Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: The Entertainment Industry's BS Machine Pt 2: Perverts and Bigots Boogaloo

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    'Designing Women' Creator Goes Public With Les Moonves War: Not All Harassment Is Sexual

During that period, because my contract was so valuable, I continued trying to win over Moonves. And he continued turning down every pilot I wrote. Often, if he would catch me in the parking lot, he would make sure to tell me that my script was one of the best he’d read but that he had decided, in the end, not to do it. It always seemed that he enjoyed telling me this. Just enough to keep me in the game. I was told he refused to give my scripts to any of the stars he had under contract. Then, I began to hear from female CBS employees about his mercurial, misogynist behavior, with actresses being ushered in and out of his office. His mantra, I was told, was, “Why would I wanna cast ’em if I don’t wanna fuck ’em?” And he was an angry bully who enjoyed telling people, “I will tear off the top of your head and piss on your brain!”

Somewhere in the middle of all this, I was walking the halls one day in the original CBS building. In spite of no longer having gainful employment, I still felt proud that I had been allowed to make a creative contribution to the network I had grown up with — starting with Lucy and Ethel, who had electrified me and inspired me to write comedy. I never dreamed that I would become the first woman, along with my then-writing partner, Mary Kay Place, to write for M*A*S*H. I took pride in being part of a network that always seemed to be rife with crazy, interesting, brash women, from Mary Tyler Moore and Rhoda, to Maude, to Murphy Brown, to the Designing Women. Many of these female characters paved the way for women to be single, to pursue careers and equal pay and to lead rich, romantic lives with reproductive rights.

As I walked, I noticed that the portraits of all these iconic women were no longer adorning the walls. I don’t know why and I didn’t ask. I just know that the likes of them have rarely been seen on that network again. Thanks to Les Moonves, I can only guess they all became vaginal swabs in crime labs on CSI Amarillo.
    That is such a great point. It's such a weird network. I will go years not watching a show on CBS. Most of the stuff they air has no appeal to me in the least, but I used to watch so much. I never gave much though to WHY.

It sucks but maybe the only way rampant harassment can be fixed from the top down is by boards recognizing these assholes aren't just lawsuit liabilities, but are diminishing their products by focusing on one kind of audience. I mean, they should care because he's a gross horrible human being, but in the 100 years of Hollywood, they've never cared about that so why start now? But financial consequences...

Seriously, I think I've watched like one CBS show since Murphy Brown went off the air. It's clear that people like me weren't wanted as an audience, which is fucking ridiculous from a big three network and not a niche cable channel.

eta: as soon as I posted this I saw a comment from Jon Lovett about the news departments

Then you think of Moonves, Lauer, Rose, Halperin, Fager and others all in positions of power during 2016 - all carrying this dark connection with Trump’s treatment of women, and all covering the first woman nominated by either party.
    I know a lot of middle aged white cis het bros just roll their eyes about shit like this, but it's important and insidious.
    Last edited by Regina Phalange; 09-12-2018 at 04:04 PM.

New lawsuit alleges Larry Nassar drugged, raped and impregnated teen at Michigan State
    The suit claims that the teen's rape was videotaped and that a coach who reported it was told to resign.

After the miscarriage she went to university police, who advised her that this was a matter for MSU's athletics department.

"Plaintiff Erika explained that the athletic department already dismissed it and the Sergeant responded that [former athletic director] George Perles is a 'powerful man,' and she should just drop it."

"Thereafter," the suit claims, "Plaintiff Erika's Field Hockey NCAA scholarship was taken away from her."
    It's not good for my long-term health to be blind with rage all the time, is it?

Look, it's got to be hard to be the wife of one of these creepers. Especially if you didn't know, like truly didn't know. But there's keeping your mouth shut publicly and then there's this.

If Farrow is involved, I don't think there's much room for doubt. This is a bit of a head-scratcher.
    At my core, I think we're gonna be OK.

Barack Hussein Obama

@AsiaArgento

Dear @RoseMcGowan. It is with genuine regret that I am giving you 24 hours to retract and apologise for the horrendous lies made against me in your statement of August 27th. If you fail to address this libel I will have no option other than to take immediate legal action
    I guess Rose has said Asia admitted the assault she allegedly committed to Rose and it got "leaked" or something. Also, the boy Asia allegedly assaulted allegedly assaulted a young woman/girl himself.

There are no heroes in this story. Oh boy.

Oh, and Mark Burnett and Tom Arnold came to blows last night. Supposedly Burnett attacked Tom and Burnett's wife is all "omg I am hurt" but her bruises are old and Tom claims there's video and it's also another situation where it's a giant mess.