Thread: Walnut Whales/ Yarn and Glue

whose wheels are squeaking arsonist samael's Avatar

Walnut Whales/ Yarn and Glue

Can we talk about these early unofficial recordings? Sure, the production/vocals are a bit jarring, but these hold some of the gems never released anywhere else! I cannot get over how cute Erin is, how devastating Flying a Kite is (which has some of my favourite lyrics ever - 'you take my tattered fist, it's like a catalyst, it's like a roiling, rising wall of 'has it come to this''), Yarn and Glue is so much fun, and The Fray makes other people around me in the bus very uncomfortable with Joanna blaring her eccentric vocals on top volume. I wish she would perform some of these songs live in the future, and then release them. I'd be curious as to what she would do with them nowadays.

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    I looooove Erin and Flying a Kite. Embarrassingly, I have not yet heard anything from Yarn and Glue.
    Yarn And Glue is out of print but you can find it online actually. I found it pretty easily when i went searching for it b

I totally love "Flying A Kite" so much. It's a wonderful song. I find myself having that melody in my head at times. It's like a little circular melodic riff that just goes round and round.

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    WW Peach Plum Pear. Quite a shock to hear that voice at first!

^I enjoy the different instrumentation of the Walnut Whales version, but that vocal...let's just say I'm glad there's another version of Peach, Plum, Pear and that it gets played with her changed live voice now. At least here it's clear she says "bolt like a horse" and not "bold like a whore", which is one of those frequently misheard lyrics.

i love the WW version of "peach, plum, pear". i remember reading an interview where joanna said she sounds terrified in those early EPs, because she had just started singing and was still finding her footing in terms of using her voice (i'm paraphrasing heavily). you can totally hear it in PPP that she's trying to sing as delicately as possible, and there's this moment right in the middle of the song ("swallowing panic in the face of its force") where you can hear her "real" voice come out. overall i think the vocal performance in this version of the song is very moving; she sounds so vulnerable and it all sounds like a fresh wound -- some of the lyrics that are in the past tense on the MEM are in the present tense on the WW version.

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    Getting back into some of this stuff - so raw and unpolished!

Flying a Kite is probably among my favourite Joanna songs. The Fray is beautiful too.

thundering blissful towards death stillorbiting's Avatar
    Falling in love hard with the Walnut Whales version of Right-On tonight. God damn it's gorgeous. I can't put into words why the mood is so different from the MEM version, but it really is.

"Erin" has definitely earned a spot in my Joanna top 20. The melody is just beautiful and I don't know why but the "sleeping on the pavement in the central park / twentieth floor balcony house is what is home to me" line really resonates with me.

The WW Clam, Crab, Cockle, Cowrie is just heartbreaking. She sounds so defeated. It may actually be my favorite recording of the song.

Hadn't heard of this stuff! Thanks guys!

Off to find a torrent.
    Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

I've finally listened to a few songs off these two after accidentally finding Erin and Flying a Kite, and I can't wait to find more. Comparing the lyrics for the album version of "En Gallop" to its Walnut Whales version, I was interested to see the final stanzas were cut. Those first two lines in particular are a heartbreaking and beautiful articulation of her poetics:

In order to make the music
    seems I must break so many things.
    Turn over like bracken and sea-shrapnel
    grazed by the tongue of a beetle-green sea.

Let each note be
    a full-bodied song:
    enough fingers,
    enough toes,
    skin to cover the rich, bloody beat,
    enough belly,
    enough feet.

As time has gone on, my enthusiasm for her early work has waned, while my love for her later work has burgeoned. I'm always struck by how other-worldly and nostalgic these EPs sound whenever I come across them.