Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Where will Tori go next?

Quote Originally Posted by Venus_Envy View Post
    Matt and Jon were not at Martian for the recording of either AATS or Midwinter Graces. Yes, they played on both records but Tori did her bits and Martian and Matt and Jon did their bits elsewhere and the whole lot were then shoved together. They weren't ever in a studio together.

The last time they actually recorded together was in 2006-07.
    I remember the stories of them recording 'Midwinter Graces' at different places and studios in the US while being on the road with the 'Sinful Attraction' tour. From what I believe, they were still recording stuff together, just not in Cornwall. Could be that Tori did all of the vocals back home, though.

However, I never knew Matt and Jon weren't at Martian to record 'Abnormally Attracted To Sin'? This was in the press release at the time:

Tori's tenth solo album, Abnormally Attracted to Sin, was released on May 19, 2009, by Universal Republic Records. Abnormally Attracted to Sin was recorded in 2008 at Martian Engineering in Cornwall, England, with Matt Chamberlain on drums, Jon Evans on bass and Mac Aladdin on guitar.
    It's just a press release, though. But it's in the liner notes as well, as for 'Midwinter Graces' some other studios are mentioned.
    Last edited by Peeping Tommi; 03-11-2019 at 09:32 PM.

Which recording session did Matt post that atrocious studio picture of Tori sans wigs and makeup? They probably weren't invited back after that

The Beekeeper?

if you're thinking of this photo, that was in 2006, when they were recording ADP.
    Music melts all the separate parts of our bodies together.

Quote Originally Posted by Venus_Envy View Post
    Matt and Jon were not at Martian for the recording of either AATS or Midwinter Graces. Yes, they played on both records but Tori did her bits and Martian and Matt and Jon did their bits elsewhere and the whole lot were then shoved together. They weren't ever in a studio together.

The last time they actually recorded together was in 2006-07.
    I’m pretty sure all of AAtS was tracked live in studio with the band. Tori mentioned in an interview that it reminded her of the Choirgirl recording sessions, and I remember us all being hopeful of that kind of quality.

Much of Midwinter Graces was recorded on tour.

Quote Originally Posted by velvetjosephine View Post
    if you're thinking of this photo, that was in 2006, when they were recording ADP.
    Awwww she looks like 1994 T in that pic.
    They say you were something in those formative years...

Just a couple of days ago I realized that the two b-sides of NI have the same title of two of the biggest b-sides of LE, creating some kind of circle between her first and her so far last album.
    When he woke up, the dinosaur was still there.

Gone Andromeda grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    ^ Huh. Interesting!

indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by waitressboy View Post
    Just a couple of days ago I realized that the two b-sides of NI have the same title of two of the biggest b-sides of LE, creating some kind of circle between her first and her so far last album.
    I think the songs have the same themes, about being resilient both in our own relationships, within our own heads (Upside Down and Upside Down 2) and when looking outwardly to the world (Russia, TTTS).

Upside Down and Upside Down 2 are both about inner thoughts that can turn on you - and you have to learn to stand on your own, find the secret to life, and / or turn your frown upside down as she does in both songs.

Russia and TTTS - other than the Russia connection, have mantras of fighting for what you believe in - taking to the sky or finding your native invader and being a warrior of the earth.
    Last edited by Beelust; 04-03-2019 at 11:08 PM.
    Robbing the muse...

If the new album is related to her original plans for NI, I think it would be really cool if she explored the history of American Folk music and did something like Midwinter Graces (with better results), turning old songs into new songs.

Along the same vein, I think it would be really cool to hear Tori's take on hymns. Maybe create new hymns for a non-Christian universal audience. Something encouraging, that speaks about connection with nature. Possibly incorporating older songs as well. Now that I type it, it sounds a little cheesy. I don't want it cheesy. But I like this idea, and I think Tori could do it well.
    All I want to be is the very best machine I can be.

your veil is quietly becoming none roominmyheart's Avatar
    I could see if it if it was like 96 Amazing Grace....this old man, old susannah, all those ones she's done before in live shows. I don't think she'd go that route again or wouldn't do it the same way that's for sure.