Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mitski

Mitski

Realized there wasn’t a thread for this precious human being.

Anyone heard the new album yet?
    -time moves both ways-

Only knows desire. Perky Compson's Avatar
    It's fucking fantastic.

She has a plan for that. Steve SFM's Avatar
    I said in the Album thread that there's Mitski, and there's everybody else. I meant it subjectively -- that she's my favorite artist at this time -- but there's a more objective idea as well. And that is there's really no one else making music quite like this. Short yet fully complete songs in a dizzying array of styles, with a consistent lyrical vision, drawing from chief influences orchestral pop and DIY punk. She's astounding. And she's just getting started.

That's enough for now.
    And it's going to be how do we think government should work and who do we think government should work for?

Yeah, it’s amazing. I listened to the whole thing last night and when “A Horse Named Cold Air” came on I was baffled and in awe. It was a transcendental listening experience. It’s so beautiful and unsettling and stark and out of the blue and the fact that it’s on the same record as songs like “Nobody” and “Me and My Husband” and it works and fits in so well is astounding. The range of styles she employs while still making such a cohesive record is massively impressive. It makes me feel like I’ve done Peyote and the song is echoing through a canyon in the desert.
    Last edited by Domandapiano; 08-18-2018 at 12:07 AM.

Two Slow Dancers is my favorite 2018 track so far.
    the draught was the very worst

Long-time Lurker
    She is simply amazing. Geyser is an absolute emotional experience (check the video) and the new album is full of gems.

Two Slow Dancers is indeed a gorgeous, heart-wrenching song. "It would be a hundred times easier if we were young again" - DEAD.

Elton John played "Two Slow Dancers" on his satellite radio show recently. When Mitski heard about it, she lost her shit. She seems genuinely blown away when folks like Elton and Iggy Pop acknowledge her greatness. But to me, that's just two old guys who follow new music and recognize quality when they hear it.
    And it's going to be how do we think government should work and who do we think government should work for?

Long-time Lurker
    I love to watch/read interviews with her. She's very intelligent and grounded, and has really insightful things to say about songwriting and music creation.

Agreed. And she is so funny and endearing too. I love her.
    the draught was the very worst

Quote Originally Posted by Steve SFM View Post
    Elton John played "Two Slow Dancers" on his satellite radio show recently. When Mitski heard about it, she lost her shit. She seems genuinely blown away when folks like Elton and Iggy Pop acknowledge her greatness. But to me, that's just two old guys who follow new music and recognize quality when they hear it.
    I listen to Iggy's show on 6Music. He's cool and plays so much great new music!

I saw Mitski play a solo acoustic set in a local record store on Monday. She was so cute, funny, and charming and of course the songs were great too!

Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

When she was on The Daily Show, she played "Geyser" solo on the acoustic guitar. It was absolutely gorgeous, and that comes from someone who adores the album version. And the version her live band plays is probably different from both of the others, and it almost certainly is also great. The fact that her songs sound good in different versions is one more indication of just how good the songs themselves are.

So I got Be The Cowboy and to be honest I haven't been able to get into it. Haven't played it again since the initial play. I like the organ on the opening track but I think the songs need to be fleshed out more in order to have impact.

worth a million in prizes .chris's Avatar
    I'm really into this album! It took me a couple listens to get into it, but now I'm in love. I can see it high up on my yearly list.

So happy to see this thread. Just wanted to add more love for Mitski and the masterpiece that is Be the Cowboy.

I really like what I have heard in the singles. My partner says she is talented but sounds really dramatic / obsessed with herself - kinda like Ani or the Tori songs he dislikes.
    Robbing the muse...