Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Awards" Season 2017/2018

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar

"Awards" Season 2017/2018

I hope I'm not stepping on anyone's toes starting this so early, but we always get so excited for the movie awards we ignore the Emmys and they're pretty important too. I feel they start the whole season, even if they're a few months before the rest. They kind of set the tone until the Oscars are done. Set the clothing trends, the bar to which hosts will be measured. The kinds of jokes that don't go over well, the underdog stories that are going to succeed.

Emmy Nominations 2018: The Complete List Of Nominees

Nothing too shocking, but I'm a little surprised by all the ACS: Versace love. The non-acting awards seem to be (again) mostly white dudes, but in most of the acting categories, there are multiple actors of color nominated in every category, not just one per category. It's not enough, but it's refreshing that it's getting better.

My favorite nominations are:

Outstanding lead actor in a comedy series
    Ted Danson (The Good Place)
    Larry David (Curb Your Enthusiasm)

I would love to see that become a Curb episode.

My favorite unexpected nom is:

Outstanding lead actor in a limited series or movie
    Jesse Plemons (USS Callister: Black Mirror)

And probably winner that gives me the sads:

Outstanding informational series or special
    Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown (CNN)

Quote Originally Posted by Regina Phalange View Post
    My favorite unexpected nom is:

Outstanding lead actor in a limited series or movie
    Jesse Plemons (USS Callister: Black Mirror)
    Agreed but Cristin Milioti was robbed for the same episode

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    I'm just now really going over the list and I'm extremely happy to see that some categories have up to 8 nominees.
    This is smart. If you want to increase viewership to these awards shows which is dipping at horrible rates every year.. then including more people (stars)/and probably adding even more diversity seems like a smart way to go about it.

I have to say all the love that Versace got was something I was happy to see. I wanted that to happen but I didn't think it would.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

Alt Universe CliqueMember Spikey's Avatar
    my three fav nominations are;

Outstanding limited series;
    The Alienist

Outstanding lead in drama series;
    Sandra Oh (Killing Eve)

Outstanding lead actress in comedy series;
    Lily Tomlin (Grace & Frankie)
    "Replies are a combination of nonsense, unrelated comments and inside jokes"‎

I’m rooting for Yvonne Strahovski to win her category. She plays Serena Joy so well.

I'm so glad I made this thread.

I dreamt last night I was nominated for something, probably an Oscar. Best supporting actress. I got to hang out with Glenn Close.

I read that Sandra Oh was the first Asian woman to be a nominee in a best actress emmy category. Good for her, but jfc it's 2018. And I read that Modern Family was almost entirely shut out. Super weird because the Emmys really like to reward the same show/person year after year. The best part is when a show is over and the following year you can see who takes over. Otherwise it's like *yawn* Julia Louis Dreyfuss again.

A Matter Of How You See It Kala's Avatar
    I don't watch TV much but I am happy to see that "Intervention" has been nominated. I am up to date on all seasons after I began streaming it in April. The show has influenced my perception of our country's drug culture and how we treat addiction. Mad respect to all the interventionists (especially gravelly voiced Ken) as they are all recovering addicts who decided to educate themselves on how to help others. Of course the primary focus of the series is in its entertainment value but the audience can garner a lot of information about what to do if a relative or friend is struggling with alcohol and/or drug abuse and know that they are not alone. Unfortunately detox and rehab are not cheap and availability is limited and that needs to change.

I've always enjoyed watching Intervention. It's definitely eye-opening. I think teenagers should be made to watch it, so that they aren't in the mindset that drugs are all fun and games. They have consequences.

Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    I want Keri Russell, Matthew Rhys, and The Americans to sweep in every category they're nominated. But Keri Russell especially. God. She's amazing in the show and has never one before. It's also the last season, AND she's amazing in every episode.

Aidy Bryant for SNL/Comedy series supporting actress. She's delightfully funny, and criminally underappreciated (as is Vanessa Bayer.) I'll be so happy for AB if she wins

^I just started watching the Americans on Amazon Prime in a real.. from season one trying to understand it kinda way. lol ITS SO GOOD
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    ^ It's unbelievably good. I've never loved a show like this before -- but it's really amazing, isn't it? I'm on a total kick, having recently discovered it myself. And seriously, Keri Russell is really something else.

^I feel so badly for them because just when they finish one assignment the stakes seem to get risen even higher. (Give them a fn break, Russia!)
    And yes, Keri Russell.. my goodness isn't she one of the most perfect looking human beings you've ever seen? She's flawless, statuesque.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

We're off to a hell of a start

After taking home the Outstanding Variety Special (Live) award for his work as a producer on Jesus Christ Superstar Live in Concert at the Creative Arts Emmys Sunday night (Sept. 9), John Legend has officially completed his EGOT -- making him the youngest person to do so.

Legend now joins the select ranks of performers who have taken home an Emmy, a Grammy, an Oscar and a Tony. Andrew Lloyd Webber and Tim Rice, who won alongside Legend in the same category, also became EGOT winners with the award, making the three just the 13th, 14th and 15th performers to reach the milestone achievement.
    The four guest actor/actress winners were all POC. First time it was a non-white sweep.

Regular primetime emmys this coming sunday

^I'm going to be watching this year. Rooting for Nikolaj Coster-Waldau for GOT.

Quote Originally Posted by Regina Phalange View Post
    We're off to a hell of a start

The four guest actor/actress winners were all POC. First time it was a non-white sweep.

Regular primetime emmys this coming sunday
    If an admin could change this thread over to 2018/2019 would you be ok with that? So that we don't have to start a new thread. Actually, I'm not really that worried about semantics but I think this thread should carry on for all tv and the upcoming film nominations/awards.

We got Emmys, Venice, TIFF, and soon the Gothams will start sending out their bulletins. Also LA Film Festival is in 10 days.

So far all the early buzz in films:
    * First Man - Starring Ryan Gosling as Neil Armstrong - Apparently the film that Damien Chazelle has been wanting to make all his life.
    * Roma - One of the best reviewed films from any of the film festivals and directed by Alfonso Curon.
    * The Favorite - A good ole dark-comedy period piece. This costume drama appears to have a lot of bite to it and may be the Best Actress front runner: Olivia Coleman
    * The Front Runner and Backseat - both based on true/real political events. Hugh Jackman and Christian Bale respectively.
    * A Star is Born - getting phenomenal press.
    * BlacKkKlansman - Spike Lee's latest which is getting significant buzz.
    * Boy Erased and another film Beautiful Boy - both dealing with teenage boys dealing with severe trauma.
    Last edited by Volta; 09-11-2018 at 01:08 AM.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.