Thread: Tori's Greatest Electronic Hits, Studio Version

Tori's Greatest Electronic Hits, Studio Version

I didn't pick out poll options because I'd surely forget something. What Tori songs use electronic beats, synths, whatever counts as electronic for you, the best?

And, since she's played many songs both acoustic and electronic on tour, let's stick to studio songs.

I would have to say “Riot Poof” beyond all others. In this song, I think Tori did what she was trying to do throughout Choirgirl. The synth textures she uses throughout the song had this very modern/90’s yet even futuristic tone to them and I don’t know if Andy Grey programmed the beats on the song or if the percussion was more Matt Chamberlain’s doing but the bottom end of this track just grooves. She’s never released a song that’s remotely like this track but I think this was a high watermark for her producing side. And its just fun to dance to!!

Juarez, Riot Poof, Suede. So much happening in those songs.

And Not David Bowie.
    All I want to be is the very best machine I can be.

Juarez, Hotel, Flavor & Cruel for me.

Carnival and Datura (part 2) as well
    If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. Friedrich Nietzsche

Yes, Datura. AATS (the song) is so gauzy and mysterious too. I've always loved "Give" as well.

"Hotel," always. Not sure what all is programmed and what's live, but there's so much going on there it's hard to tell anything. Which makes the song such a wonderful head trip.

Siren

Carnival is up there for me. But anything Choirgirl Hotel would be number 1- that album is just stellar. Cruel, Raspberry Swirl, Iieee, Liquid Diamonds, Hotel - and all the other songs on there with less obvious electronic elements. Definitely my favourite Tori album. I don't think I would be as big a Tori fan if this album was never released.

Mountain is another great Tori electronic moment which is probably overlooked - - - because she never officially released the masterpiece! Ugh Tori.

EDIT - OMG no one has mentioned Strange Little Girls! So many amazing electronic flourishes on that album. Raining Blood would be my favourite there.
    Last edited by Beelust; 04-21-2018 at 02:30 PM.
    Robbing the muse...

the juniper tree is mine Octopussy's Avatar
    I think Choirgirl is more rock than electronic. Venus had a great synth-heavy sound, lush and full of detail, and I dare say AATS has some great production moments (title track, Police Me, WTE minus the ending, Flavor maybe)

But I have to say SLG has been the best-produced Tori w/ band album. Even the covers I'm kind of "ehh" about (Raining, ETS, Mondays) still have a great sound. Also there isn't a single "happy" upbeat song on it, unless you count the title track which isn't so much happy as relieved to be leaving a bad situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Beelust View Post
    Carnival is up there for me. But anything Choirgirl Hotel would be number 1- that album is just stellar. Cruel, Raspberry Swirl, Iieee, Liquid Diamonds, Hotel - and all the other songs on there with less obvious electronic elements. Definitely my favourite Tori album. I don't think I would be as big a Tori fan if this album was never released.

Mountain is another great Tori electronic moment which is probably overlooked - - - because she never officially released the masterpiece! Ugh Tori.

EDIT - OMG no one has mentioned Strange Little Girls! So many amazing electronic flourishes on that album. Raining Blood would be my favourite there.
    Raining Blood is another masterpiece

^ it is seriously one of the best performances of her career. Just perfection, imo.

I love the rock w electronic flourishes of Bliss. It’s a perfect blend for me. Suede, Lust ( those drums!), Juarez, Datura, Hotel, RS, Cruel, Bonnie and Clyde...those are my “off the top of my head” faves.
    The Landslide Never Brought, Brought Me Down

Long-time Lurker
    I think Spring Haze would qualify. I love it! Hotel may be the epitome, though.

the juniper tree is mine Octopussy's Avatar
    Spring Haze is amazing, that's probably my #1 post-Choirgirl remaster wish. Venus has held up pretty well, but that's one song to could use a refurbishing. Also, when I listen to album version now, I miss the piano intro and growly, drawn-out ending that she's been doing live since forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Octopussy View Post
    Spring Haze is amazing, that's probably my #1 post-Choirgirl remaster wish. Venus has held up pretty well, but that's one song to could use a refurbishing. Also, when I listen to album version now, I miss the piano intro and growly, drawn-out ending that she's been doing live since forever.
    I love the idea of Spring Haze being a sort of twin (or an inverse twin) for Zero Point. I'd love to hear something incorporating both. I'm having trouble remembering what Tori's said about the two songs' relationship, but I think there's something.

I hadn't thought of a re-master, but yes! I also loved the 2011 quartet arrangement.