Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: "Awards" Season 2017/2018

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    We had a little Golden Globes party so I wasn't paying as much attention to the beginning which I understand most people thought was boring and the hosts were awful. But my goodness those veteran actors sure made it good fun and saved the show. I mean, Carol Burnett and Jeff Bridges completely changed the flow of the show and all the shocking out of nowhere wins.
    I'll say this, I might not agree with them but when you have so many surprises like this it makes for a very exciting Awards Season. Last year, although the films were good, it was the same 4 actors winning everything everywhere and this clearly will not be the case.

There are six big acting awards at the Globes and Regina King isn't nominated at SAG. So someone else is going to have a speech to make their case come that show. Lady Gaga has to win the SAG, I think, now after Glenn Close just gave the most amazing speech. I mean that was her Oscar audition. And still.. there's Coleman who also had a wonderful speech and if she takes BAFTA.. it's just too exciting. So unpredictable at this point.

Will the Critics Choice follow along on the 13th or will it completely flip the script? i think the Globes just gave the CCs permission to do whatever they want to do.

Weirdly the only thing I think that will be rock solid is Alfonso Cuaron winning best director. We have to wait for the DGA but I think he'll hold on all season.

When Bohemian Rhapsody won it kind of didn't get the reaction from the audience you'd expect. In a lot of ways I think that was the GGs saying this was a movie that did so well at the box office.. fans loved it, critics didn't.. take this mofos. if anything was going to beat A Star is Born it was probably going to be Black Panther or BlackKKlansman as far as experts were concerned. Wow.
    Last edited by Volta; 01-07-2019 at 10:14 AM.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    Oh boy. This is amazing.

For those who don't watch the show, the character has a sister whose shadow she can't quite escape who is named Kamilah and it makes her bananas. This is some Sean-level evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Regina Phalange View Post
    Oh boy. This is amazing.

For those who don't watch the show, the character has a sister whose shadow she can't quite escape who is named Kamilah and it makes her bananas. This is some Sean-level evil.

Didn't see the Golden Globes last night, but I saw this on Buzzfeed and I knew nothing could be better than this.
    When he woke up, the dinosaur was still there.

The actress is having a lot of fun with it on her Twitter. Hadn’t heard about of her before. My, she’s gorgeous.

Interesting that I mentioned Elsie Fisher before, because she got into a post-awards Twitter kerfuffle last night. She tweeted how happy she was that Rami Malek and Bohemian Rhapsody had won. Then, Woke Twitter descended on her w/r/t Bryan Singer. At first, she was hurt and said so. Then, a remarkable thing happened. She made two more posts acknowledging the issues and saying she had educated herself on them. She expressed her understanding of Singer’s fuckedupedness, while standing strong on her support for Malek and the movie. She ended by expressing a desire to learn more about this and invited people to educate her. I can’t remember a more mature response to being flame.

Remember, this girl is all of fifteen years old. Time for a doctor’s appointment, so more later.
    At my core, I think we're gonna be OK.

Barack Hussein Obama

There are so many creeps and pervs it's hard to remember who was involved in what, ESPECIALLY if it was behind the camera. (And I think his name was removed from the project.) Some people don't care at all, but it's easy to forget. And I don't know why she should get more shit than say E! that has alleged groper Seacrest still on and wife-beater Gary Oldman gave out an award. So she shouldn't be held to a higher standard than the dudes who ACTUALLY DID THE BAD THINGS. Enablers suck, but perpetrators suck more.

Steve, you'd probably like The Good Place. The first two seasons are on Netflix. S3 is currently airing, but it's a show you have to start on S1E1 to understand. It works on many levels. If you like stupid jokes and slapstick or if you like heady philosophical discussion, there's something for everyone.

Oh boy. This is amazing.

[KAMILA AL-JAMIL PIC]

That pic was funnier than the entire opening monologue. I can only hope that Schur & Co. somehow work this in to the show. [Good Place finally returns this week!]

There are so many creeps and pervs it's hard to remember who was involved in what, ESPECIALLY if it was behind the camera. (And I think his name was removed from the project.) Some people don't care at all, but it's easy to forget. And I don't know why she should get more shit than say E! that has alleged groper Seacrest still on and wife-beater Gary Oldman gave out an award. So she shouldn't be held to a higher standard than the dudes who ACTUALLY DID THE BAD THINGS. Enablers suck, but perpetrators suck more.

Steve, you'd probably like The Good Place. The first two seasons are on Netflix. S3 is currently airing, but it's a show you have to start on S1E1 to understand. It works on many levels. If you like stupid jokes and slapstick or if you like heady philosophical discussion, there's something for everyone.
    There is a certain type of person, very toxic, that is sitting out there waiting to pounce on anyone and everyone over things like this. Unfortunately for her career she has to respond this way.
    Do I have to change the channel every time one of my favorite Woody Allen movies comes on or am I participating in his indiscretions and possible crimes for laughing and crying to Annie Hall and Hannah and Her Sisters?

But Bohemian Rhapsody was not a great picture, imo. So I question her taste lol.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

The BAFTA Nominations are a whole lot more inline with what I was expecting at most of the awards shows.

Best Film
    BlacKkKlansman
    The Favourite
    Green Book
    Roma
    A Star Is Born

Outstanding British Film
    Beast
    Bohemian Rhapsody
    The Favourite
    McQueen
    Stan & Ollie
    You Were Never Really Here

Outstanding Debut by a British Writer, Director or Producer
    Apostasy — Daniel Kokotajlo
    Beast — Michael Pearce, Lauren Dark
    A Cambodian Spring — Chris Kelly
    Pili — Leanne Welham, Sophie Harman
    Ray & Liz — Richard Billingham, Jacqui Davies

Film Not in the English Language
    Capernaum
    Cold War
    Dogman
    Roma
    Shoplifters

Documentary
    Free Solo
    McQueen
    RBG
    They Shall Not Grow Old
    Three Identical Strangers

Animated Film
    Incredibles 2
    Isle of Dogs
    Spider-man: Into the Spider-verse

Director
    BlacKkKlansman — Spike Lee
    Cold War — Paweł Pawlikowski
    The Favourite — Yorgos Lanthimos
    Roma — Alfonso Cuarón
    A Star Is Born — Bradley Cooper

Original Screenplay
    Cold War
    The Favourite
    Green Book
    Roma
    Vice

Adapted Screenplay
    BlacKkKlansman
    Can You Ever Forgive Me?
    First Man
    If Beale Street Could Talk
    A Star Is Born

Leading Actress
    Glenn Close — The Wife
    Lady Gaga — A Star Is Born
    Melissa McCarthy — Can You Ever Forgive Me?
    Olivia Colman — The Favourite
    Viola Davis — Widows

Leading Actor
    Bradley Cooper — A Star Is Born
    Christian Bale — Vice
    Rami Malek — Bohemian Rhapsody
    Steve Coogan — Stan & Ollie
    Viggo Mortensen — Green Book

Supporting Actress
    Amy Adams — Vice
    Claire Foy — First Man
    Emma Stone — The Favourite
    Margot Robbie — Mary Queen of Scots
    Rachel Weisz — The Favourite

Supporting Actor
    Adam Driver — BlacKkKlansman
    Mahershala Ali — Green Book
    Richard E. Grant — Can You Ever Forgive Me?
    Sam Rockwell — Vice
    Timothée Chalamet — Beautiful Boy

Original Music
    BlacKkKlansman
    If Beale Street Could Talk
    Isle of Dogs
    Mary Poppins Returns
    A Star Is Born

Cinematography
    Bohemian Rhapsody
    Cold War
    The Favourite
    First Man
    Roma

Editing
    Bohemian Rhapsody
    The Favourite
    First Man
    Roma
    Vice

Production Design
    Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald
    The Favourite
    First Man
    Mary Poppins Returns
    Roma

Costume Design
    The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
    Bohemian Rhapsody
    The Favourite
    Mary Poppins Returns
    Mary Queen of Scots

Makeup & Hair
    Bohemian Rhapsody
    The Favourite
    Mary Queen of Scots
    Stan & Ollie
    Vice

Sound
    Bohemian Rhapsody
    First Man
    Mission: Impossible — Fallout
    A Quiet Place
    A Star Is Born

Special Visual Effects
    Avengers: Infinity War
    Black Panther
    Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald
    First Man
    Ready Player One

British Short Animation
    I’m OK
    Marfa
    Roughhouse

British Short Film
    73 Cows
    Bachelor, 38
    The Blue Door
    The Field
    Wale

EE Rising Star Award
    Barry Keoghan
    Cynthia Erivo
    Jessie Buckley
    Lakeith Stanfield
    Letitia Wright
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

Uhhhh....

The account may now have been deleted since last night. I haven't seen The Green Book yet and I've heard mixed things and this is definitely going to taint my opinion of it.

Green Book is the feel good movie of this awards season, imo. Didn't do too well at the Box Office. Probably would be much more of a contender had it done as well as the others.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

Also, Don Shirley’s (the guy Ali plays) family doesn’t support the movie. They say the other guy was merely an employee, not a friend. If true, that makes the whole movie pretty creepy, kind of the inverse of the Magical Negro trope. I think this movie is probably going to lose a lot of steam.
    At my core, I think we're gonna be OK.

Barack Hussein Obama

Oh, it has lost a ton of steam. Someone over at the Derby site back in November said Green Book had everything you need to be a contender but it would depend on how it performed at the box office since so many of the movies up for consideration have done so well this year. She's a senior editor at Gold Derby. I'll look up that youtube video but she's older with short brown hair and glasses if you go to that site and see the editors photos.

My point is I think she was right. It's going to win supporting but would it get in for some of the technical awards without a big box office push? I don't know.
    It's a beautiful story. Such a shame to hear it's not an entirely accurate story.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

Critics' Choice Awards start in about five minutes. I assume it's live. It's on CW for me, not sure where it's airing for the rest of you.

Oof, this is painful to watch. The good writers must be working on other shows because the banter is terrible. It's a different set of presenters than you usually see and some of them are truly terrible. But it was nice to see Eugene Levy and Catherine O'Hara.The winners are very similar to the Golden Globes overall so it is like having deja vu with everyone wearing different clothes.

^The Critics Choice has always felt like it's held together by glue.
    Most times tonight the presenters were to the point and I kind of enjoy that. Just give the awards out.

Very surprised to see Gaga and Close tie. Gaga has given so many acceptance speeches over her career and with the possibility of her winning an Oscar you can tell she's trying to do this a totally different way. And sad thing is you kind of have to. You have a lot of pressure in these precursors to give that amazing speech and she was crying and trying to catch her breath but by the end not one tear remaining. It's so interesting to see. She so confident when she wins awards for her music. Winning for her acting is such a different animal.

At least Gaga has some momentum going into the next set of Sundays. It's a three-person race for Best Actress. And she needed a win tonight desperately. She got it. But so did Glenn. And Coleman won Comedy Actress so.. wow. Tight race.

Christian Bale winning both Comedy Actor and Best Actor was a bit of a surprise. They were spreading the wealth and I thought Rami would take the bigger prize later in the show. I'm sure a lot of people did.

And Roma winning was no surprise to me. The Critics put ROMA on the map. But how it will do when the guilds and the full body of voters get to choose will be interesting. I don't see it holding up.
    Last edited by Volta; 01-14-2019 at 03:56 AM.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.