Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: "Awards" Season 2017/2018

Alt Universe CliqueMember Spikey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    Regina Hall? That is just amazing.
    Btw, she is the first black woman to win this award. This is 2018, which makes that sound sad, but ok.
    Anyway. So well deserved. One of my favorite actresses ever, ever since Scary Movie I follow her around obsessively.
    "Replies are a combination of nonsense, unrelated comments and inside jokes"‎

Surprised that Melissa McCarthy in Can You Ever Forgive Me? hasn’t picked up more nominations!

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    Btw, she is the first black woman to win this award. This is 2018, which makes that sound sad, but ok.
    Anyway. So well deserved. One of my favorite actresses ever, ever since Scary Movie I follow her around obsessively.
    I used to use Regina Hall's "You better get out of my face.. out of my face, out of my face!" when I was a kid to my cousins, etc..from the iconic Scary Movie scene when she's in the theater. You just have to watch it in this clip.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

Last edited by BrotherNamedErised; 12-01-2018 at 12:10 PM. Reason: Wrong thread, apologies.

British Independent Film Awards:
    https://www.bifa.film/awards/2018/winners-nominations/

Basically The Favourite won everything it was nominated for.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

The next four days are going to be crazy for Awards watchers. Tomorrow are the Washington DC Film Critics Awards along with the Annie Award Nominations, The day after that is the AFI's, day after that are the Grammy Nominations, day after that the GG nominations and the Writers Guild Nominations.

Dec 3 - DC Film Critics Awards Announced
    Dec 3 - Annie Award Nominations
    Dec 4 - AFI Honors
    Dec 5 - Grammy Nominations
    Dec 6 - Golden Globe Nominations
    Dec 6 - Writer's Guild Nominations
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

Washington DC Area Film Awards

THE 2018 WAFCA AWARD WINNERS:

Best Film:
    Roma

Best Director:
    Alfonso Cuarón (Roma)

Best Actor:
    Bradley Cooper (A Star Is Born)

Best Actress:
    Lady Gaga (A Star Is Born)

Best Supporting Actor:
    Mahershala Ali (Green Book)

Best Supporting Actress:
    Regina King (If Beale Street Could Talk)

Best Acting Ensemble:
    The Favourite

Best Youth Performance:
    Elsie Fisher (Eighth Grade)

Best Voice Performance:
    Bryan Cranston (Isle of Dogs)

Best Motion Capture Performance:
    Josh Brolin (Avengers: Infinity War)

Best Original Screenplay:
    Deborah Davis and Tony McNamara (The Favourite)

Best Adapted Screenplay:
    Nicole Holofcener and Jeff Whitty (Can You Ever Forgive Me?)

Best Animated Feature:
    Isle of Dogs

Best Documentary:
    Won't You Be My Neighbor?

Best Foreign Language Film:
    Roma

Best Production Design:
    Production Designer: Hannah Beachler; Set Decorator: Jay Hart (Black Panther)

Best Cinematography:
    Alfonso Cuarón (Roma)

Best Editing:
    Tom Cross, ACE (First Man)

Best Original Score:
    Nicholas Britell (If Beale Street Could Talk)

The Joe Barber Award for Best Portrayal of Washington, DC:
    Vice
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

The WAFCAs really spread the love around. All the major players got some kind of award. You can start to see how the Best Picture race is either going to be 5-6 films or all 10 slots.
    That's my thinking as I am seeing the shape of everything take place. They're either going to be extremely generous and films like Can You Ever Forgive Me?/First Man/Vice are going to be in the race...or theyre going to keep it down to A Star is Born, Roma, Green Book, The Favourite and Black Panther. I don't see any of those films not being in Best Picture.
    Last edited by Volta; 12-04-2018 at 11:55 PM.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

Golden Globes

FILM

TV

A sidenote: Most nominations film
    Last edited by Volta; 12-06-2018 at 02:11 PM.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

Current Reaction to GG nominations. And this is a really exciting, very unexpected (at times) list. There seems to be quite a few snubs from my GoldDerby predictions but I don't really mind them.

1. BlacKKKlansman, Black Panther, and If Beale Street Could Talk all in Best Drama? WOW. Three of the Drama Films with predominantly African American story lines and lead actors.
    2. VICE has 6 Nominations the most of any film?? It's not even been released, yet. I didn't see that coming.
    3. Lucas Hedges is in for Boy Erased and Nicole Kidman is not? But she got in for Destroyer??? wow
    4. Rosamund Pike!!! YAS!
    5. Shocked in ACTOR DRAMA that Ethan Hawke isn't in. But very happy to see William Dafoe take his place.
    6. Best Actress in Musical/Comedy is actually the only category I got nearly completely right on my GoldDerby Card.
    7. Dolly Parton, Lady Gaga, Troye Sivan, Annie Lennox and Kendrick Lamar all nominated for song. That's probably one of the most exciting categories for Unforumzed Members!
    8. Of all the movies nominated in Drama and Musical/Comedy I've only seen three:
    A Star is Born
    Black Panther
    Bohemian Rhapsody
    -- Which is kind of shocking. I was expecting to see a few more films nominated that I have already seen.. off the top of my head First Man, First Reformed, Widows, A Quiet Place...
    9. Richard Madden nominated for The Bodyguard (TV).. my favorite nomination of the whole event!!!!
    10 and Lastly.. I think A Star is Born is just going to clean up.
    Last edited by Volta; 12-06-2018 at 02:32 PM.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    Clearly I am the only person who found ACS Versace to be garbage and Cruz in particular was ridiculous in a bad way.

But yay for the older ladies for Dolly and Candice! Two blasts from the past who should never go away.

Random thoughts:

* Has a film based on comic book ever been nominated for Best Picture at the Globes? Not surprised that Black Panther got in--it's more than deserving. Just wondering if it's a first.
    * I always think it's weird when awards bodies single out only one performance in a film/show that clearly has more than one standout performance. I've been watching Killing Eve and really enjoying it--Sandra Oh is great, but it's criminal to ignore Jodie Comer
    * Bohemian Rhapsody for Best Drama? Yikes.
    * Someone nominate D'Arcy Carden for *something* for playing Janet on The Good Place. She's that show's secret weapon!
    * A Star is Born is a movie that's made of the Globes ... and I'm totally not here for it. I generally enjoyed it, but that's about it. Not feeling the love, but I think it's going to clean house at the Globes and likely the Oscars. Sam Elliott is a surprise snub, yes?
    * McCarthy needed this boost since she hasn't really been nominated for anything yet, while Richard Grant has been nominated for everything--which I find very odd. Loved them both in the film. Glad she got in.
    * Missing the Globe nod seems like ... not a good omen for Julia Roberts, Saoirse Ronan, Viola Davis, and Carey Mulligan. They'd likely need some kind of critics award win for their odds to improve to land an Oscar nod.
    * Toni Collette has won a few critics awards. I wonder if she'll be able to land an Oscar nod? She's SO good in Hereditary but it's also ... not for the faint of heart, to put it mildly.
    * I didn't dislike ACS Versace, but I agree that Penelope Cruz was not very good in it. Speaking of not very good ... I thought Constance Wu was kind of a terrible lead in Crazy Rich Asians. Surely there were better comedic performances this year?
    * Rooting for Donald Glover to win for Atlanta. This season was BRILLIANT. I don't use that word lightly or often.
    * I really like Nicole Kidman and did not expect her to get double nominations ... but I thought she'd be nominated for Boy Erased and passed over for Destroyer. I think her chances are wobbly for an Oscar nod for both, but the Globe nod for Destroyer seemed essential to keep her in the race.
    * It would have been nice if Eliza Scanlen got a nod for playing Amma in Sharp Objects. Talk about a star-making turn ...
    Last edited by sleeptheclock; 12-07-2018 at 03:27 AM.

Jesus. Elsie Fisher. She is burning shit up. At this point, she’s looking very possible for an Oscar nod.

Interesting that A Star is Born is in Drama.

Black Panther definitely gets an Oscar nod.

That Best Supporting Actress field may well be duplicated for the Oscars.

So Vice comes in, big and strong. Don’t count it out.

More later.
    At my core, I think we're gonna be OK.

Barack Hussein Obama

Quote Originally Posted by sleeptheclock View Post
    Random thoughts:

* Has a film based on comic book ever been nominated for Best Picture at the Globes? Not surprised that Black Panther got in--it's more than deserving. Just wondering if it's a first.
    * I always think it's weird when awards bodies single out only one performance in a film/show that clearly has more than one standout performance. I've been watching Killing Eve and really enjoying it--Sandra Oh is great, but it's criminal to ignore Jodie Comer
    * Bohemian Rhapsody for Best Drama? Yikes.
    * Someone nominate D'Arcy Carden for *something* for playing Janet on The Good Place. She's that show's secret weapon!
    * A Star is Born is a movie that's made of the Globes ... and I'm totally not here for it. I generally enjoyed it, but that's about it. Not feeling the love, but I think it's going to clean house at the Globes and likely the Oscars. Sam Elliott is a surprise snub, yes?
    * McCarthy needed this boost since she hasn't really been nominated for anything yet, while Richard Grant has been nominated for everything--which I find very odd. Loved them both in the film. Glad she got in.
    * Missing the Globe nod seems like ... not a good omen for Julia Roberts, Saoirse Ronan, Viola Davis, and Carey Mulligan. They'd likely need some kind of critics award win for their odds to improve to land an Oscar nod.
    * Toni Collette has won a few critics awards. I wonder if she'll be able to land an Oscar nod? She's SO good in Hereditary but it's also ... not for the faint of heart, to put it mildly.
    * I didn't dislike ACS Versace, but I agree that Penelope Cruz was not very good in it. Speaking of not very good ... I thought Constance Wu was kind of a terrible lead in Crazy Rich Asians. Surely there were better comedic performances this year?
    * Rooting for Donald Glover to win for Atlanta. This season was BRILLIANT. I don't use that word lightly or often.
    * I really like Nicole Kidman and did not expect her to get double nominations ... but I thought she'd be nominated for Boy Erased and passed over for Destroyer. I think her chances are wobbly for an Oscar nod for both, but the Globe nod for Destroyer seemed essential to keep her in the race.
    * It would have been nice if Eliza Scanlen got a nod for playing Amma in Sharp Objects. Talk about a star-making turn ...
    I didn't even think about Mary, Queen of Scots not getting nominations for Ronan and Margot Robbie. Maybe they've pushed it back to release next year??

I think Deadpool was nominated for Best Picture at the Globes.

I haven't seen Destroyer but the trailer is crazy good and looks like maybe her most transformative role since To Die For. She's been giving out of the park performances as a mom in the last three big projects she's done... Destroyer must feel like a good change of pace.
    But you know.. you can't really count out Kidman in supporting or Julia Roberts in Ben is Back because sometimes the Globes nominate A-listers in one category to get them to come to the show and leave them out of other things because why bother... although Regina King and Amy Adams got double nominations this time around.''

I predicted Theron would get in for Tully, which came out forever and a day ago, but she was also doing an exclusive talk with the HFPA website yesterday either before or after the nominations. So.. you know.. these actors know what they're doing. Remember when that actor got a supporting nomination for Nocturnal Animals? I can't even remember his name but he was pretty much giving out foot massages to the HFPA before his nomination and now there are reports that JOHN DAVID WASHINGTON was very available for them in these pre-nomination luncheons. Just goes to show it never hurts schmaltzing (is that the right word?) up to those voters.
    Last edited by Volta; 12-07-2018 at 06:33 AM.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve SFM View Post
    Jesus. Elsie Fisher. She is burning shit up. At this point, she’s looking very possible for an Oscar nod.

Interesting that A Star is Born is in Drama.

Black Panther definitely gets an Oscar nod.

That Best Supporting Actress field may well be duplicated for the Oscars.

So Vice comes in, big and strong. Don’t count it out.

More later.
    A Star is Born is still probably my favorite film so far this awards season. It will win 3-4 awards.. and that will be good for it. Remember when La La Land won all 7 and the backlash was pretty severe?

Green Book is most likely going to overtake Vice. You never know.

And, yea, next time I'm near a Redbox I am picking up Eight Grade. She's just been nominated in almost everything so.. see what all the fuss is about lol.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.