Thread: Favorite Eyeshadows

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar

Favorite Eyeshadows

Curious to see what are some of your favorite eyeshadow brands, colors, palettes, specific palettes?

My friend had an old sugarpill palette she put on me for fun. I went to one of the "bars" in Louisville that night and it was a lot of fun.
    I wanted a bright palette of my own to possibly learn on.. so I just ordered one off Juvia's Place. The Zulu Palette.
    I'm a man, btw.
    The Zulu palette was highly rated and only 20bucks. The same palette at SugarPill would be more than 60.
    Last edited by Volta; 08-03-2018 at 11:59 PM.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

I actually grabbed a few dollar store LA COLORS palettes and goofed with them and I was kind of surprised how good they were. But I know less to nothing so... Anyone else ever use the LA COLORS eye shadows?

I should probably learn how to use neutrals first to learn technique before I jump into all these colors. But I do what I want.
    Last edited by Volta; 08-04-2018 at 12:00 AM.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

trapped in the worst timeline just owls's Avatar
    One issue with most super cheap shadow is they blend for shit, and it's hard to learn how to do eyeshadow with product that just will not blend. I've never used the bright colors, but e.l.f. has really decent quality cheap shadow, and NYX has amazing quality everything. Another issue is even expensive brands, palettes tend to be poor quality compared to single shadows, at least the large palettes.

I'm not sure if the price is still the same, but Inglot used to have really great quality shadows for $5 and you could build your own palette. They had every color and finish you could think of. If you can find a makeup exchange group, look into buying little pots of MAC pigments. People usually sell like 1/4 tsp for a few bucks, and trust me, 1/4 tsp will last a lifetime. They are loose powders but very richly pigmented, easy to blend, and fun to play with. MakeupAlley swaps used to be the place for this, but I think they got rid of swapping. I am sure there are still places online to do this though. Probably r/MakeupExchange

Also, I learned with really bright colors. It was more fun for me and also easier to see what was going on vs. using neutrals, so have fun with it.

I kind of went crazy with the Labor Day sales at KylieCosmetics, SugarPill, and JeffreeStarCosmetics. Palettes and lips. Yes, now I'm adding lips to my ManGlam.

And you're right about blending. I have problems blending some of the higher-end stuff but now I use a primer and that helps a lot. Another issue is staining. Reds and Purples especially can stain your eye and it takes days to get that color off.

So I have two 14 dollar palettes from Amazon one is all neutrals and one is all colors. I also have Kylie's Extended Bronze Palette and Jeffree Star's Thirsty Palette. I love them both.

BUT I can open any palette and get so lost. Every tutorial has a different way of application. I can't pick the first transition shade to save my life. Some people start with darker colors and lighten down.. some use a base and the next lightest as the transition and build up. It's a crazy world.. this makeup gig.
    Last edited by Volta; 09-07-2018 at 10:30 PM.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.