Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OMA's 2018 AOTY

^ I really like that Windhand album! I missed the new Emma Ruth Rundle, will def give that a listen later, and A Grave With No Name, I flippin' loved their first album way back when.

Rival Consoles is always an artist I think I like more in theory than I do in practice, but BBC6 played one track off Persona a lot and I did think it was pretty good, so maybe I should give it a fair shake.

Emma Ruth's & Marissa's albums were not my faves by them, but they would rank pretty high anyway.

My top 5 are probably...

The Soft Moon - Criminal
    Them Are Us Too - Amends
    Lycia - In Flickers
    Pram - Across the Meridian
    Nicole Dollanganger - Heart Shaped Bed

Quote Originally Posted by Pete! View Post
    ^ I really like that Windhand album! I missed the new Emma Ruth Rundle, will def give that a listen later, and A Grave With No Name, I flippin' loved their first album way back when.

Rival Consoles is always an artist I think I like more in theory than I do in practice, but BBC6 played one track off Persona a lot and I did think it was pretty good, so maybe I should give it a fair shake.
    Persona isn't a landmark or anything. It's just perfect letter-throwing music. Many mornings I sit in front of a case for up to 3 hours, just sorting letters by address. That album was the right amount of abstract and driving to keep me sane while not distracting me from the work at hand. I just found myself going back to it quite a bit.

A Grave With No Name's 3rd-most-recent LP was such a perfect Sparklehorse album, I went back and consumed all I could find (I listed his debut way back as well, but lost track thereafter). This is a stripped down version of said Linkous-homage, more or less. A meditation on the death of his grandmother. It's fairly bleak and mellow, like me.
    Last edited by Brian; 01-08-2019 at 02:09 AM.

I mean, seriously though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O04-U4j3YIg

I played this for a friend of mine, a huge Sparklehorse fan, and told him it was an unreleased track, and it wasn't until the guitar solo that he cried foul.

Alt Universe CliqueMember Spikey's Avatar
    the only four albums that I listen regularly back to back for 2018 are;

The Daysleepers - Creation
    Vansire - Angel Youth
    Still Corners - Slow Air
    Film School - Bright to Death
    "Replies are a combination of nonsense, unrelated comments and inside jokes"‎

This User Is Really Gay jasonhicks's Avatar
    Honestly there was almost nothing I cared about that came out last year (nearly every artist I love dropped something in 2017). I struggled to have enough for a top 10 lol.

1. Ex:Re - Ex:Re (solo project of Daughter singer/guitarist Elena Tonra)
    2. High as Hope - Florence and the Machine
    3. Bloom - Troye Sivan
    4. Make My Bed - King Princess (can't wait for her to blow up when her debut comes out. she's going to be everywhere)
    5. Be the Cowboy - Mitski
    6. Sharp Objects (Music from the HBO Limited Series) - Various
    7. Sweetener - Ariana Grande
    8. 7 - Beach House
    9. Camila - Camila Cabello
    10. MassEducation - St. Vincent (gave it a few listens and probably will never again despite MASSEDUCTION being one of my top 5 albums ever)
    we're two slow dancers, last ones out

Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    Still Corners - Slow Air
    I just heard a track from this that reminded me of Slowdive and now I NEED IT.

Alt Universe CliqueMember Spikey's Avatar
    Im not just branching out to dream pop, Im completely stuck there - all four of the albums I posted I guess are in that spectrum
    "Replies are a combination of nonsense, unrelated comments and inside jokes"‎

My Beekeeper list is bigger than my AOTY list :P

^ oh speaking of which do we have a 2018 Beekeeper Awards thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    My Beekeeper list is bigger than my AOTY list :P
    (Mine's Robyn)
    *runs away*
    post28!

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    I haven't ranked them - just gone album by album as it's come into my head...

Kylie - "Golden"
    I'm a fan of Kylie's vocals, and she's got a very defined identity in sound that's been crafted and refined as she took control of her career in the early 90s. Bringing a country flavour into her sound was a risk, but her involvement in the songwriting process makes the result a very personal album that helps bring the different elements together. It feels like a very natural fit. There's an endless joy in the music of Kylie, and the optimism of her sound
    Favourite: Lifetime To Repair https://youtu.be/lKZIlwGFdPM

Tracey Thorn - "Record"
    If you needed some dance pop with a dose of melancholy and maturity in 2018, then this was the record you needed. With a solid 4 decades of a career already, this solo album from Tracey Thorn is a delightful surprise. Her autobiography from 2013 was titled "Bedsit Disco Queen" which tells you a lot about what to expect from her music! There's a confidence and maturity to her music but you can still dance around the kitchen to it and let loose.
    Favourite: Queen https://youtu.be/KVw7fdB8gXM

Laurie Anderson & Kronos Quartet - "Landfall"
    A gorgeous series of elegies to the destruction and aftermath of hurricane Sandy that stands alone without the full multimedia of the performance piece. The music blends electronic elements with the quartet and the sparse vocals and spoken word. It'll draw you in and feels deeply
    Favourite: The Water Rises https://youtu.be/MlVXBxAuDGw

Robyn - "Honey"
    Yay! She's back. And not just giving us Body Talk Part 100. I was really pleased to hear a new development in her sound, and loving the more chilled electronic style on this record. It sounds like sunny daytime driving music, as opposed to a night of drunken crying while dancing in your bedroom that we got with the big hits from Body Talk. Her melodies are as strong as ever but the production is more confident than even what we saw on her earlier records.
    Favourite: Ever Again https://youtu.be/1_R9I9xtpQ8

Kathryn Joseph - "From When I Wake The Want Is"
    At times it feels like one microphone was set up near a piano and someone just clicked record as Kathryn sat down to play. The record feels intimate and at times like you've just stumbled into a room where she's playing. Stumbled across her music in the movie "Outlaw King" and just had to find out who was singing the beautiful rendition of "Land O The Leal" that plays over the end credits. One of my favourite new discoveries this past year.
    Favourite: Weight https://youtu.be/Scvmw3SEluE

Zephyr Quartet - "Aspirations"
    My favourite theatre piece last year was an australian play called "The Aspirations Of Daise Morrow", staged in the round, with one of the members of the string quartet at the head of each section of the audience. The music written for the play is absolutely gorgeous, alternately backdropping the play's dialogue, and coming to the fore as a voice of its own within the play. It stands alone as wonderful string quartet music that is atmospheric, melodic, and pulsing in equal measures. If you're looking for some instrumental music this is some of the loveliest I heard last year.
    Favourite: Driving https://youtu.be/jKgSIZCxhSQ

Ashley Henry & the RE:ensemble - "Easter - EP"
    I was blown away by this guy when I saw him playing at the Galway Jazz Festival. This jazz is vibrant, energised, and very much alive. If you're looking for some talented piano playing, and a future star in the jazz world, this is one name to watch.
    Favourite: The World Is Yours https://youtu.be/JHZNSWtm4gY

St. Vincent - "MassEducation"
    Although the best thing St Vincent released in 2018 was undoubtedly "Fast Slow Disco", this record of stripped down piano + voice versions of the songs from "Masseduction" is a treat, showcasing the strength of the core songwriting itself on that record.
    Favourite: Los Ageless (piano version) https://youtu.be/5Wr1fkUNEAY

Mary Poppins Returns OST
    Amazing new songs, with the same kind small nods to the original movie as you'll spot in the movie itself. Holds their own against some big expectations from songs people have been loving for 50 years. These songs will worm their way in and you'll finding yourself suffering from a case of ear-worm-itis pretty quickly.
    Favourite: Nowhere To Go But Up https://youtu.be/oM-A38vXmvI

Honourable Mentions:

- Prince - "Piano & A Microphone 1983" - A snapshot of a genuis at work. I never quite realised how
    - Ludwig Goransson - "Black Panther Original Score" - One of the finest movie soundtracks of the year. The percussion in particular is absolutely stunning.
    - Cher - "Dancing Queen" - a legend singing some legendary songs. Because why not. She's living for it.
    - LP - "Heart To Mouth" After the huge international success of "Lost On You", I was wondering how she would follow up, but this record builds on that success, and goes a bit more overtly electronic pop in direction. Her voice though, is as remarkable as ever.
    - Imogen Heap - "The Music of Harry Potter and the Cursed Child" - reworked old melodies and new music sit alongside each other well. There's enough familiar material being drawn upon that you can play "spot the song" and enough new music that gives you that Imogen-ness that is so identifiable.