Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Awards Season 2017/2018

Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sleeptheclock View Post
    Matthew Rhys won tonight, I thought?
    You are right, somehow I missed that. AWESOME!!!!

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Regina Phalange View Post
    Their ratings are dropping, but so is like... everything? Including football. Seriously, I think the only thing increasing in ratings lately is Rachel Maddow. So maybe the networks are overpaying for prestige awards shows. Or spending too much to produce it. Or expecting 80s Billy Crystal level of viewership. Having realistic expectations and not overpaying is a better strategy.

Plus the people who watch aren't the "real" viewers networks want. AKA: not enough straight white men of a certain age.
    Yes. Across the board people are watching less television.. especially network television. Conservatives say it's because of liberal Hollywood.
    I think there are so many factors. Most of the people who used to sit down as a family and watch 2-4 hours of television a night now don't have enough hours in the day. People just have so much going on and very little time to do it.
    And we thought all the modern appliances would give families more time during the day.
    Last edited by Volta; 09-19-2018 at 03:09 AM.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

Their going to campaign for Olivia Coleman in supporting??? wow. I wonder if they'll put Emma Stone or Rachel Weisz in leading actress category then?
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

I'm really hoping that Toni Collette gets a nomination for "Hereditary"-- her performance is a powerhouse. That scene at the dinner table is worthy of all the awards. The problem is that Hereditary is a horror film, and Oscar voters may not see it based on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve SFM View Post

You heard it here first: A Star Is Born for Best Picture. That thing is crushing everything in its path. Plus, it’ll be a huge hit, so no need for that goddamned Popular Film thing. Jesus, what a shitty idea.
    Why don't we at least, I don't know, SEE it first? Gaga's acting in the previews doesn't look like anything special to me, but maybe she'll surprise. It clearly has a massive marketing campaign behind it. That doesn't necessarily mean it's a great film. Same with all the other movies that haven't been released yet. All we're doing is getting caught up in reviews and marketing campaigns. The current trend of announcing which films are gonna be the Oscar films ahead of time has done nothing but denigrate the award.

The best movie I've seen this year is You Were Never Really Here, which I'm sure will get nothing, since it has pretty much no campaign behind it. Joaquin Phoenix was fantastic.

Toni Collette is my fave out of the female performances I've seen so far, and she deserves a nomination, but I find the awards becoming less and less relevant with each passing year.
    Last edited by Adirondak; 09-22-2018 at 04:01 PM.

Does anyone know if ROMA is going to be released on Netflix concurrent with a theatrical release? Google is not helping me. The last article I could find was dated back in August. GoldDerby had a video where they said Roma would be out on Netflix while also out at theaters.. but they didn't say when. Ahhhhh All they did say was that Netflix has decided to be as aggressive with Roma in theaters as it is with promoting it on streaming????? wtf?
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.