Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: "Awards" Season 2017/2018

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    I went to bed with an Oscar host and I woke up with none?

I am not a big (no pun intended) Kevin Hart fan, but I thought he'd have done reasonably well and a breath of fresh air for bringing a different take. But man, he could not just say "Look, I'm a comedian. I make jokes about things that I don't necessarily believe. And things I thought years ago don't reflect the changes I've undergone as I've grown older and wiser. I'm sorry my old words hurt people and hope people give me a chance to see my current words aren't the same." Homophobia's bad, but LYING about it while exhibiting it doesn't make it better.

Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    I'm totally with you @sleeptheclock on A Star Is Born. I truly enjoyed the movie and am thrilled that it's been such a mega success for Gaga, and I will watch it again when it streams, but none of the performances or the movie itself seem Oscar worthy to me... and certainly not OMG GIVE IT EVERY OSCAR worthy. If it had come out the year that Arrival, Moonlight, Manchester by the Sea, and Hidden Figures came out, I have to think it wouldn't be such a heavyweight Oscar contender.
    @Regina Phalange - I agree. He should have just apologized, clearly and firmly. I can look past his past, but dude, don't be thick.

I’m not a Hart fan, but the whole thing is weird to me. I don’t see why folks like him aren’t more forthright, true, but I also think that people have to realize that people change. I’m a big fan of atoning for the past (a big deal in AA), and we need to get past this “people never change” bullshit.

I have Amazon Prime now, and Eighth Grade and Blackkklansman are both available, so I need to get on that. I live in a smaller city now, so Oscar bait is less accessible now, but I can get to some stuff.
    At my core, I think we're gonna be OK.

Barack Hussein Obama

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    ^Kevin Hart wasn't even their 2nd or 3rd choice to host The Oscars. Apparently, no one wants to host it because it's not very much pay, not very many ratings, you work 3 months on it and the last few years the hosts have been heavily criticized for not being very good and not really needed.

Oh, It breaks my heart you all don't think more of A Star is Born. I'm completely Gaga for it. I can't wait for the DVD!
    For me it's A Star is Born followed by Widows as my best pics.. but I haven't seen The Favourite or Green Book yet. ROMA will be on Netflix on the 14th but they say it's a movie you should see on the big screen. Sucks that it never came to Louisville as I pretty much love the idea of the film and of course Alfonso is one of the best directors ever ever ever.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve SFM View Post
    I’m not a Hart fan, but the whole thing is weird to me. I don’t see why folks like him aren’t more forthright, true, but I also think that people have to realize that people change. I’m a big fan of atoning for the past (a big deal in AA), and we need to get past this “people never change” bullshit.

I have Amazon Prime now, and Eighth Grade and Blackkklansman are both available, so I need to get on that. I live in a smaller city now, so Oscar bait is less accessible now, but I can get to some stuff.
    Eighth Grade and Blackkklansman are Prime Movies? I looked and they were for rent. I need to look again.
    Last edited by Volta; 12-07-2018 at 09:10 PM.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

Sad seeing You Were Never Really here and First Reformed being generally snubbed, although they weren’t released during prime awards season. I thought both were much better than all the Best Picture nomineesthat ive seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Volta View Post
    Eighth Grade and Blackkklansman are Prime Movies? I looked and they were for rent. I need to look again.
    Yeah, they are for rent. Apologies. But four bucks apiece is doable. Tully is also there; same deal. I need to see that too, because Young Adult is one of my favorite movies of this decade.

Barack Hussein Obama

Quote Originally Posted by Steve SFM View Post
    I need to see that too, because Young Adult is one of my favorite movies of this decade.
    I really loved most of it, until the last ten minutes which are one of the most baffling tonal shifts I've ever seen in a movie. No spoilers here, but it's completely unnecessary.

FILM NOMINATIONS FOR THE 24TH ANNUAL CRITICS’ CHOICE AWARDS
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

Well, I am thankful that Ethan Hawke and First Reformed are back in the race. Sad that Viola and Rosamund couldn't get in.
    in a couple days the SAGS will come out and that will be the most telling of all the precursors. I'm afraid if Julia Roberts, Willem Dafoe, Ethan.. don't get nominated that's that. I am sure Nicole Kidman is in but for which film? That will be exciting for me as a superfan.
    And I am really excited to see where the SAGS go as far as Ensemble because they won't be nominating up to 10 films like everyone else.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar

maybe she should host the oscars too

Quote Originally Posted by Volta View Post
    FILM NOMINATIONS FOR THE 24TH ANNUAL CRITICS’ CHOICE AWARDS
    So many nominations for Roma Pretty well deserved.

I was gonna say that Roma really is in the hunt. Not bad for a black and white Spanish language film.

But yeah, no Rosamund, so fuck ‘em. Seriously, it looks like Colman, Gaga, and McCarthy are Oscar nod locks, and a bunch of great actresses fighting for the other two slots.

Elsie Fisher has THREE nods for the same performance! That tears it, Eighth Grade has to be my next watch.

Things are definitely solidifying. I look forward to the SAG nominations. Ensemble may give us a hint for Best Picture, which seems wide open at this point.

Barack Hussein Obama

Quote Originally Posted by Regina Phalange View Post

maybe she should host the oscars too
    I wonder who is getting the other achievement award? I'd put money on Julie Andrews.. you know, being this is a year with the new Mary Poppins. It'd be the perfect time to do it.

SAGS are tomorrow but I don't know if I will be able to post them early in the day. Anyone else want to post them please do!!
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.