Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: The Entertainment Industry's BS Machine Pt 2: Perverts and Bigots Boogaloo

At my core, I think we're gonna be OK.

Barack Hussein Obama

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    Not really entertainment directly, but I thought this would go fine with the other pervs

How a future Trump Cabinet member gave a serial sex abuser the deal of a lifetime

...Jeffrey Epstein, 54, was accused of assembling a large, cult-like network of underage girls — with the help of young female recruiters — to coerce into having sex acts behind the walls of his opulent waterfront mansion as often as three times a day, the Town of Palm Beach police found.

The eccentric hedge fund manager, whose friends included former President Bill Clinton, Donald Trump and Prince Andrew, was also suspected of trafficking minor girls, often from overseas, for sex parties at his other homes in Manhattan, New Mexico and the Caribbean, FBI and court records show.

Facing a 53-page federal indictment, Epstein could have ended up in federal prison for the rest of his life.

But on the morning of the breakfast meeting, a deal was struck — an extraordinary plea agreement that would conceal the full extent of Epstein’s crimes and the number of people involved.

Not only would Epstein serve just 13 months in the county jail, but the deal — called a non-prosecution agreement — essentially shut down an ongoing FBI probe into whether there were more victims and other powerful people who took part in Epstein’s sex crimes, according to a Miami Herald examination of thousands of emails, court documents and FBI records.

The pact required Epstein to plead guilty to two prostitution charges in state court. Epstein and four of his accomplices named in the agreement received immunity from all federal criminal charges. But even more unusual, the deal included wording that granted immunity to “any potential co-conspirators’’ who were also involved in Epstein’s crimes. These accomplices or participants were not identified in the agreement, leaving it open to interpretation whether it possibly referred to other influential people who were having sex with underage girls at Epstein’s various homes or on his plane.

As part of the arrangement, Acosta agreed, despite a federal law to the contrary, that the deal would be kept from the victims. As a result, the non-prosecution agreement was sealed until after it was approved by the judge, thereby averting any chance that the girls — or anyone else — might show up in court and try to derail it.

This is the story of how Epstein, bolstered by unlimited funds and represented by a powerhouse legal team, was able to manipulate the criminal justice system, and how his accusers, still traumatized by their pasts, believe they were betrayed by the very prosecutors who pledged to protect them.

It would be easy to dismiss the Epstein case as another example of how there are two systems of justice in America, one for the rich and one for the poor. But a thorough analysis of the case tells a far more troubling story.

A close look at the trove of letters and emails contained in court records provides a window into the plea negotiations, revealing an unusual level of collaboration between federal prosecutors and Epstein’s legal team that even government lawyers, in recent court documents, admitted was unorthodox.

Acosta, in 2011, would explain that he was unduly pressured by Epstein’s heavy-hitting lawyers — Lefkowitz, Harvard professor Alan Dershowitz, Jack Goldberger, Roy Black, former U.S. Attorney Guy Lewis, Gerald Lefcourt, and Kenneth Starr, the former Whitewater special prosecutor who investigated Bill Clinton’s sexual liaisons with Monica Lewinsky.

Unlike other convicted sex offenders, Epstein didn’t face the kind of rough justice that child sex offenders do in Florida state prisons. Instead of being sent to state prison, Epstein was housed in a private wing of the Palm Beach County jail. And rather than having him sit in a cell most of the day, the Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office allowed Epstein work release privileges, which enabled him to leave the jail six days a week, for 12 hours a day, to go to a comfortable office that Epstein had set up in West Palm Beach. This was granted despite explicit sheriff’s department rules stating that sex offenders don’t qualify for work release.

Upon his nomination by Trump as labor secretary in 2017, Acosta was questioned about the Epstein case during a Senate confirmation hearing.

“At the end of the day, based on the evidence, professionals within a prosecutor’s office decided that a plea that guarantees someone goes to jail, that guarantees he register [as a sex offender] generally and guarantees other outcomes, is a good thing,’’ Acosta said of his decision to not prosecute Epstein federally.

California Democratic Sen. Dianne Feinstein, in opposing Acosta for labor secretary, noted that “his handling of a case involving sex trafficking of underage girls when he was a U.S. attorney suggests he won’t put the interests of workers and everyday people ahead of the powerful and well-connected.’’

There was a rape allegation against NDGT that came up but then I heard nothing more. Like Matthew Weiner. One story, then silence. Not that I don't believe women based on a single claim, but when you don't hear more you don't know if it was a credible accusation, like that smear job against Mueller and the day the fake incident took place he was on jury duty. But now there's more

Neil deGrasse Tyson Is Under Investigation for Sexual Misconduct

Deadline reports that the celebrity astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson is under investigation by Fox and National Geographic for sexual misconduct. The investigation results from a report by journalist David McAfee in which two women allege inappropriate interactions with Tyson. Dr. Katelyn N. Allers, who is an Associate Professor of Physics and Astronomy at Bucknell University, claims that Tyson allegedly groped her at an American Astronomical Society after-party in 2009. His former assistant, Ashley Watson, described a night where Tyson allegedly pressured her to join him at his apartment for wine, where she claims he then made several advances. Watson says she quit her job over the incident. These two allegations come a year after musician Tchiya Amet first accused Tyson of raping her when they were grad students.

^ I think the story originated in Vanity Fair? I looked around and the only other news page that I had heard of that was carrying it was the SF Chron, and they covered it in two short paragraphs. I don't disbelieve any of the accusers either, but nobody seems to have much info about it.

Tyson has responded. I think you should just read it all.

On Being Accused

a succulent Chinese meal lacuna's Avatar
    Just so we get all the info, here’s the article that gives more details from the accusers. It’s pretty uncomfortable and inappropriate behavior.

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/nosacr...al-misconduct/

And more on NDGT. The most damning thing to me is that there is corroboration (like Dr Ford with kavanaugh) that the women told people at the time. And it seems there was some "keep an eye on him around students" behavior from his colleagues. Ugh.

Nobody Believed Neil deGrasse Tyson's First Accuser. Now There Are Three More.

I'm trying to figure out whose outing as a creeper/more has disappointed me most. Cosby's probably the sickest fuck... or maybe tied with that Epstein guy. That's for sheer grossness and quantity for both of them, but I wasn't a fan of them, so their downfalls wasn't like a gut punch. NDGT is very sad because I looked up to him a lot. I watched his shows, read his books, followed him online. But I'm not ANGRY at him like I get when I see Mel Gibson ("just" a racist, anti-semitic wife-beater, not a rapist as far as I know).

Why did he think this was a good idea? Anyone? Bueller?

a succulent Chinese meal lacuna's Avatar
    Because he’s a narcissistic asshole.

I can’t bear to watch it. I read a transcript somewhere else and it is awful. Commenters have said it is like he talking directly to his accusers.

That's exactly how it seems to me.

Gone Andromeda grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    God, so gross. So utterly freaking tone deaf. This video can only be the brain child of a person in serious free fall.

He still can't do a Southern accent. I honestly don't know why he's considered an acting "legend". That was like a community college acting class monologue.

Quote Originally Posted by plastic•husband View Post
    He still can't do a Southern accent. I honestly don't know why he's considered an acting "legend". That was like a community college acting class monologue.
    Yes. Everything else aside, he's never been a particularly interesting actor.

Not really a celebrity per se, but someone we've all heard of

Biology Lab Strips James Watson of All Honorary Titles After 'Reprehensible' Race Remarks

Watson has long expressed questionable views, including a 1997 interview in which he expressed unreserved support for abortion rights—something that might have been relatively uncontroversial had he not specifically mentioned fetuses determined to have hypothetical genes leading to homosexuality, dyslexia, or a lack of musical or sports talent as valid reasons to terminate a pregnancy. But it’s his remarks on race that have drawn the most scorn, such as a 2007 interview with a British journalist in which Watson said he is “inherently gloomy about the prospect of Africa” due to (debunked) research allegedly showing racial gaps in intelligence, per the New York Times. In that interview, he also said he wished racial equality was real but “people who have to deal with black employees find this not true.” Watson apologized, though the incident ended in his semi-forced retirement as chancellor of the laboratory and later, his decision to sell his Nobel Prize.

In that interview, Watson said that his views had not changed and he had not “seen any knowledge” negating his belief that there is a genetic connection between race and intelligence, the Times wrote. He also said he took no joy in “the difference between blacks and whites” and that “It’s awful, just like it’s awful for schizophrenics.”