Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Awards Season 2017/2018

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Volta View Post
    If an admin could change this thread over to 2018/2019 would you be ok with that? So that we don't have to start a new thread. Actually, I'm not really that worried about semantics but I think this thread should carry on for all tv and the upcoming film nominations/awards.
    I am pretty sure I meant to write 18/19 but I apparently forgot what year it actually is.

Ok so the Emmys aren't on tonight. Crazy, huh? It's always Sunday. It's on tomorrow. Why? Fucking football? Experimentation? I don't know and I don't like it. Grrr.

Maybe that's why I put the title as 17/18 (and I dont' care what the title is) because it's 17/18 tv season while at the same time being 18/19 movie season?

* A Star is Born - getting phenomenal press.
    I have a sense that Gaga is going to win Best Actress this year. Just a feeling.

I was also confused by the Emmys not being on tonight! I prefer them on a Sunday.

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    There trying to see if they can get more ratings on a week night. They have to do something to change it up. Awards shows are doing so poorly in the ratings we might see a time when the only shows that get primetime slots are just Grammys and Oscars.
    People have already been tossing around ideas that some shows might do better being broadcasted online. Who knows.

Sleeptheclock,
    I've had emails with some GoldDerby folk in a blatant effort to try to be a part of their "aftershow streaming team." And most of the people I've talked to said (well, not this year for me - a guy can dream) and the academy is primed up to give it to Glenn Close... except most films like THE WIFE that are released in August don't really factor in.
    A Mighty Heart with Angelina Jolie had massive Oscar buzz for her.. but they released it in August and...

There is that idea that THE WIFE would be on DVD and VOD by then and much more accessible, giving her a second if not first Oscar push. Although, The Wife is doing very well in the markets and cinemas they have put it in.

Gaga will be nominated. Even at this early stage I'd wager a lot on that. People who've seen the movie say it's just too good.
    Last edited by Volta; 09-17-2018 at 05:45 AM.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

There trying to see if they can get more ratings on a week night. They have to do something to change it up. Awards shows are doing so poorly in the ratings we might see a time when the only shows that get primetime slots are just Grammys and Oscars.
    People have already been tossing around ideas that some shows might do better being broadcasted online. Who knows.
    Their ratings are dropping, but so is like... everything? Including football. Seriously, I think the only thing increasing in ratings lately is Rachel Maddow. So maybe the networks are overpaying for prestige awards shows. Or spending too much to produce it. Or expecting 80s Billy Crystal level of viewership. Having realistic expectations and not overpaying is a better strategy.

Plus the people who watch aren't the "real" viewers networks want. AKA: not enough straight white men of a certain age.

omfg this lady has WON tonight and it has barely started

If they keep showing Anthony Anderson as some paragon of diversity and not as emblematic of all the creepers who get away with assaulting women, I might have to throw something at my tv.

It's really bringing me down from wanting to sob with joy for Henry Winkler.

Quote Originally Posted by Regina Phalange View Post
    omfg this lady has WON tonight and it has barely started
    Hmm. I spoke too soon. And that's good. We need happy fun things that make me sob uncontrollably all night long

Like this writing winner who lost his mother two weeks ago and proposed to his girlfriend.

That guy fucking owns everything.

You heard it here first: A Star Is Born for Best Picture. That thing is crushing everything in its path. Plus, it’ll be a huge hit, so no need for that goddamned Popular Film thing. Jesus, what a shitty idea.
    At my core, I think we're gonna be OK.

Barack Hussein Obama

That said, I understand that Rosamund Pike is in the running. She should win. Because I love her. Always have, since the goddamned Bond movie.

Not that I’m objecting, but when did Claire Foy take over the world?

Barack Hussein Obama

Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    GAH! 100% snub to Kerri Russell and Matthew Rhys for the entire run of The Americans. I can't wrap my head around it. They were SO FUCKING GREAT in that series. Her especially for the last and final season of the show, Lame.

The Best Actress category is CROWDED this year ... you have Lady Gaga, Glenn Close (The Wife), Melissa McCarthy (Can You Ever Forgive Me?), Olivia Coleman (who is getting raves for The Favorite, but might go supporting), Julia Roberts (Ben is Back), Nicole Kidman (Destroyer), Yalitza Aparicio (Roma), Natalie Portman (Vox Lux), and now Rosamund Pike (A Private War). Each of these women are getting to-die-for reviews. I think it's really cool that we're seeing all of these films with great female leads.

I think Gaga stands the best chance since I imagine A Star is Born will be a big hit, and the other films are either boutique-ish art-house fare that are unlikely to be widely seen, or the films themselves are somewhat divisive. Glenn Close is considered way overdue, but the release date of her film won't help, and are enough people going to see it?

And I agree that A Star is Born seems primed to win Best Picture.

Quote Originally Posted by grapefruit_is_winning View Post
    GAH! 100% snub to Kerri Russell and Matthew Rhys for the entire run of The Americans. I can't wrap my head around it. They were SO FUCKING GREAT in that series. Her especially for the last and final season of the show, Lame.
    Matthew Rhys won tonight, I thought?

Yeah, he did.

I think that popularity is a bigger advantage in Best Picture than in Best Actress. That said, it’s still September, and who knows? Gaga may just run over everyone. I still think that veterans like Close and Pike have to be seen as favorites for now. But we’ll see.

I think there’s a wild card here, though. I saw this extraordinary young actress named Raffey Cassidy in The Killing of a Sacred Deer last year. She has a very interesting role in Vox Lux, which I won’t reveal the nature of because it’s a bit spoilery. But it sounds like she, not Portman, may be the true lead there. Of course, Cassidy is only 16, and we all know that kids often get shoved into Supporting even if they’re the real lead. But whatever; it’d be neat if she got a nod in either category.

Barack Hussein Obama

Other than Henry Winkler, most of the winners fell on the scale with endpoints "Really? REALLY? Please," and "Meh," for me. I think the highlights were Hannah Gadsby, Chapelle and Brennan. I liked that there weren't a lot of really drawn out bits because all but the "Reparations Emmy" fell flat to some degree. I get that the two hosts were SNL cast members, but then the whole night was SNL cast members. If you're looking to hook into a younger demo to get better ratings, better buzz, why is Will Ferrell giving out awards? Do a lot of under 25s know him from anything besides Elf and Lord Business? Ben Stiller? Patricia Arquette? What the fuck does Michael Douglas have to do with tv in 2018? I'm not saying none of those people have a place ever in a tv awards show, but it was striking how *gray* the presenters were. At least Will Ferrell and Betty White were clearly long-term tv stars, but Ben Stiller really had one short show in the 90s. That wasn't last decade. Where was the cast of Riverdale or something else that people who can't rent cars watch? I mean, I personally didn't necessarily have a problem with them all being there (and I know who these people are, not teen drama stars), but I don't see how it cultivates a new audience.

Also, my pet peeve is presenters who do not practice the names of nominees before they get on stage. You're ACTORS. Rehearse your damn lines. There were several butchered names last night and that's really insulting. You mostly have 5-10 names per category. Your job is to say words correctly. Learn them. You probably walk around your set telling the peons not to make eye contact with you, respect your colleagues at least and don't be like "What is this fucking name?" when you have to read it. You will always have to read it. You will never announce "Smith." And if you do it'll be "Sm-eye-th".

Anyway, I was glad there was a variety in winners for the most part. There are some ruts but it wasn't entirely predictable. They weren't my personal choices, but seeing the same shows and same actors every time is boring.

The horse in the hospital bit is fantastic and is a great metaphor, but I did prefer Patton and Michelle's It's Chaos, Be Kind. I love that they can't resist making fun of themselves. And Mulaney gave a great speech, whereas Patton would have made me cry again.