Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Where will Tori go next?

Where will Tori go next?

Just thoughts on where people would like or think Tori will go next, either thematically or sonically.
    I would love her to go more experimental aka Datura. Pull a Yoko Ono.
    All I want to be is the very best machine I can be.

Gone Andromeda grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    I love how PJ Harvey and Sufjan Stevens have been putting out individual songs, unmoored from proper studio albums, for the last couple of years. It helps that I really like the songs themselves. I think this could be an interesting approach for Tori.

I would love it if she would put out a b-sides album and released it on vinyl.

And she needs to take a different approach with her next tour, I think. Not tour with THE band, but maybe a drummer only, or a guitarist only, or a bass only. String players. I don't know what the right answer is, but I think a little bit of accompaniment and slightly more structure to the performances themselves seems like a good way to mix it up a little.

Of course, if she pulls together a Native Invader-grade album, I welcome it.

Send her to the vaults until she's ready for a new album. Live stuff preferably.

girlfriend, you are so on Octopussy's Avatar
    Tash as producer

By the methane lakes Bloody Grace's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grapefruit_is_winning View Post
    I love how PJ Harvey and Sufjan Stevens have been putting out individual songs, unmoored from proper studio albums, for the last couple of years. It helps that I really like the songs themselves. I think this could be an interesting approach for Tori.
    I don't think Tori is the kind of artist that would to this, because we've seen that her marketing/communication department is always one step behind the rest of the world, but I'd love if musicians would start to think about new formats to publish songs, maybe built around the platforms people is using today. As you said, releasing single songs, releasing more EPs, releasing experimental formats and such... the thing I like about CDs is the art, usually, but even for that there are much better formats (such as lyrics books, music sheet books, posters etc). And in the age of video (even if I'm not 100% into that) it's a shame that musicians are sticking to lyric videos instead of doing GREAT video material. I know video is expensive, but c'mon... it's time that the music industry gives us something more practical and artistic than a cd.
    My website! LOOK, ART!1
    A certain darkness is needed to see the stars - Under a warm tuscan sun

^ but I would worry that she would release one off songs like Flicker. I prefer the album format or EPs - but yes, I think they could think of different ways to release them.

With Up the Creek having been released on Native Invader, Tash being around 18 years old, and the lame Casio beats for some songs on the 2014 and 2017 tours - I wonder if Tori would ever venture into a dancy / kinda upbeat / poppy type album - - - just to do something different. Almost like a Tori version of a Carly Rae Jepson or Taylor Swift album.

Songs like Bouncing Off Clouds, Digital Ghost. She would need to partner with someone other than Mark - so I guess this will never happen

I imagine though the next album will be a bunch Tori piano ballads having to do with her mother - as Tori seems to write about what she is feeling / going through.
    Robbing the muse...

spring summer fall winter endlesswant's Avatar
    I would like a more organic sound via may be prepared pianos or Earth sounding instruments or a harpsichord

Quote Originally Posted by endlesswant View Post
    I would like a more organic sound via may be prepared pianos or Earth sounding instruments or a harpsichord
    I would love prepared pianos.
    And I think it is likely that be influenced by her mother.

I also wouldn't mind something like Midwinter Graces, but maybe based off hymns or something. And with much better production.
    All I want to be is the very best machine I can be.

This may be a stretch, but I bet we're going to get a guitar-heavy album produced with Mark and Marcel in Cornwall...
    Living in my own personal Cornwall bubble

By the methane lakes Bloody Grace's Avatar
    You know what I'd love? That she'd go back to electronica, to do stuff like FTCH/Venus or Wait Until Tomorrow. I think that's my favourite Tori. There's some of it on UG and NI. Up the Creek imo went in the right direction.
    My website! LOOK, ART!1
    A certain darkness is needed to see the stars - Under a warm tuscan sun

Quote Originally Posted by SloppyJane View Post
    This may be a stretch, but I bet we're going to get a guitar-heavy album produced with Mark and Marcel in Cornwall...
    Yeah, I'm imagining this as a possibility. And a conceptual album, but not conceptual like NI but like ADP.
    When he woke up, the dinosaur was still there.

^ and I just vomited.
    Robbing the muse...

Quote Originally Posted by Bloody Grace View Post
    You know what I'd love? That she'd go back to electronica, to do stuff like FTCH/Venus or Wait Until Tomorrow. I think that's my favourite Tori. There's some of it on UG and NI. Up the Creek imo went in the right direction.
    Yes, please.

so what if i like pretty things Bryan Alan's Avatar
    She needs to do a 20th Anniversary Plugged Tour. Come on!
    tuna rubber a little blubber in my igloo

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Alan View Post
    She needs to do a 20th Anniversary Plugged Tour. Come on!
    Only if she brings back Steve Caton.