Thread: Depression playlist

Quote Originally Posted by Octopussy View Post
    That's practically a party song compared to this list:
    At age 43, the way that Cornell sings
    How would I know
    That this could be my fate?
    How would I know
    That this could be my fate? Yeah
    I'm cut to the core. I'm still fighting certain battles that I started when I was 16 and this song came out. I wasn't a SG fan, but this song has me having another look.

Sometimes it's not the words themselves, it's the expression. It's hard to find songs that are more uptempo that deal with depression. I'm not talking about depression after a break up. I am not talking about grief. I am talking about all of a sudden you are handling life OK, and bam! Your dear friend depression is back. He's a total frenemy!
    Anyway It's like someone adds a weight vest to you and you still have to get through you're days. You still have play the role of spouse, parent, employee, etc.

Sheryl Crow - Weather Channel

It's just sugar
    Just a pill to make me happy
    I know it may not fix the hinges
    But at least the door has stopped its creaking
    I got friends
    They're waiting for me to comb out my hair
    Come outside and join the human race
    But I don't feel so human
    Last edited by folderol and; 06-09-2018 at 10:00 PM. Reason: lyric correction

Last edited by HumptyDumpty; 06-09-2018 at 11:53 PM.

A Nirvana cover

The way Sinéad sings this is heartbreaking.

A Matter Of How You See It Kala's Avatar

All around me are familiar faces
    Worn out places, worn out faces
    Bright and early for their daily races
    Going nowhere, going nowhere

And I find it kinda funny, I find it kinda sad
    The dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had
    I find it hard to tell you, I find it hard to take
    When people run in circles it's a very very
    Mad world, mad world

Well guess what Mimi, WE DID. Octopussy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    At age 43, the way that Cornell sings

I'm cut to the core. I'm still fighting certain battles that I started when I was 16 and this song came out. I wasn't a SG fan, but this song has me having another look.

Sometimes it's not the words themselves, it's the expression. It's hard to find songs that are more uptempo that deal with depression. I'm not talking about depression after a break up. I am not talking about grief. I am talking about all of a sudden you are handling life OK, and bam! Your dear friend depression is back. He's a total frenemy!
    Anyway It's like someone adds a weight vest to you and you still have to get through you're days. You still have play the role of spouse, parent, employee, etc.
    Interesting. My idea of "depression music" is way different. Because when I think of the soundtrack to my own depression, I think of dissociation/isolation from everyone, negative introspection, and eventually melancholia that sort of resembles a form of acceptance. That's the most dangerous place to be, when you have accepted your own self-destruction as if it were inevitable. "My life sucks but it'll be over soon, so I'm gonna enjoy my last few weeks/days/hours" -- I never realized until recently that most people never experience depression this deep. Most people have never pushed themselves through a week, feeling so hopeless that the only comfort was that hey, on Saturday maybe I'll try hanging myself. I also have bipolar 1 which gives you the lowest lows imaginable, or so I'm told. But Any kind of recurring depression is like getting both your legs broken when you still have to run a race. So , I feel you.

Anyway I find that music with words doesn't always capture this feeling very well. My melancholia playlists usually feature stuff like this:

Last edited by Octopussy; 06-11-2018 at 03:53 AM.

Interesting. My idea of "depression music" is way different.
    I think that's most people's idea. If you look at the songs posted here, most are very slow. Years ago I made a depression mixed type. Most of the songs were the saddest, slowest songs you ever heard. Since it was about 20 years ago, I actually don't remember what was on it.

Most people have never pushed themselves through a week, feeling so hopeless that the only comfort was that hey, on Saturday maybe I'll try hanging myself. I also have bipolar 1 which gives you the lowest lows imaginable, or so I'm told. But Any kind of recurring depression is like getting both your legs broken when you still have to run a race. So , I feel you.
    I only recently learned that depression doesn't go that deep for everyone. I say it's how I live my life, accepting that there is a way to end it but choosing not to. I think some of the language that people use around suicide speak to the fact that they DO NOT know what it's like. Depression for some isn't temporary. It's life long.

Generally speaking, however, I don't like slow songs.

Juliana is talking about her dog, but I understand what she's talking about. Honestly, what keeps me from suicide is that I have experienced in my family. My husband's family has experienced it. I don't want to do that to my husband or daughter.

Can't say what I mean
    Can't love from the heart
    Can't trust in the mercy and the goodness in the world
    Can't learn to accept that it's alright
    To struggle with the limits of this ordinary life
    Last edited by Nick; 06-12-2018 at 01:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Perky Compson View Post

Vince Staples - "Party People"

Awkward silence, my brain scream louder
    Askin' when I'm gon' blast myself
    Couple problems my cash can't help
    Human issues, too strong for tissues
    False bravado all masked by wealth
    This is the exact type of song I was talking about. Love it!

And of course there is always this song: It speaks to how depression can be the only thing you trust. It's pretty damn reliable.

Only knows desire. Perky Compson's Avatar
    Glad you like Vince! His album Big Fish Theory has several tracks that touch on depression.

I think people were a little confused when you said "no downtempo" because "Fell on Black Days" is a downtempo song. Here's some that imo are a little more rock.

Smog- "You Moved In"
    Cardigans- "Couldn't Care Less"
    Sparklehorse- "Morning Hollow"
    Lou Reed- "The Kids"

James Blues by J Tillman (Father John Misty before he was Father John Misty)

Rescue Blues by Ryan Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Perky Compson View Post
    Glad you like Vince! His album Big Fish Theory has several tracks that touch on depression.

I think people were a little confused when you said "no downtempo" because "Fell on Black Days" is a downtempo song. Here's some that imo are a little more rock.
    Honestly, I had no idea what term to use! I wanted to avoid the stereotypical depressed sounding songs. I wanted to avoid post break-up and grief songs. Sorry for any confusion! The sad songs people posted were great listens! Some I had never heard some I had forgotten about!
    Last edited by entropy; 06-13-2018 at 11:01 AM.

The Levellers - Julie
    post28!