Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: The Entertainment Industry's BS Machine Pt 2: Perverts and Bigots Boogaloo

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    I was hoping the Mario Batali stuff wasn't too bad, but it is much worse than first reported. Not that I'd be shopping at Eataly regardless, but that I wouldn't have felt complicit for watching The Chew for years.

Mario Batali Under Criminal Investigation For Sexual Misconduct: NYPD

The “60 Minutes” story includes interviews with women who say they were sexually assaulted by Batali. One woman, who was interviewed in silhouette to protect her identity, is accusing Batali of drugging her and engaging in what she described as criminal sexual misconduct while she was unconscious. Batali, through an attorney, denied these allegations.

At the time, the woman, who worked for Batali in 2005, had a rape kit done and spoke to detectives in the special victims unit at the NYPD. Even though the detectives asked her to file a police report, she declined, telling “60 Minutes,” “They tried getting me to file a report. They tried, they tried. But I ― you know, a young actress, no resources, no money ― I couldn’t. I― I couldn’t do it.”

trapped in the worst timeline just owls's Avatar
    Not really sure which celebrity fuckery thread this belongs in, but this interview filled me with so much rage. I want to hug Jessica Walter and take her and Alia Shawkat out for drinks.

Apparently, Jeffrey Tambor really viciously verbally attacked Jessica Walter. The interviewer brings this up and Jessica Walter is fighting through tears the whole time as Jason Bateman and all of the other men (but mostly Bateman) keep trying to downplay her experience as something that "just happens all the time" and "we all get angry". She keeps saying, "No! Not like this! I've never experienced anything like this in 60 years" and they just dismiss her over and over, of course saying "Not to belittle you" as they continue to do so. Alia Shawkat spoke up once and was completely ignored.

The last season of AD was a steaming pile of shit (IMO IMO IMO) and I never intended to watch this one, but this kind of shit ruins the 2 1/12 good seasons for me. Fuck Jason Bateman especially. They tripped over themselves to come to the defense of the person who was 1,000% in the wrong and to diminish the experience of the victim. As she was sitting right there.

This is just part of it:

Last edited by just owls; 05-24-2018 at 07:50 AM.

she might not be so bold fullofwish's Avatar

Audio of part of the interview has been released. She's on the verge of tears and, judging by the transcript of the conversation that follows this, not a single one of them appears to have any empathy or care for her. Including David Cross who is fucking MARRIED to Amber Tamblyn, one of the women behind #metoo

I used to really like Bateman and Cross but this is so fucked up. I feel like they were trying to smooth over the awkwardness of it but it just comes across as being dismissive of her and defensive/sympathetic toward him.

I also used to like Tambor as an actor but holy shit he’s revealed himself to be a piece of garbage between this and the sexual harassment allegations. Now I don’t even want to see the new Arrested Development.

Quote Originally Posted by fullofwish View Post

Audio of part of the interview has been released. She's on the verge of tears and, judging by the transcript of the conversation that follows this, not a single one of them appears to have any empathy or care for her. Including David Cross who is fucking MARRIED to Amber Tamblyn, one of the women behind #metoo
    This was so hard to listen to, and I think her tears were even less to do with the original incident and more how they were treating her right there. No one had her back except for Alia and she was ignored. Everyone except for Alia was completely gaslighting her. And as she kept saying that she is moving past it and she needs to move on, it definitely felt less to me like, "I am actually ready to move on from this" and more like she needs to if she wants to keep the job. Listening to this and reading the transcript, I imagine if she did tell them she was not comfortable going forward with Tambor around, she would be the one who would be written out of the show. She made a comment somewhere in the interview about how lucky she feels to have this part because parts for women her age so so rare. How fucked up.

And something that was initially lost on me with the shock of everything else: the fucking audacity for Bateman, Hale, and Cross to tell her how "it is" in the business when she has been acting for longer than either of them have been alive.

ETA: Also, in 60 years as a woman in Hollywood, you have to imagine she's been subjected to a lot of horrible shit by actors she's work with, so just how bad was the abuse hurled at her from Tambor that it shook her that much and made her keep saying, "Never anything like this"?
    Last edited by just owls; 05-24-2018 at 07:56 AM.

Based on listening to the NYT interview and hearing people’s thoughts online, I realize that I was wrong here.
    I sound like I’m condoning yelling at work. I do not.
    It sounds like I’m excusing Jeffery. I do not.
    It sounds like I’m insensitive to Jessica. I am not.
    In fact, I’m horrified that I wasn’t more aware of how this incident affected her.
    I was so eager to let Jeffrey know that he was supported in his attempt to learn, grow and apologize that I completely underestimated the feelings of the victim, another person I deeply love - and she was sitting right there!
    I’m incredibly embarrassed and deeply sorry to have done that to Jessica. This is a big learning moment for me.
    I shouldn’t have tried so hard to mansplain, or fix a fight, or make everything okay.
    I should’ve focused more on what the most important part of it all is - there’s never any excuse for abuse, in any form, from any gender. And, the victim’s voice needs to be heard and respected.
    Period.

I didn’t say that and instead said a bunch of other stuff and not very well.
    I deeply, and sincerely, apologize.

And in the evening it's. . . Andrea's Avatar

Am I alone in thinking we already knew this about Freeman? Or was he already on my shit list for... ugh, the details are fuzzy... wasn't he dating a woman who was age-appropriate and then left her to be with her granddaughter?

And in the evening it's. . . Andrea's Avatar
    Something like that. I think he was her step-father? Grandfather?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea View Post
    Something like that. I think he was her step-father? Grandfather?
    She was his step-granddaughter. I think he always denied it, and I hope to fuck it wasn't true because ugh. And it allegedly began when she was a teen. She was murdered by her boyfriend a few years ago.

Harvey Weinstein is going to turn himself in tomorrow

Harvey Weinstein is expected to surrender to authorities Friday to face sex assault charges in connection with an attack on a student actress, the New York Daily News has learned.

The fallen Hollywood honcho is expected to be charged with preying on Lucia Evans who told investigators that Weinstein forced her to perform oral sex on him in 2004, sources said.

It was not immediately clear if Weinstein will be hit with additional charges related to other victims.

It's a big day in the Bullshit Machine!

LOL. Owls beat me to the punch.
    At my core, I think we're gonna be OK.

Barack Hussein Obama

My crush on Thomas Sadoski has grown by a thousand. He posted this yesterday about the Arrested Development interview:

This is Jessica Walter. She is a national goddamned treasure. It was an honor and a privilege to work with her. I don’t give a fuck who you think you are or how good you think you are or how awesome you think your buddy/daddy is: screaming at someone isn’t “part of the business”. It’s bullshit. It’s unhinged bullshit behavior and it has NEVER been acceptable. It wasn’t cool in the 70’s or 80’s or whenthefuckever you “came up”. It was bullshit then, it is bullshit now. And excusing that kind of behavior is pathetic. Just pathetic. I worked in shitty greasy-spoon kitchens growing up: it wasn’t acceptable behavior THERE and most of us were on HEAVY DRUGS. It certainly isn’t acceptable for some man-baby millionaire to do on a cozy ass tv show set. And it is even less acceptable for his male cast-mates to excuse it away IN FRONT OF THE PERSON THAT IT HAPPENED TO....(wait for it)....WHILE SHE IS TRYING TO EXPLAIN HOW TRAUMATIZING THE EXPERIENCE WAS. What in the halfpenny fuck is happening?!

That’s awesome. True story. I had a huge crush on Jessica Walter when I was a kid. One day, we all went over to my dad’s coworker’s house for dinner. The coworker’s wife was pregnant with their first child. They were jokingly asking what they should name the kid, and I said that if it were a girl, they HAD to name her Jessica.

They named her Jessica. Now, I don’t know if my suggestion had anything to do with that, but I like to think that it did. If it did, there’s a woman out there in her mid to late 40s who’s named after Jessica Walter.

Today, I have a bit of a crush on a woman named Jessica. And then, of course Jessica Chastain. So yeah, great name. Sorry for the digression. Anyway, yeah, that whole thing was pretty fucked up. I lost a fair amount of respect for Bateman and Cross. Bateman’s apology was decent, but he needs to follow it up with action right quick. As for Cross, we’ll, here’s something.

Because she’s responsible for what her damned husband says, because she’s his appendage. Anyway, Amber is awesome, it’s about time Weinstein went down, and Morgan Freeman can go fuck himself.

Barack Hussein Obama

Oh, and there's a new Ronan Farrow article on Weinstein up at the New Yorker.

Barack Hussein Obama