Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Rupaul's Drag Race

Re: Valentina..she has her moments (her Selena look and performance in the group challenge with Stacy was good) but I don’t think she’s anywhere near as well-rounded as a drag queen as someone like Manila or Trinity. Her looks carry her a long way. That lip sync to Into You was pretty weak in my opinion. It felt like a struggle for the editors to make it feel more successful than it was. I was bummed because I think many other queens could’ve torn the roof off the place to that song.

Re: Monet, I was very impressed by her Boots the House Down runway look: https://goo.gl/images/4pMDqB
    But I don’t think she delivers that level of polish most of the time. She probably would’ve benefited from waiting to come back for AS5 or AS6 if they happen. I do give her credit for one of the best LSFYL moments in the last couple seasons though with her fake-out during Pound the Alarm.

I will be very happy if Manila and Trinity make top 2 and I assume Valentina will be up there too. I love Naomi and think she’s a fierce queen but I don’t really see her taking the crown. And please no spoilers if people know anything about top 4 already.

Quote Originally Posted by ebby View Post
    Manila's original dress for the "curves and swerves, padded for the gods" look got vetoed apparently, so her awesome look was her backup!

Speaking of which though, it made me a little nervous to see Manila post this comment about Ru along with these photos on Instagram:

“Ru said my ORIGINAL Curves & Swerves Runway look was in “bad taste” and production told me to wear my back up.”

She had to know it was likely to stir up shit with the fans and it just made me wonder how she’s feeling about the whole experience to see her post that. She could’ve easily just said it the way she did on Twitter, which softened it. Again, not looking for tea and hoping to avoid spoilers..just speculating. I would LOVE to see Manila takes the crown. I think she really deserves to be in that Hall of Fame. She’s truly one of the best to ever be on this show in any season.
    Last edited by MikeEP; 01-08-2019 at 11:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    I’m sad to see Latrice go but she has been mediocre. I had such high hopes. Nothing came close to the brilliance of her Natural Woman lip sync.

I still think Monet is also mediocre, and her looks are never polished. She reminds me of Chi Chi from To Wong Foo, as far as being a mess compared to the other girls.

Right now I’m Team Manila or Team Trinity. I’ve loved Manila from the very first episode of her original season. I didn’t care for Trinity in her season but this Trinity is great.
    This is all true. Latrice, as others have said, is at her best when she is being put center stage and everyone lets her do her thing. In that setting, she is professional as all fuck, but otherwise there's no spontaneity; also, no evolution whatsoever from her season. Oh, and her outfits are all the same. Monet has a nice personality and that's it. She's less fishy than Bob, and her attempts of glamour come off very pedestrian. Her break the internet outfit was presumably professionally made, yet it looked like that champagne glass could fall off her ass at any moment. That heavy red gown was a Scarlett took down the drapes and made a toga moment. At least she seems to have calmed down with the sponges, which is more than I can say for Monique's brown cow. By the way, someone fucking steal Monique's hideous highlighter, her make-up is giving me a headache.

This may be an unpopular opinion but I can’t stand Valentina. Yeah, she’s young and pretty and her lip sync was good, but eh. She’s not always great at the challenges to me. That Eartha Kitt thing was a mess and probably would have gotten more criticism had it not been overshadowed by Gia’s bullshit.
    It's not that I can't stand her, but there's something robbing me the wrong way too. Basically, I think that because she has such a vocal fanbase, she's being given more passes than other queens get.

Alt Universe CliqueMember Spikey's Avatar
    Valentina rarely does something outstanding in my eyes, I think her runway looks are mostly boring. Maybe "too" polished? If there is such a thing. It makes Latrice look even more boring on the runway. Anyway, Valentina surprised me with Jersey Justice and with the runway outfit - she is trying to push her own boundaries, and that is a nice thing.
    Monet takes a lot of risks, sometimes they pay off, but often they don't.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEP View Post
    Again, not looking for tea and hoping to avoid spoilers..just speculating. I would LOVE to see Manila takes the crown. I think she really deserves to be in that Hall of Fame. She’s truly one of the best to ever be on this show in any season.
    It does feel a bit like "I was blocked from giving my best looks". Right now I assume even the contestants don't know who won yet, that they filmed at least three crownings - though maybe she won't make it that far.
    They will get to a point where everyone who is not in the top is automatically in the bottom 2, and anything can happen, fair or unfair. And rules can change as they see fit - seeing as All Stars 2 and All Stars 3 both had comeback queens (both Tati and Alyssa in season 2, Morgan in season 3), it is likely that at some point at least one eliminated queen will rejoin during an elimination.
    "Replies are a combination of nonsense, unrelated comments and inside jokes"‎

I don't know if they film multiple crownings for All Stars. They obviously do it for the regular seasons because there's a large live audience and the beans would be instantly spilled all over social media, but the All Stars finale is done in house, so it's much easier to contain everything. I'm sure the queens themselves have signed some sort of non-disclosure agreements.

I think they film different endings for the finalists. I know in AS1 they filmed one for chad and one raven (but not juju or Shannel because they were already told they didn't win). In AS2, Alaska, Detox and Katya all got filmed as winning. I'm not sure about AS3, I think it was Trixie and Kennedy since again the other two were already told they didn't win. I think it's all about gauging fan response as the season airs.

DEEKWARE INDYPENDANTS!!! halo eighteen's Avatar
    I get why they have to resort to filming multiple outcomes in advance, but good lord. As someone who works in master control for TV I can tell you it's astonishing that the wrong take has never hit the air yet. Or if it has, I guess no one would ever know.

Well, apparently in AS1 the wrong one was aired!

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    Was actually loving almost everything about this episode. It was really good.
    But that ending and the twist done pissed me off.
    And when all you heard was Monet saying something about Shangela.. that's when you start to remember this is a show, that is produced and controlled.. and Ru wouldn't have that audio in there if he wasn't trying to make a statement.

Anyhow.. if what I think they're going to do with this twist happens.. then what is the point, really? I mean.. I'll tune in but my excitement for AS4 is very much diminished.
    Last edited by Volta; 01-12-2019 at 02:58 AM.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

#TeamManila

#TeamManila for sure. I enjoy Trinity but Manila is awesome at what she does down to the smallest details.
    My face screams without an emotion

Poor Naomi sniff

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    Only two people were actually funny. And one did a funny character that mostly landed well, but had a rather shoddy runway imho. From what was presented to us, I didn't have an issue with the four being considered equally on the bottom.

The twist happened a little sooner than expected! Last time it was 5 brought back to pair with 5 each of the final 5 eh?

Looking forward to seeing what story they tell next week, but yeah, week on week I'm more and more Team Manila than anyone else. She's really showing how it is done, and she understands how to help create some great tv.

Manila was on fucking POINT! Has been for a few weeks now.

But Ru, please, stop with the fuckery and let us have a normal competition please. We don't need a ZOMGTWIST!!! every season, babe.
    post28!

That was a waste of an entire episode.

I really, really, REALLY don't want any of the eliminated queens to return. I hope the twist is that the eliminated four will lipsync to choose the eliminated fifth. Seriously, I DO NOT WANT TO SEE Gia Gunn trying to be mean (and failing) or Latrice doing absolutely nothing, or Farrah crying because somebody is breathing, or Jasmine because nobody understands her sense of humor. No. This is a group of eliminated queens that deserved to be eliminated from this season because they were not good, period.
    Plus, there's no need to embarrass them making them perform next to Manila.

My surprise this season is Valentina tbh. And not in the good way. I thought she was talented and could do a lot of things... But she's just relaying on her beauty, and I don't think her looks had been so great this season neither. I'm 100% Team Manila now.
    When he woke up, the dinosaur was still there.