Thread: Hello DPRKness, my old friend.

Hello DPRKness, my old friend.

Figured it would be worthwhile having a thread for all the North Korea stuff going on, and this exceptionally gooey spatter of brain muck seemed as good a place as any to start.

I mean, no-one wants to murder their people all day! Just sometimes you have to, y'know? Give the poor guy a break, it's not easy having to murder your people all day.

The normalization of authoritarian despots in the Age of Trump is truly staggering. Even this commemorative coin, issued by the White House, appears to celebrate Supreme Leader Kim. I guess the WH is just super down with Supreme Leaders now.

Going back to the Fox News thing, it is something I've been wondering about - is Kim looking for a way out? Even supposing he does now possess the means to strike the US with a nuclear weapon, that can only end badly for him. His best option is probably to be the Chairman who ended the Korean War, allowed his nation to rejoin the international community, and then spend the rest of his days under house arrest in some palatial residence.

Could be Kim's just giving Trump enough room to shake apart the alliance between Seoul and Washington?

Why Trump’s cancellation of the North Korea summit may undermine the US-South Korea alliance.

The political left has long wanted a return to greater South Korean autonomy. But moderate conservatives who have long supported the alliance and are in their 40s and 50s will also begin to question its value. At the same time, far-right conservatives are already discussing how the US alliance has prevented South Korea from taking the steps necessary to defend itself. Given their support for South Korea obtaining its own nuclear arsenal, the implications are clear. The best such example came this week from a former South Korean national security adviser. That a known North Korea hawk is entertaining the idea of a partial US troop withdrawal should sound alarm bells in Washington.
    For all the jokes people make about Trump playing 4D chess, it's possible that Kim Jong-Un really is a political savant.

Is there any image more perfect for this, the stupidest day in international diplomacy?

Last edited by Pete!; 06-12-2018 at 03:35 PM.

*subscribes*

Here's the thing: Dennis Rodman, Roseanne, all the people the Republicans are currently championing... most of them have long, public histories of mental illness. And this is not to shame people who are mentally ill, but it's to highlight that 1) Republicans either can't or won't see that because of their ignorance, and 2) these are the people who the right used to demonize. Remember how much they made fun of Rodman for dating Madonna, or cross-dressing? Remember how they used to call him a fag and a freak? Do you remember when the country revolted after Roseanne butchered singing the National Anthem (something she never wanted to do or should have been asked to do) before grabbing her crotch and spitting on the ground? Conservatives HATED these people, and now they're talking about how wonderful they are. Except they aren't. The right is using them now, which makes this all way more gross than it needs to be.

We're truly living in the Upside Down now and I don't know when this timeline shifted but I want to go back or I want it to stop so I can exit.

Also:

In less than 24 hours we’ve broken the promise of ending joint military exercises with South Korea. I’m waiting on breaking news of a NK missile launch...

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Also:

In less than 24 hours we’ve broken the promise of ending joint military exercises with South Korea. I’m waiting on breaking news of a NK missile launch...
    I've been semi-afk today and it seems like he's both said it's ending and said it's not ending. Fucking disinformation to make the press look bad and it's choose your own adventure for the stupid Trump supporters.

And it's not historic as in OMG I can't believe a president made this happen! Wow, much diplomacy!

Any president could have done this. Any leader of NK would have loved this at any time.

No one else in the US is dumb enough to do it without concessions and without verifiable, written promises, both before and after.

I'll begrudgingly give him credit if this somehow works out, but this is a fucking mess and it should terrify anyone paying attention this week that the only good words he has are for leaders who literally kill their critics.

Such a good job cleaning up a mess of his own making...

Oh, and this isn't going to help much next time

Yep, that's going to go as well as expected.

Obviously I'm no expert on geopolitics (although compared to POTUS...), but any real negotiation with DPRK should lead with closing the prisons and making plans for the Kim dynasty to abdicate. That's the strong starting position. And ideally Kim goes to the Hague, but you allow for the fact that you can probably shuffle him off to retire somewhere; the shitter's not going to go quietly, but if he recognizes that his time is up, Rich Dude's House Arrest isn't actually a horrible way to end up, and the international community can swallow it if Korea's reunited and people are free.

Of course, that's all a for a certain measure of freedom, and actually Westernizing their economy and having half the population driving Ubers for the rest of their lives is also pretty shit, but that's a whole other conversation.

Anyway, my favourite thing about this whole ridiculous affair is just how few fucks Trump gives about letting everyone know exactly what's really going on.

"As an example they have great beaches. You see that whenever they’re exploding their cannons into the ocean. I said, boy, look at that view. Wouldn’t that make a great condo? And I explained, I said, you know, instead of doing that you could have the best hotels in the world right there. Think of it from a real estate perspective."
    Because nothing matters any more, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Here's the thing: Dennis Rodman, Roseanne, all the people the Republicans are currently championing... these are the people who the right used to demonize.

Conservatives HATED these people, and now they're talking about how wonderful they are.
    It really is just a matter of convenience, innit? Trump's base responds only to raw praise for their Dear Leader, so they're looking to the few public figures willing to gush about him. Unfortunately, although not surprisingly, those individuals are kinda damaged.*

*Speaking as someone who has mental health issues, has friends and family with mental health issues etc. No shade, just sad tbh.

Oh yeah, and this:

Give him a pink kimono and put his hair in a bun, he'll be all set.

What happens when Kim fails? Does Trump just up and nuke NK? Is putin behind this somehow? Or will he never fail in Trump's eyes because Trump will never see it? (Unless, of course, Kim supports Mueller or Trudeau, some treasonous shit like that)

North Korea borders Russia, so it's conceivable that Trump's been nudged in this direction in order to remove US missiles and military from the peninsula.

When I started this thread a few weeks ago I really did wonder if Kim was looking for a way out, to avoid a messy end, but I kinda forgot the untethered idiocy of POTUS. Whatever Kim does, so long as he only harms his own people and threatens countries that aren't the US, Trump will say he's an ally.