Thread: Father John Misty

Father John Misty

He's an artist who I have tried to warm up to in the past but have found it very challenging to do so, to put it mildly. I've heard a song here and there that I've liked, but when I've tried to listen to his last album (Pure Comedy) a few times, I could not get through it--it was too snarky and bloated for my tastes.

I read descriptions of his new album, God's Favorite Customer, which made me think it might click with me. I'm glad I gave it a chance--I love it. It's definitely a melancholy listen, but it's shot through with humor and he sings with great tenderness. For all of the attention paid to his public persona and songwriting, it seems to get lost sometimes that he is actually a terrific singer. "The Songwriter" is one of my favorite tracks of the year--it actually made me tearful when I first heard it, which is not something I would expect from a Father John Misty song. My other favorites are probably "Please Don't Die" and "Just Dumb Enough to Try," but the whole album is great. This and the new Neko are on heavy rotation for me.

Is anyone else enjoying it?

He’s one of my faves and I LOVE the new album. I definitely think anyone who likes singer-songwriters with a penchant for melody and great lyrics should check him out. This new album is so honest and raw ( and beautiful) that I think those who have been put off by his pretentious snark would really enjoy it because he’s basically telegraphing his heart on this album without trying to be clever.

Dumb Enough To Try is a contender for SOTY for me. In a perfect world, it’d be number one on billboard. To me it’s a modern “All By Myself” or something. Just gorgeous.
    The Landslide Never Brought, Brought Me Down

Love the new album. Hang out at the Gallows is one of these meaty songs where no hooks were spared. So many delicious twists and turns.
    I don't know anything about him other than the Fleet Foxes connection (and plan to keep it that way).
    I'm surprised to hear this is supposedly his "dark" album. I think it is rather upbeat at times? I mean, I could dance to Date Night.

His last album, “Pure Comedy,” was dark in a “The world is screwed right now” sort of way. This one was written during a painful separation from his wife, and delves into his darkest impulses. The song “Please Don’t Die” is a particularly painful song, but one thing i love is that Josh has always managed to find humor even at his ( or our) lowest.

If you want to hear what is essentially the flip side of this album, check out his second, “I Love You, Honeybear.”
    Last edited by Adam; 06-13-2018 at 09:41 PM.

^Thanks Adam - I listened to Honeybear and it is indeed quite cheeky.
    I am not sure I like it actually!

Oh no! I LOVE that album!

strike every chord that you feel Owen's Avatar
    The new record is phenomenal and definitely a contender for my personal AOTY.

Only knows desire. Perky Compson's Avatar
    I hate how much I love the new record. I always want to be able to dismiss Farmer John Misery because his persona is so grating, but damned if he doesn't make excellent music.

^ yay!!!! Haha. I love this!