Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: "Awards" Season 2017/2018

Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sleeptheclock View Post
    Matthew Rhys won tonight, I thought?
    You are right, somehow I missed that. AWESOME!!!!

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Regina Phalange View Post
    Their ratings are dropping, but so is like... everything? Including football. Seriously, I think the only thing increasing in ratings lately is Rachel Maddow. So maybe the networks are overpaying for prestige awards shows. Or spending too much to produce it. Or expecting 80s Billy Crystal level of viewership. Having realistic expectations and not overpaying is a better strategy.

Plus the people who watch aren't the "real" viewers networks want. AKA: not enough straight white men of a certain age.
    Yes. Across the board people are watching less television.. especially network television. Conservatives say it's because of liberal Hollywood.
    I think there are so many factors. Most of the people who used to sit down as a family and watch 2-4 hours of television a night now don't have enough hours in the day. People just have so much going on and very little time to do it.
    And we thought all the modern appliances would give families more time during the day.
    Last edited by Volta; 09-19-2018 at 04:09 AM.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

Their going to campaign for Olivia Coleman in supporting??? wow. I wonder if they'll put Emma Stone or Rachel Weisz in leading actress category then?
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

I'm really hoping that Toni Collette gets a nomination for "Hereditary"-- her performance is a powerhouse. That scene at the dinner table is worthy of all the awards. The problem is that Hereditary is a horror film, and Oscar voters may not see it based on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve SFM View Post

You heard it here first: A Star Is Born for Best Picture. That thing is crushing everything in its path. Plus, it’ll be a huge hit, so no need for that goddamned Popular Film thing. Jesus, what a shitty idea.
    Why don't we at least, I don't know, SEE it first? Gaga's acting in the previews doesn't look like anything special to me, but maybe she'll surprise. It clearly has a massive marketing campaign behind it. That doesn't necessarily mean it's a great film. Same with all the other movies that haven't been released yet. All we're doing is getting caught up in reviews and marketing campaigns. The current trend of announcing which films are gonna be the Oscar films ahead of time has done nothing but denigrate the award.

The best movie I've seen this year is You Were Never Really Here, which I'm sure will get nothing, since it has pretty much no campaign behind it. Joaquin Phoenix was fantastic.

Toni Collette is my fave out of the female performances I've seen so far, and she deserves a nomination, but I find the awards becoming less and less relevant with each passing year.
    Last edited by Adirondak; 09-22-2018 at 05:01 PM.

Does anyone know if ROMA is going to be released on Netflix concurrent with a theatrical release? Google is not helping me. The last article I could find was dated back in August. GoldDerby had a video where they said Roma would be out on Netflix while also out at theaters.. but they didn't say when. Ahhhhh All they did say was that Netflix has decided to be as aggressive with Roma in theaters as it is with promoting it on streaming????? wtf?
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

So just kind of wanting to talk about where you all are at as far as who you think is going to nominated at Globes, SAGS, Bafta, Oscars, IndySpirit...

Right now I'd like to put a big spot like on Chalamet and Lucas Hedges. Particularly how they both could be nominated in the same category in similar films. Chalamet in Beautiful Boy and Lucas Hedges in Ben is Back (although it's more likely Hedges will be nominated for Boy Erased if a nomination comes his way at all.)
    I hope they don't cancel each other out and I hope they have careers that last many decades.
    I think Chalamet is a lock for a supporting nomination in everything but the Spirit Awards and I think Hedges will definitely get in for Ben is Back at the Spirit Awards. We'll see.

Then we have Nicole Kidman who seems to be getting these amazing roles, better roles than she's ever had in this next chapter of her life. Boy Erased where people are really thinking she is getting nominated.. particularly at BAFTA. And Destroyer which critics are not at all dismissing.
    The problem with her at the Globes is that Drama is so heavy with Gaga not entering the Musical/Comedy Actress section.. I mean, I very much doubt anyone in comedy will get into the Best Actress race come Oscar. I mean, Olivia Coleman might if that's where they place her. It's a very dark comedy from what I understand. I don't know. Melissa McCarthy is going to be placed in Drama as well?
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

Independent Spirit Award Nominations 2019

BEST FEATURE

EIGHTH GRADE
    Producers: Eli Bush, Scott Rudin, Christopher Storer, Lila Yacoub

FIRST REFORMED
    Producers: Jack Binder, Greg Clark, Gary Hamilton, Victoria Hill, David Hinojosa, Frank Murray, Deepak Sikka, Christine Vachon

IF BEALE STREET COULD TALK
    Producers: Dede Gardner, Barry Jenkins, Jeremy Kleiner, Sara Murphy, Adele Romanski

LEAVE NO TRACE
    Producers: Anne Harrison, Linda Reisman, Anne Rosellini

YOU WERE NEVER REALLY HERE
    Producers: Rosa Attab, Pascal Caucheteux, Rebecca O’Brien, Lynne Ramsay, James Wilson

(Award given to the producer)

BEST FIRST FEATURE

HEREDITARY
    Director: Ari Aster

Producers: Kevin Frakes, Lars Knudsen, Buddy Patrick

SORRY TO BOTHER YOU
    Director: Boots Riley

Producers: Nina Yang Bongiovi, Jonathan Duffy, Charles D. King, George Rush, Forest Whitaker, Kelly Williams

THE TALE
    Director/Producer: Jennifer Fox

Producers: Sol Bondy, Lawrence Inglee, Mynette Louie, Oren Moverman, Simone Pero, Reka Posta, Laura Rister, Regina K. Scully, Lynda Weinman

WE THE ANIMALS
    Director: Jeremiah Zagar

Producers: Andrew Goldman, Christina D. King, Paul Mezey, Jeremy Yaches

WILDLIFE
    Director/Producer: Paul Dano

Producers: Andrew Duncan, Jake Gyllenhaal, Riva Marker, Oren Moverman, Ann Ruark, Alex Saks

(Award given to the producer and director)

BEST DIRECTOR

Paul Schrader, First Reformed

Barry Jenkins, If Beale Street Could Talk

Debra Granik, Leave No Trace

Tamara Jenkins, Private Life

Lynne Ramsay, You Were Never Really Here

BEST SCREENPLAY

Nicole Holofcener, Jeff Whitty, Can You Ever Forgive Me?

Richard Glatzer (writer, story by), Rebecca Lenkiewicz, Wash Westmoreland, Colette

Paul Schrader, First Reformed

Tamara Jenkins, Private Life

Boots Riley, Sorry to Bother You

BEST FIRST SCREENPLAY

Quinn Shephard (writer, story by), Laurie Shephard (story by), Blame

Bo Burnham, Eighth Grade

Christina Choe, Nancy

Jennifer Fox, The Tale

Cory Finley, Thoroughbreds

JOHN CASSAVETES AWARD

A BREAD FACTORY
    Writer/Director/Producer: Patrick Wang

Producers: Daryl Freimark, Matt Miller

EN EL SÉPTIMO DÍA
    Writer/Director/Producer: Jim McKay

Producers: Alex Bach, Lindsey Cordero, Caroline Kaplan, Michael Stipe

NEVER GOIN’ BACK
    Writer/Director: Augustine Frizzell

Producers: Liz Cardenas, Toby Halbrooks, James M. Johnston

SÓCRATES
    Writer/Director/Producer: Alex Moratto

Writer: Thayná Mantesso

Producers: Ramin Bahrani, Jefferson Paulino, Tammy Weiss

THUNDER ROAD
    Writer/Director: Jim Cummings

Producers: Natalie Metzger, Zack Parker, Benjamin Weissner

(Award given to the best feature made for under $500,000; given to the writer, director and producer)

BEST MALE LEAD

Daveed Diggs, Blindspotting

Ethan Hawke, First Reformed

John Cho, Searching

Christian Malheiros, Sócrates

Joaquin Phoenix, You Were Never Really Here

BEST FEMALE LEAD

Elsie Fisher, Eighth Grade

Toni Collette, Hereditary

Helena Howard, Madeline’s Madeline

Regina Hall, Support the Girls

Glenn Close, The Wife

Carey Mulligan, Wildlife

BEST SUPPORTING MALE

Adam Driver, BLACKkKLANSMAN

Richard E. Grant, Can You Ever Forgive Me?

Josh Hamilton, Eighth Grade

John David Washington, Monsters and Men

Raúl Castillo, We the Animals

BEST SUPPORTING FEMALE

Tyne Daly, A Bread Factory

Regina King, If Beale Street Could Talk

Thomasin Harcourt McKenzie, Leave No Trace

J. Smith-Cameron, Nancy

Kayli Carter, Private Life

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY

Ashley Connor, Madeline’s Madeline

Benjamin Loeb, Mandy

Sayombhu Mukdeeprom, Suspiria

Zak Mulligan, We the Animals

Diego Garcia, Wildlife

BEST EDITING

Luke Dunkley, Nick Fenton, Chris Gill, Julian Hart, American Animals

Nick Houy, Mid90s

Anne Fabini, Alex Hall, Gary Levy, The Tale

Keiko Deguchi, Brian A. Kates, Jeremiah Zagar, We the Animals

Joe Bini, You Were Never Really Here

BEST INTERNATIONAL FILM

BURNING (South Korea)
    Director: Lee Chang-Dong

HAPPY AS LAZZARO (Italy)
    Director: Alice Rohrwacher

ROMA (Mexico)
    Director: Alfonso Cuarón

SHOPLIFTERS (Japan)
    Director: Kore-eda Hirokazu

THE FAVOURITE (United Kingdom)
    Director: Yorgos Lanthimos

BEST DOCUMENTARY

HALE COUNTY THIS MORNING, THIS EVENING
    Director/Producer: RaMell Ross

Producer: Joslyn Barnes, Su Kim

MINDING THE GAP
    Director/Producer: Bing Liu

Producer: Diane Quon

OF FATHERS AND SONS
    Director: Talal Derki

Producers: Hans Robert Eisenhauer, Ansgar Frerich, Eva Kemme, Tobias N. Siebert

ON HER SHOULDERS
    Director: Alexandria Bombach

Producers: Hayley Pappas, Brock Williams

SHIRKERS
    Director/Producer: Sandi Tan

Producers: Jessica Levin, Maya Rudolph

WON’T YOU BE MY NEIGHBOR?
    Director/Producer: Morgan Neville

Producer: Caryn Capotosto, Nicholas Ma

(Award given to the director and producer)

ROBERT ALTMAN AWARD
    SUSPIRIA
    Director: Luca Guadagnino

Casting Directors: Avy Kaufman, Stella Savino

Ensemble Cast: Malgosia Bela, Ingrid Caven, Lutz Ebersdorf, Elena Fokina, Mia Goth, Jessica Harper, Dakota Johnson, Gala Moody, Chloë Grace Moretz, Renée Soutendijk, Tilda Swinton, Sylvie Testud, Angela Winkler

(Award given to one film’s director, casting director and ensemble cast)

BONNIE AWARD SPONSORED BY AMERICAN AIRLINES
    Karyn Kusama

Tamara Jenkins

Debra Granik

(Bonnie Tiburzi Caputo joined American Airlines in 1973 at age 24, becoming the first female pilot to fly for a major U.S. airline. In her honor, the second annual Bonnie Award will recognize a mid-career female director with a $50,000 unrestricted grant, sponsored by American Airlines.)

PRODUCERS AWARD
    Jonathan Duffy and Kelly Williams

Gabrielle Nadig

Shrihari Sathe

(The Producers Award, now in its 22nd year, honors emerging producers who, despite highly limited resources demonstrate the creativity, tenacity and vision required to produce quality, independent films. The award includes a $25,000 unrestricted grant.)

SOMEONE TO WATCH AWARD

LEMONADE
    Director: Ioana Uricaru

SÓCRATES
    Director: Alex Moratto

WE THE ANIMALS
    Director: Jeremiah Zagar

(The Someone to Watch Award, now in its 25th year, recognizes a talented filmmaker of singular vision who has not yet received appropriate recognition. The award includes a $25,000 unrestricted.)

TRUER THAN FICTION AWARD

HALE COUNTY THIS MORNING, THIS EVENING
    Director: RaMell Ross

MINDING THE GAP
    Director: Bing Liu

ON HER SHOULDERS
    Director: Alexandria Bombach

(The Truer Than Fiction Award, now in its 24th year, is presented to an emerging director of non-fiction features who has not yet received significant recognition. The award includes a $25,000 unrestricted grant.)
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

The Spirit Awards have come out with their nominations. I feel like the race to the Oscars starts to get its shape right around now.

This list has really confirmed Glenn Close and her chances. Regina King and her chances to certainly be nominated if not the overall fav in Supporting. And even just looking at the Foreign Films nominated.. bodes well for Roma and The Favourite. Documentaries too.

I didn't put spoilers on it.. I will for all the future nominations. Just wanted people to see how these things look.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

I don’t know how I was unsubscribed from this thread, but it happens.

OK, first thing. THOMASIN MCKENZIE IS THE FUCKING LEAD IN LEAVE NO TRACE!!! Shit, I thought only the first tier awards did that thing of putting younger actors in Supporting no matter how big their part is. What’s weird is the girl from Eighth Grade, who’s several years younger than Thomasin (who turned 18 a few months ago), but she got in Lead. Oh, well, I’m glad she got something, because she’s fucking amazing. Such a quiet, focused performance. Anyway, nice to see some love for that film and for You Were Never Really Here. Two marvelous movies.

A lot of people seem to be on Team Toni this year. I’m on Team Rosamund. No, I haven’t seen A Private War yet; my new city is kind of a vast wasteland as far as prestige movies go. But, you know, ROSAMUND PIKE. That was a love at first sight thing. She’s been so fucking good for awhile now and, well, she’s gorgeous and I wuv her.

Has anyone heard of a documentary called Bisbee ‘17? It wasn’t nominated here, but it was at the Gotham Awards (which is tomorrow night). It’s based on a nasty historical event in Bisbee, AZ a century ago, and apparently, Bisbee residents play the 1917 folks in re-enactments of that time, which still haunts the town. It sounds absolutely fascinating.

Awards Season is the Most Wonderful Time of the Year. I shan’t be unsubbed again.
    At my core, I think we're gonna be OK.

Barack Hussein Obama

^It is the most wonderful time of the year! I haven't seen or heard of those films: Leave No Trace and You Were Never Really Here until I saw the list.
    I also haven't seen A Private War but I love Pike as much as you do and then I just became intrigued by Marie Colvin. I had never heard of her before so when you see these movie trailers and previews with this woman running around with an eye patch in war zones and then it says based on the real life of war correspondent Marie Colvin. I've been reading her collected works in a book I bought on my Kindle for $3.99. It has a forward written by her sister. And of course I have watched all the interviews youtube has with Marie Colvin. Problem is.. there aren't many. I thought their would be so much more. Which actually speaks to her work ethic. This was a person on the move. She gave a great series of interviews in black and white for some sort of archive.
    My impression of her was that she really was not in it for any kind of accolades and the reason she didn't do more sit downs was because she was so busy doing all the interviewing.. while also be shot and shelled at.

National Board of Review Winners:

Gotham Award Winners:
    Best Feature - The Rider, Chloé Zhao, director (Sony Pictures Classics)
    Best Documentary - Hale County This Morning, This Evening, RaMell Ross, director (The Cinema Guild)
    Bingham Ray Breakthrough Director Award - Bo Burnham for Eighth Grade (A24)
    Best Screenplay - First Reformed, Paul Schrader (A24)
    Best Actor - Ethan Hawke in First Reformed (A24)
    Best Actress - Toni Collette in Hereditary (A24)
    Breakthrough Actor - Elsie Fisher in Eighth Grade (A24)
    Ensemble - The 2018 Best Actress nominating committee also voted to award a special Gotham Jury Award to Olivia Colman, Emma Stone, and Rachel Weisz for their ensemble performance in The Favourite (Fox Searchlight Pictures).
    Last edited by Volta; 11-28-2018 at 01:00 AM.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

So here is the list of TOP FILMS from The National Board of Review. Very interesting what was left off.

Top Films (in alphabetical order)
    The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
    Black Panther
    Can You Ever Forgive Me?
    Eighth Grade
    First Reformed
    If Beale Street Could Talk
    Mary Poppins Returns
    A Quiet Place
    Roma
    A Star Is Born

Top 5 Foreign Language Films (in alphabetical order)
    Burning
    Custody
    The Guilty
    Happy as Lazzaro
    Shoplifters

Top 5 Documentaries (in alphabetical order)
    Crime + Punishment
    Free Solo
    Minding the Gap
    Three Identical Strangers
    Won’t You Be My Neighbor?

Top 10 Independent Films (in alphabetical order)
    The Death of Stalin
    Lean on Pete
    Leave No Trace
    Mid90s
    The Old Man & the Gun
    The Rider
    Searching
    Sorry to Bother You
    We the Animals
    You Were Never Really Here

They did not list The Favourite, Green Book, Widows, First Man or Beautiful Boy, Boy Erased.
    They did list A Quiet Place and Can You Ever Forgive Me. And of course A Star is Born. I'm excited by this because the thought was A Star is Born would need to take some critics awards to fend off films like Roma and The Favourite. It's also really cool to see CYEFM? because this is the little movie that I think could get in the picture race and could get Melissa McCarthy a best actress win. We shall see.

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs being listed as a top film of 2018?? Hahaha. Ok. Those Coen brothers are never ever completely left out.
    Last edited by Volta; 11-28-2018 at 01:13 AM.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

New York Film Critics Awards were announced this morning.

Best Film: Roma

Best Director: Alfonso Cuarón – Roma

Best Actor: Ethan Hawke – First Reformed

Best Actress: Regina Hall – Support the Girls

Best Supporting Actor: Richard E. Grant – Can You Ever Forgive Me?

Best Supporting Actress: Regina King – If Beale Street Could Talk

Best Screenplay: Paul Schrader – First Reformed

Best Cinematography: Alfonso Cuarón – Roma

Best Foreign Language Film: Pawel Pawlikowski – Cold War

Best Documentary: Bing Liu – Minding the Gap

Best Animated Film: Bob Persichetti, Peter Ramsey, Rodney Rothman – Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

Best First Film: Bo Burnham – Eighth Grade

Special Awards: David Schwartz, Kino Classics Box Set Pioneers: First Women Filmmakers
    Last edited by Volta; 11-30-2018 at 04:55 PM.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

Alt Universe CliqueMember Spikey's Avatar
    Regina Hall? That is just amazing.
    "Replies are a combination of nonsense, unrelated comments and inside jokes"‎

There’s been a lot of love so far for First Reformed. Didn’t see that coming.

Roma has been getting love too. Probably because Cuaron is God.
    At my core, I think we're gonna be OK.

Barack Hussein Obama