I hope Maynard has some way to address this maturely and succinctly given his ties to RAINN - but this is typical Rock Star 101 behavior that the vast majority of 80s/90s bands did. I always thought this was gross, but I also thought it was typically among consenting adults. Presumably it was done with naive underage girls more often than not. It's upsetting but it's not really at all surprising. And I mean at all.

Didn't Trent Reznor do really degrading shit to groupies to amuse himself and his friends? Eating cheerios out of a dog bowl on all fours, coffee enemas or something. Ogre from Skinny Puppy stopped being friends with him over that, iirc.