Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Entertainment Industry's BS Machine Pt 2: Perverts and Bigots Boogaloo

a succulent Chinese meal lacuna's Avatar
    Reading this account really makes me not want to watch any of his movies ever again.

Last edited by Steve SFM; 02-04-2018 at 05:28 AM.
    At my core, I think we're gonna be OK.

Barack Hussein Obama

Didn't he also strangle Diane Kruger in Inglourious Basterds until she passed out? Guy has problems...

Yeah, people are talking about that too.

Barack Hussein Obama

What Jessica Chastain said about rape being used as a plot device to make female characters stronger is spot on. It's a tired concept and it's been a pet peeve of mine for decades. I'd love to see it die. That goes for torture scenes in movies too.

I always got the feeling that Tarantino was kind of a Nice Guy, and Uma was his unrequited love interest. He put her on a pedestal and gave her top roles, but put her in the roles that he fantasized about her being in. Now of course there are examples of him taking out his frustrations towards her under the guise of "showing her how he wanted her to act". Very much a "You're amazing why can't you see how great I treat you....oh, you don't want me, well fuck you. I'll show you!" type of relationship at times.

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar

Adam Venit is the dude who "allegedly" groped Terry.

He is trash. Trash trash trash trash trash.

Not arguing that’s wrong, but Uma did clarify yesterday that she doesn’t think QT injured her purposely and that she has forgiven him. She’s less forgiving of studio people who tried to cover it all up. In any case, I hope that Tarantino genuinely feels shaken by this and actually uses that feeling to change.

Barack Hussein Obama

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    I don't think he was necessarily TRYING to hurt her or whatshername from Inglourious Basterds, but clearly he doesn't think of women as people and we're just props for his feet fantasies.

And now there’s this, from Instagram.

dianekruger In light of the recent allegations made by Uma Thurman against Harvey Weinstein and her terrifying work experience on “Kill Bill”, my name has been mentioned in numerous articles in regards to the choking scene in “Inglourious Basterds”. This is an important moment in time and my heart goes out to Uma and anyone who has ever been the victim of sexual assault and abuse. I stand with you.
    For the record however, I would like to say that my work experience with Quentin Tarantino was pure joy. He treated me with utter respect and never abused his power or forced me to do anything I wasn’t comfortable with. With love, D xoxo
    So what to make of this?

Barack Hussein Obama

Well, I guess if she was fine with it, we can't really be outraged for her...?

I don't think QT is a monster but I think he has some issues. He is not a Harvey Weinstein in that I don't think he abuses his power for sinister reasons, but rather an over-zealous passion for filmmaking at the expense of his actors. There are legendary stories of Werner Herzog's treatment of his actors, which all add to the mystique of his movies, but that doesn't make it right. I think maybe Tarantino thinks of himself as a modern Herzog and thus thinks it's okay to, say, force an actress to risk her life for one driving shot.

^^^I think that's exactly right. I was calling for QT's head at first, but I've softened a bit in light of what the women involved have said. Still, he absolutely has to learn from this and change. Artistic purity can't be the be-all and end-all of life. We have to concentrate more on treating people with respect.

Jewel was right. In the end, only kindness matters.

Barack Hussein Obama

Alt Universe CliqueMember Spikey's Avatar
    I actually find the "I didn't think it was a stunt it was just driving" rhetoric really hard to digest. What he should be addressing correctly here is that he abused his status to coerce Thurman into filming a scene she REALLY didn't want to do. The situation is not that different from what Brando experienced in Last Tango in Paris (being coerced into filming a scene she REALLY didn't want to do), except for that the theme of that Kill Bill scene wasn't sexual.
    "Replies are a combination of nonsense, unrelated comments and inside jokes"‎

I think QT's Polanski comments are enough to put me off watching any of his movies again.